What you reading

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: What you reading

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Sniffer wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Just about to start Peter Robinson’s latest book Many Rivers to Cross. I enjoy his books & they’re consistently a good read.
I've got a few of his, they're very good. Not quite Ian Rankin but close. Have you read any of Henning Mankel's Wallander series?
I'm not reading anything at the moment as I find it too tiring on top of having to read for work. I've got a couple of weeks off in July, though, so I might try and catch up with unread books then.

Peter James is my favourite crime author but his books will be best read in sequence. Based in Brighton & feature DCI Roy Grace. Highly recommend
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I’m a fan of Colin Dexter and RD Wingfield both excellent crime writers. It’s funny that Dexters Morse was a heavy drinking, smoker and womaniser different to how the marvellous John Thaw portrayed him. Yet David Jason is the exact character Wingfield writes about in Frost. Also 2 definite cases of the books being better than the TV shows.
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

During the early days of lockdown, I went up into the loft and unearthed a bunch of Christopher Brookmyre's books, to start re-reading them again.

I mentioned this on another forum I frequent, and there's a couple of folks now firmly hooked on them.

Crime, with a bit of daftness and lots of humour included, and with recurring characters, they're worth a mention here, and are cheap as chips on Fleabay. :thumbup:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Currently reading Just A Few Lines the unseen letters of memorabilia of Brian Close. BC did national service with Major Frank Buckley as his CO. Lots of mentions of Leeds United as BC was an avid fan as well as playing the odd game for the club. He wrote many letters over a number of years to his best friend John who kept all the letters & memorabilia such as signed postcards of teams he played against. It’s a lovely read & I get mentioned in the subscribes list at the back of the book plus the book is signed by the author David Warner.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Henry Blofeld's autobiography, 'Over and Out'. Two thirds of the way through it.
I once played against Don Revie.
zenmaster
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by zenmaster »

Started this :

no clinging no resisting
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Just about to start reading Black City by Fernando Gamboa.
Chilihead
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Chilihead »

Started re-reading Footfall a couple days ago. I first read it probably 30 years ago.

I'm a hardcore Sci-Fi fan. Footfall is generally considered the best Alien Invasion story written to date. In this story the invaders evolved from herd animals. The psychology aspect of the invaders is a big part of the story and very interesting. It takes place in the 1970's, so Russia is written as the other world power.
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Peter Robinson’s latest DCI Banks novel Many Rivers to Cross. He’s one of my favourite authors & a lot of the plots are set in Leeds. The TV series is enjoyable with Stephen Tompkinson playing the lead role.