Britain's top 10 'cr*p towns' - 2019

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Britain's top 10 'cr*p towns' - 2019

Post by daib0 »

Seen this?

Britain's top 10 'crap towns' revealed - does your area make the list?

The poll from ilivehere.co.uk claims these are the UK's least inspiring towns and cities - and some locals aren't holding back. This first was publicized in February in the Daily Mirror - https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... s-14031127 - but with the holiday period upon us I thought it a good moment to recuperate!

Here a resume:
1 - Peterborough
2 - Huddersfield
3 - Rochdale
4 - Doncaster
5 - Hull
6 - Rotherham
7 - Blackpool
8 - Castleford
9 - Oldham
10 - Blackburn

Personally I don’t know every place, but most of these, and I wouldn’t have placed Blackpool or Peterborough in there. I was half expecting Reading or Slough from Berkshire to peep in.

Which ones would you have kept, and which others would you have introduced?!
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Britain's top 10 'cr*p towns' - 2019

Post by Selby White »

I've visited every town on that list :shock:

In my opinion some deserve to be there but not all, Castleford is ok and Hull as improved a lot in recent times.
Agree Slough is a good shout and I'll add my all time favorite Dunstable, both would be on my list.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I keep seeing TV programmes on Blackpool & it really does look a proper dive. I’m going to add the following Great Yarmouth, Redcar, Long Eaton & Middlesbrough.
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I lived in Castleford for 30 odd years, it was a lovely place to live back then, everyone knew everyone, you could leave your doors open etc.

I’m afraid to say, it’s an utter dump now. My dad still lives there (albeit in a very nice area), but I’d really like him out of there, it’s awful.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:. I’m going to add the following Long Eaton.
I've actually played table tennis at Long Eaton and Draycott table tennis club a few times. :shock:
Although the venue is in Draycott. :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I think probably any of the old seaside resorts could feature Scarborough, Blackpool, Great Yarmouth & Cromer all spring to mind. These were marvellous places in Victorian times but sadly now lack any improvements over the years & are now just full of Pound Shops & charity shops. Sadly I can’t see things improving in the near future either. Torquay for example has spent millions on the harbour & marina but the shopping area is really run down.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Must agree on Slough, avoid it like the plague. Would put Skelmersdale near the top and Birkenhead must figure somewhere.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Very provocative, lists like that.
I could quite happily list ten towns that are full of overblown toffs and snobs that I wouldn't want to live in either ..

The people make a city IMHO.

Basildon is an armpit though and I haven't seen it mentioned ;)
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Add Burnley & Morecambe :)
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

I was born in bred in Huddersfield and lived there until 1990 before living in London for 15 years. When I moved back I couldn't believe how much it had changed. I suppose it was never outstanding, just your normal town with good and bad areas. Now it's a total sh**hole. A few years ago a soldier was home from a tour and was shot at while drinking in his local pub, so I guess it could be rated as dangerous as Afghanistan. I don't go into the town much at all now except for the odd trip to B&Q or to see my 2 brothers who still live there.

Edit: I'm surprised Bradford isn't on the list. I drive in and around there 4 nights a week working and is the worst place I see on a regular basis.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.