What you reading

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

What you reading

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I’ve actually got three books on the go.

Last of the Summer Wickets. Basically the book is about Scarborough Cricket Festival.

The Gigante. John Charles’s move to Italy.

Careless Love. Peter Robinson’s number one bestseller.

What you reading at the moment
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Re: What you reading

Post by Deleted User 728 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_and_Again_(novel)

1970 novel about time travel, though not in the usual sense.
There's no apparatus or wondrous machine, but instead the traveler uses self-hypnosis providing he or she is in a place that existed in the time to which they wish to travel, in this case an old apartment block opposite Central Park in NYC that was there in 1882, the year in question.

It's a fascinatingly detailed account of the period and a bit of a mystery/thriller rather than a pure sci-fi story and it's also one of the most alluring books I've read in a while.

It wasn't easy to find a copy either - I think it's been out of print for a while ..

Got a few football books to catch-up on as well as a whole raft of hard sci-fi.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Cured, Lol Tolhurst autobiography.
Ex drummer/keyboardist with The Cure, detailing his rise with the band, fall through substance abuse and subsequent redemption.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

kk_white wrote:Cured, Lol Tolhurst autobiography.
Ex drummer/keyboardist with The Cure, detailing his rise with the band, fall through substance abuse and subsequent redemption.
Loved the Cure in those days 8-)

Always got a number of books on the go, not always for leisure unfortunately.

What I'm reading by choice is a Marvel Comics History book - I love these things, big coffee-table type publications, full colour. A couple of Yorkshire Ripper books, I have a whole pile of Michael Connelly books to get through ('Bosch' is a great character) and just arrived, The Deaths and Afterlife of Aleister Crowley by Ian Thornton, good bloke and LU fan :D
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Ken Follett's, Pillars of the Earth .The book traces the development of Gothic architecture out of the preceding Romanesque architecture, and the fortunes of the Kingsbridge priory and village against the backdrop of historical events of the time. Sounds dull but it’s an excellent read.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

ChilwellWhite wrote:Ken Follett's, Pillars of the Earth .The book traces the development of Gothic architecture out of the preceding Romanesque architecture, and the fortunes of the Kingsbridge priory and village against the backdrop of historical events of the time. Sounds dull but it’s an excellent read.
Channel 4 did this as a mini series starring Ian McShane, was excellent
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Not a great reader in fact quite a period since I read a book.

When I have its normally Sports biography and have a few from Mohammad Ali to Dickie Bird. Last one I read was Tiger Woods someone gave me.

Rather than read am more into doing puzzle books, Sudoku or Logic problems (my fav), must be my mathematical brain :shock:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’ve got two on the go at the moment, funnily enough both written by members of the forum.

DLW’s latest offering, in which I feature several times (I’ll be suing him later :D)

Also, almost finished the excellent (and I mean excellent) After Extra Time (Dirty Leeds Uncut).
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Sue has gone into the city to have her hair done ( how much :wtf: ) meanwhile I’ve been sat in the garden listening to the Test & Reading DCI Banks, managed a glass of Sauvignon as well. Bliss :D
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Barlow Boy wrote:I’ve got two on the go at the moment, funnily enough both written by members of the forum.

DLW’s latest offering, in which I feature several times (I’ll be suing him later :D)

Also, almost finished the excellent (and I mean excellent) After Extra Time (Dirty Leeds Uncut).
Ah man, what a great chap you are :D . Please spread the word far and wide :P