Worst Offender

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Worst Offender

Post by Selby White »

Sports based but a simple question who is the worst offender the person commit the offence (eg, Footballer kicking someone deliberately or the player retaliating by taking a swing).

Ok I realise some retaliation could possibly be out of proportion but I'm talking about like for like.

Another - If a player verbally abuses another is it ok to verbally abuse back ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Worst Offender

Post by Sniffer »

Retaliation is stupid. Understandable perhaps, but stupid. Why would you want to get booked or sent off because you were fouled. As for verbals, a bit of banter is fine (some incredibly funny sledging in cricket) but if the line is crossed in to racial/sexual slurs it gets nasty. So, physical retaliation is worse because it's stupid and just the reaction the original offender wanted but for verbal abuse it is the original offender that is worse. Probably.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I always waited until about the 85th minute before I got my retaliation in. Retaliation is only stupid if the original offence is relatively innocuous . If someone tries to break your leg then it is open season.
I once played against Don Revie.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

johnh wrote:I always waited until about the 85th minute before I got my retaliation in. Retaliation is only stupid if the original offence is relatively innocuous . If someone tries to break your leg then it is open season.
I understand what you mean, John, but has the game not moved on a hell of a lot? TV cameras are everywhere now. I don't think you could get away with "open season" nowadays.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I think retaliation is usually spontaneous and unplanned rather than stupid TBH.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Another Northern Soul wrote:I think retaliation is usually spontaneous and unplanned rather than stupid TBH.
Ok, let me rephrase that as I agree with you to a certain extent. Retaliation is a spontaneous and unplanned reaction to a physical attack but in a sporting scenario, where cameras are watching your every move, it is an unprofessional and unintelligent response. I appreciate that emotion is a powerful driver in how we react but we are talking about professional sportsmen who should act professionally. If I, in a work environment, retaliated to a stroppy client by thumping them it wouldn't be appreciated by my employer. I have to control my emotions and act professionally. Is it too much to expect professional footballers to do the same?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Sniffer wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:I think retaliation is usually spontaneous and unplanned rather than stupid TBH.
Ok, let me rephrase that as I agree with you to a certain extent. Retaliation is a spontaneous and unplanned reaction to a physical attack but in a sporting scenario, where cameras are watching your every move, it is an unprofessional and unintelligent response. I appreciate that emotion is a powerful driver in how we react but we are talking about professional sportsmen who should act professionally. If I, in a work environment, retaliated to a stroppy client by thumping them it wouldn't be appreciated by my employer. I have to control my emotions and act professionally. Is it too much to expect professional footballers to do the same?
Yes bud, it is. I am NOT defending them but spontaneous, impulsive reactions/retaliations are more natural than consideration and intelligence for a lot of people. Berardi I know is decent and intelligent man but blimey... (you know the rest!) :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Big Jack's black book was meticulously planned. :lol:
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

johnh wrote:
I genuinely think he learned a big lesson when he retaliated like a maniac against Valencia in 66 or 67 I think. He was captain for the night as well and while he was in the right, he reacted very wrongly. At least his mythical black book was fair, it was a very different game then and players dished it out and took the retaliations as fair behaviour. You obviously know much more about it than I, John :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
johnh wrote:
I genuinely think he learned a big lesson when he retaliated like a maniac against Valencia in 66 or 67 I think. He was captain for the night as well and while he was in the right, he reacted very wrongly. At least his mythical black book was fair, it was a very different game then and players dished it out and took the retaliations as fair behaviour. You obviously know much more about it than I, John :D
Yes ANS. Every time I have a shower, the scars remind me. :D