What you reading

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: What you reading

Post by Sniffer »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Is Camus the one who inspired The Cure's 'Killing An Arab' song? I've read that, decent book actually but I know nowt about him otherwise, especially if I've got the wrong fella ;lol:
That's the one: L'Etranger - usually translated as The Outsider or The Stranger. Camus was an interesting bloke by all accounts. He was a member of the French Resistance during the German occupation and edited the banned underground newspaper "Combat". And, as Rigger points out, a goalkeeper.
janecky
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by janecky »

Just getting to the end of Wish You Were Here by Graham Swift.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Sniffer wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Is Camus the one who inspired The Cure's 'Killing An Arab' song? I've read that, decent book actually but I know nowt about him otherwise, especially if I've got the wrong fella ;lol:
That's the one: L'Etranger - usually translated as The Outsider or The Stranger. Camus was an interesting bloke by all accounts. He was a member of the French Resistance during the German occupation and edited the banned underground newspaper "Combat". And, as Rigger points out, a goalkeeper.
Thanks mate, I only read it because of the Cure connection at first, but did hear more about it as time went on too. Reminded me of Catcher in the Rye which is my favourite kind of story really - there's depth in there without it being a million pages long and containing the longest words ever created :P
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

Recently finished:

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry- fantastic read.
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut - as above.
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien - a bit meh.
11/22/63 by Stephen King - typical Stephen King, not a bad read.

Reading:

Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris- much funnier than it sounds
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

I think I'm going to re-read another of Camus' books - The Plague. It seems apt for our current situation.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Sniffer wrote:I think I'm going to re-read another of Camus' books - The Plague. It seems apt for our current situation.
Can I recommend you get hold of a copy of this ?

It's an astounding read - one of those "couldn't put it down" jobs.
It centres on another pandemic - I'm sure you can guess what kind - and how the world deals with it, but actually from the point of view of the person it first affects.
It's won loads of awards and the writer is probably Portugal's finest author.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Sovietmule wrote: 11/22/63 by Stephen King - typical Stephen King, not a bad read.
I loved it.
So involving, you really felt like you were there with all the period details that King himself clearly lived through and enjoyed at the time.

There was a TV adaptation that was really poor - don't bother with it, please .. not even in lockdown.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Ordered Salems Lot of Amazon on Friday. Have read it several times but lost my copy. Going to have Matthew read it. I was a few years younger than him when i read it and it scared the bejeezis out of me.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Dead at first sight by Peter James. All about online dating & how it can go badly wrong.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.