Musical Concerts or live gigs you have been to see

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Musical Concerts or live gigs you have been to see

Post by cheffy007 »

Sniffer wrote:It's still the live music era, Cheffy. I've seen a couple of bands this month - mates bands - old gits making a joyful racket. ;) Next weekend (I think) I'll be watching a young band - sons of mates - at their single release gig. They are already on the 6Music playlist. If that sort of thing still exists. I've seen 4 other "bigger" artists this year, including Squeeze's Glenn Tilbrook who was awesome. I've got a festival coming up in August too, so that's another dozen or so live acts.

Just found a programme for The Police's 1983 Synchronicity Tour mega-gig at the NEC Birmingham. It was a cracking gig. I'm no drummer but I was in awe of Stewart Copeland's drumming. Andy Summers was a guitar god and that Sting bloke was no slouch. Page 5 has a list of quotes from various publications. Woman's World said "The record sensation of 1983 is definitely Synchronicity by The Police". And who can argue with that?
Sniffer I was at that Police gig, the Alarm were support if I remember correctly. A truly great night. I’m still seeing live music, but mainly in pubs and small local venues, a few tribute bands and some awesome acoustic stuff.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

cheffy007 wrote:
Sniffer wrote:It's still the live music era, Cheffy. I've seen a couple of bands this month - mates bands - old gits making a joyful racket. ;) Next weekend (I think) I'll be watching a young band - sons of mates - at their single release gig. They are already on the 6Music playlist. If that sort of thing still exists. I've seen 4 other "bigger" artists this year, including Squeeze's Glenn Tilbrook who was awesome. I've got a festival coming up in August too, so that's another dozen or so live acts.

Just found a programme for The Police's 1983 Synchronicity Tour mega-gig at the NEC Birmingham. It was a cracking gig. I'm no drummer but I was in awe of Stewart Copeland's drumming. Andy Summers was a guitar god and that Sting bloke was no slouch. Page 5 has a list of quotes from various publications. Woman's World said "The record sensation of 1983 is definitely Synchronicity by The Police". And who can argue with that?
Sniffer I was at that Police gig, the Alarm were support if I remember correctly. A truly great night. I’m still seeing live music, but mainly in pubs and small local venues, a few tribute bands and some awesome acoustic stuff.
Yes, I think you're right. I'd forgotten about them. I drove up there with a load of mates packed into my first car, a beaten up old Volvo. The exhaust had cracked in the middle and it was held together with a tin can and some bits of wire. It fell off on the way back so most of the way home it sounded like I was flying an old bomber. :)
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Fleetwood Mac twice (Maine Road in 88 & Wembley 90 or 91)
Queen 3 times ( Birmingham NEC in 84 and Wembley & Knebworth in 86)
Bjork a few times in late 90's / early 2000's (Shepherd's Bush Empire, Wembley Arena & Royal Opera House among the venues)
Status Quo and The Alarm when they were supporting Queen in 86
John Parr and Richard Marx accoustic set in Liverpool (3 or 4 years ago)
The Bootleg Beatles twice (Halifax Victoria both times)
Barry Manilow when the wife was supposed to go with her Mother but was Ill so I went instead.
Rick Astley & Take That last week which is the worst concert I've been to and trying to erase it from my memory

Forgot Duran Duran at Leeds Arena and A-Ha in Manchester
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Just back from the Eagles at the Leeds arena, for guys in their 70's they played for two and a half hours which included THREE encores.

Vince Gill and Deacon Frey were special guests with Deacon taking over his late father's mantle and was superb.

I can die a happy man having seen these LEGENDS and yes Joe Walsh is still as daft as they come but what a musician and singer.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Just picked up on this thread, it had ran it's course before I joined LUFC Talk.
Reading these posts bring back a lot of memories for me, very happy memories as I have always loved music.
Been many years since I saw bands regularly.
Started out mid 1960's watching soul artists, remember seeing Eddie Floyd, Four Tops( Manchester Odeon), William Bell & the Cruisers, Edwin Starr, The Fantastics, Freda Payne,Jimmy Ruffin, Inez & Charlie Fox(Skegness football ground), Junior Walker & the All Stars.This Junior Walker gig was one of the best shows I ever attended, There was spontaneous atmosphere and magic in that old style ballroom that night. A good Leeds band out of Chapeltown at that time, Sammy Small & the Union Blues, never made it big, but a great show in clubs and pubs, I was working in the engineering trade with Sammy at that time.We used to drink in the Britannia in Holbeck, one of Jack Charlton's watering holes.
Moving on to late 60's early 70's, it's more of a blues rock/progressive scene.The Nice, Keith Emmerson's band before ELP, saw them 3 times then ELP at leeds Town hall, first gig after debut at Isle of White 70.Jethro Tull at the new Marquee, Deep Purple 3 times, first time practically unknown, they had just recorded 'Hush', their breakthrough into the charts.Procol Harum at leeds University. John Mayall's bluesbreakers,Soft Machine, a highly regarded jazz/rock band.Joe cocker & Grease band at the marquee. Rory Gallagher and Taste also marquee,Remember performance was interrupted by police, almost a riot. Humble Pie,at leeds Uni, just been formed by Steve Marriot from the small Faces and Pete Frampton from the Herd.One night I never forget at the New Marquee, performance by 'The Gods',They were the curtain raisers, fantastic blues,after the headline band played, the Gods set up their gear on the dance floor and gave another performance.Mick Taylor of the Stones was an original member, but he had moved on by that time, other members of the band later joined Jethro Tull, Uriah Heep, Greg lake was also with them for a year. Kevin Ayers and the Whole World, progressive, was a wild night at Leeds Polytechnic, I'm with a girl on our first date, we're in a pub nearby well dressed and I run into a friend who tells me about the gig, so we decide to go also.We didn't exactly fit in with the attire most people had on, one group there dancing totally naked covered in green dye.Eclection members from all over the world at the marquee, a sort of jefferson Airplane sound.
Couple of bands while I'm in Africa worth mentioning, J'oburg Hawk, toured the bigger cities, combining rock/african rhythms. Another band,legendary in those parts of Southern Africa, 'Harare Mambos", one of my wife's brothers played in the band. In those days, Harare was a suburb of Salisbury, Rhodesia, when Rhodesia became Zimbabwe, the capital city of Salisbury was re named Harare.
Early 80's I took my 2 sons to their first gig, Genesis, at the Veterans colloseum, Uniondale, New York. That was about the time of 'Acadab' and 'Duke'.
Not so much in recent years, New Riders of the Purple sage,a grateful dead sounding jam band with a huge cult following here in the states. Old friend of my Wife's family Oliver Mtukudzi,world known African recording artist, at a waterside concert in Providence,we talked after the show but didn't have long as he was playing Toronto next night, another BIL played with Oliver in the early days, Oliver stayed true to traditional african music, BIL Brian went the rock and roll route.
You will not believe this but I went to see Davy Jones of the Monkees and his band. A relative bought show and meals for a family group. I actually enjoyed it, more of a comedy show, although his young band were excellent. Interesting band I saw a few years ago, 'Lake Street dive', voted best new band by Rolling Stone magazine that year, going from strength to strength.In the 1990's my eldest son was playing with a band, 'Rainforest', they played a residency at the punk club CBGB's down in New York, where Ramones, Blondie, Pattie Smith all played.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Well done Saxon, its good to occasionally bring back old threads that many newer members may have missed :thumbup:

Saying that Covid has stopped me seeing anyone in the last couple of years so nothing to add from my previous post on here.

Still enjoy reading others posts on here some come on folks tell us your stories.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Pretty sure the first band I saw live was Country Jug at The Bear in Hounslow. It was 1970 and Mungo Jerry were No 1 with 'In the summertime' and CJ had a similar sound.

Next would be Curved Air at my school's concert in Hammersmith; a very innovative sound at the time combining classical violin and rock anthems. Met my first ever date Gaynor that evening. Next up at the Hammesmith Odeon was Santana; it was shortly before the release of their follow-up album to Abraxas. There was a long wait until they came on but when they did they just started playing and it was magic. Still one of the best gigs I ever went to. Found the ticket the other day, just 50 pence :lol: Another concert was to see a band called Osibisa playing rock/pop laced with African rhythms.

In 1972 I went to Leeds Uni and it was de rigeur to go to the Students Union buildiing for a concert on a Saturday night. Impossible to recall all of the gigs; Barclay James Harvest sticks in the mind because of the protests about them having played in South Africa. Saw Santana again but most memorable was Steely Dan featuring Michael McDonald on backing vocals; also one of my favourite concerts ever.

One of my best friends to this day, Ken, is an excellent guitarist and used to go to see his band's gigs in and around Leeds. In 1977 he was part of a short lived jazz-rock three piece called Fatso's Mac; they played a gig at the Eldon opposite the Uni's Engineering department and their rendition of Jeff Beck's Led Boots will always stay with me.

Post Uni the concert going dropped off. I do remember going to see David Gates (minus Bread) at the Albert Hall. Bizarrely I can tell you the exact date it was 5th of June 1978 :crazy: Why do I remember? because on that day it was 12:34 on 5/6/78 :lol: During this time also saw Weather Report whose supporting act was Earth, Wind and Fire - rather a mis-match of genres wouldn't you say :crazy:

Don't recall any concerts at all after I moved to Derby in 1979; first marriage and kids followed in the 1980's, think the only gigs I went to were Leeds games :lol: it was my most intense period of following the club. After we moved to France I recall going to see Toto playing in a marquee on the seafront in Nice - I later saw them at the Monaco Sporting club when on holiday - they are one of my favourites to this day. Then followed Houston TX which had an oustandingly good music scene from intimate clubs to full-on concerts with major names. Saw Steely Dan at least twice (my kids' first concert), Doobie Brothers, Tears for Fears, James Taylor and Sade. The latter was memorable for making an enterance bare-footed, a la Sandy Shaw, and she just started singing; I've got goosebumps now recalling her charisma. However that was quickly dispelled when she started talking - a really heavy south London accent, oh dear :lol: Of the smaller gigs I remember Acoustic Alchemy, a British outfit playing what some might dismiss as elevator music, but I enjoyed it.

And my final memory is, I'd say the last major concert I went to in Frankfurt. Yes you've guessed it Steely Dan :lol: The gig was spolit by poor acoustics in the hall.

Went a few times to see The Last Pedestrians at The Lion here in Basford, Notts; some of the line up had been in a band called Plummet Airlines whom I'd seen at the Cavern Club in Liverpool during the 70's. Their closest brush with fame was as a support act to Dire Straits.

At venues such as The Grey Horse Elvington (York), The World's End Knaresborough and St Nicholas hotel Scarborough I saw Ken's band Feeding Demons playing mostly 1970's rock standards. The last mentioned is memorable as it was for the local branch of AA; I had to pretend to be a roadie helping to set up the band's gear in order to access the gig.

Mrs MW isn't really a fan of the music I like, so haven't been to any gigs for a long time......
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

The last gig I went to was a comedy gig at Ashton Gate. Russell Howard. Very funny, very Bristolian and playing up to a home crowd.

The last Music gig was Julian Cope at a fairly intimate venue in Bristol, The Fleece. Small enough that local bands have played there in the past (including mine many years ago). The Cope gig was in Feb/March last year just before the first lockdown. We were due to go to a festival last month but other things got in the way. We should, finally, be getting to see live music again next month when we go to see the sweetly bonkers Paloma Faith in Bath.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just chatting with Mrs SW and without out any foreign holidays on the horizon we are thinking of treating ourselves to a few gigs in the coming months (both small or big venue) and spend some of our holiday budget.
Just been to London and did a theatre show, first time at a inside event of any description since Covid, time to do more I think.

Could be a debate who we go see as we have a few different tastes but a few similar, watch this space.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’m not massively into music, if I’m in the car, it’s generally Radio 5 Live, Talksport or similar.

However, I’ve accompanied Mrs BB to a few concerts, Jake Bugg, Mumford & Sons but the best concert by an absolute mile were The Killers, absolutely outstanding in every department.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.