What you reading

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: What you reading

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Read a cracking WWII novel on holiday.
I forgot to pack my Kindle having loaded lots of new E-books on it and only had a single compendium of short sci-fi classics with me. Luckily, here in the cottage I found one 'blokey' book in amongst the pulp romance and kids stuff - Tuesday's War, by David Fiddimore.

It tells the tale of a Lancaster crew based in Cambridgeshire and is part adventure, part war thriller and part romance. At first I wasn't sure because it's pretty sexist initially but then you realise the author is using the language of a young pilot who would've talked like that during this period in our history and it becomes part and parcel of the story itself. After fifty pages I was hooked. One major element is a fiercely independent female character who is employed by the authorities to ferry aircraft round the country to and from various military bases : either new deliveries or modified/repaired jobbies, depending on what and where she goes.

Not sure if I'm painting a good enough picture but it's well written, highly original and really evocative - the details about the period itself are fascinating and for anyone who remembers rationing it should be riveting.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Will look out for that Rigger. Many of the ladies who ferried aircraft around the country, operated out of White Waltham aerodrome in Maidenhead. The Maidenhead Advertiser did an article some years ago and featured one lady, well into her 90's at the time of the article, who ferried about a dozen different types of aircraft (including Spitfires). She said that she even ferried planes that she had never flown before and had to read the manual before she took off! Amazing ladies.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

You'll fall in love with one of them if you read the book, John.
Deleted User 728

Oh, and it's the first of a trilogy, apparently.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Bloody Southerners by Spencer Vignes, The story of Brian Clough`s reign as Brighton manager, good read with a lot of quotes from players at the time which doesn't put Clough in a good light. Next up Daniel Chapman`s 100 years of Leeds United which I had as a birthday pressie.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Lies by TM Logan.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Finally finished After Extra Time (Dirty Leeds Uncut).

I’ve laughed, cheered and even cried :oops: with this one. Cracking read, and highly recommended.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

A collection of short stories by Robert Heinlein.
I'm currently on The Roads Must Roll https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roads_Must_Roll
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Barlow Boy wrote:Finally finished After Extra Time (Dirty Leeds Uncut).

I’ve laughed, cheered and even cried :oops: with this one. Cracking read, and highly recommended.
:clap: :clap: :thumbup:

I understand the author did too.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Currently reading a book about the men from Pickering, North Yorkshire who served during the two World Wars. It’s a very moving piece of work. My grandfather & 3 uncles all have pieces written about them. One of my uncles was actually awarded 15 star & victory & British War medals, serving in the Royal Field Artillery.
Winner of the Europa League