Musical Concerts or live gigs you have been to see

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Musical Concerts or live gigs you have been to see

Post by Sniffer »

Barlow Boy wrote:I’m not massively into music, if I’m in the car, it’s generally Radio 5 Live, Talksport or similar.

However, I’ve accompanied Mrs BB to a few concerts, Jake Bugg, Mumford & Sons but the best concert by an absolute mile were The Killers, absolutely outstanding in every department.
I've seen The Killers a couple of times, BB. The first time at the IoW Festival a few years back. My better half said "I don't really know them but I'd like to hear Mr Brightside". I said "that'll probably be the encore but let's have a listen."
First up was Mr Brightside followed by half a dozen other songs we knew but didn't know were by them. About 3 years ago we saw them again and they were fantastic. She got me their latest CD yesterday for my birthday. :)
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Sniffer wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:I’m not massively into music, if I’m in the car, it’s generally Radio 5 Live, Talksport or similar.

However, I’ve accompanied Mrs BB to a few concerts, Jake Bugg, Mumford & Sons but the best concert by an absolute mile were The Killers, absolutely outstanding in every department.
I've seen The Killers a couple of times, BB. The first time at the IoW Festival a few years back. My better half said "I don't really know them but I'd like to hear Mr Brightside". I said "that'll probably be the encore but let's have a listen."
First up was Mr Brightside followed by half a dozen other songs we knew but didn't know were by them. About 3 years ago we saw them again and they were fantastic. She got me their latest CD yesterday for my birthday. :)
In early January of last year just before covid broke, I spent a few days for a wedding in Las Vegas, the Killers home town.
The best part of the whole trip was seeing the Killers laser light show on the dome of the enclosed Freemont street.
I actually posted a youtube video of the show on the 'what are you currently listening to?' thread. Brilliant.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

We saw The Killers at the MEN in Manchester, they were utterly superb and then at Sheffield Arena. As you guys say, they are superb in concert. I’ve got their latest CD, as a present for my wife’s birthday in a couple of weeks.

Incidentally, as many know my wife was very seriously ill some time ago, and Brandon Flowers sent a handwritten get well card to the rehabilitation unit she was in at the time. Nice touch.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Looking forward to James at the the 3Arena Dublin in Dec. First gig for 2 years. Support by The Happy Mondays :D

My original 2019 post in this thread included the last gigs I've been to (The Cure at Malahide Castle) and mentions the brilliant live experience that James are. Can't wait.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Reading me got me suggesting to Mrs SW that we need a to plan a few good nights out so after a look to see who is playing we've booked to see Blondie at the Leeds Arena in November which was my choice (was a big Blondie fan back in the day). Garbage are opening for them.

So Mrs SW's choice is in December and she requested to see Jane MacDonald :crazy: as you loves her Cruise TV series so its a night with Wakefields finest in December again at Leeds arena.

On that note as anyone attended a gig at Leeds Arena ?
If yes what time do they usually finish (they are 6pm start) ?

Would rather go on train so can have a meal and couple of drinks before but depends whether can catch last train.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote: On that note as anyone attended a gig at Leeds Arena ?

Would rather go on train so can have a meal and couple of drinks before but depends whether can catch last train.
I’d check with the venue SW, but I think you’ll find it’s doors open at 6pm, then they’ll be a warm up band, a break and then Blondie. To give you an idea, when we went to see Jake Bugg, it was doors open at 6.30, but he didn’t come on until 9pm.

As I say, check with the venue as they’ll be able to give you the full timings.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote: On that note as anyone attended a gig at Leeds Arena ?

I’d check with the venue SW, but I think you’ll find it’s doors open at 6pm, then they’ll be a warm up band, a break and then Blondie. To give you an idea, when we went to see Jake Bugg, it was doors open at 6.30, but he didn’t come on until 9pm.

As I say, check with the venue as they’ll be able to give you the full timings.
Have done but they wont give guarantees as it varies as you say based on when the act gets on stage.
Last train is 10-53pm on a Sunday so would need to leave venue at 10.30 so will opt for the car.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

[quote="Selby White"]Reading me got me suggesting to Mrs SW that we need a to plan a few good nights out so after a look to see who is playing we've booked to see Blondie at the Leeds Arena in November which was my choice (was a big Blondie fan back in the day). Garbage are opening for them.

Yesterday was listening on you tube, came across videos of Blondie live in Havana,Cuba, 2019.
The 2 concerts were part of a cultural exchange program, initiated by President Obama, but then discontinued by Trump.
The band played with backing of a full orchestra, a new take on Dreaming, Tide is high, Rapture, and Heart of Glass, actually liked the smoother sound better than the originals, but Debbie did manage a growl here and there.
I think it's great that artists like this are still pounding it out all these years later.
Have a great time SW, hope you enjoy the show.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Selby White wrote:Reading me got me suggesting to Mrs SW that we need a to plan a few good nights out so after a look to see who is playing we've booked to see Blondie at the Leeds Arena in November which was my choice (was a big Blondie fan back in the day) .
Tour has been put on Ice so dates have been changed to May next year.

Another blast from the past but just booked tickets to see Hazel O'Connor in March as she is playing Selby Town Hall.

Well when you can walk to the venue why not ? :D
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Selby White wrote:
Another blast from the past but just booked tickets to see Hazel O'Connor in March as she is playing Selby Town Hall.

Well when you can walk to the venue why not ? :D
Be careful SW. Watch out for any breaking glass.