Page 12 of 16

Re: What you reading

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2020, 09:16
by NottinghamWhite
Any author recommendations who’s style is like Lynda la Plante

Re: What you reading

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2020, 09:16
by Wigan White
NottinghamWhite wrote:Nothing Ventured by Jeffery Archer easy reading for the garden.


Didn't know your garden could read. :D

Re: What you reading

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2020, 09:47
by ChilwellWhite
NottinghamWhite wrote:Any author recommendations who’s style is like Lynda la Plante


Try Jeffery Deaver.

Re: What you reading

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2020, 09:03
by NottinghamWhite
Had a delivery from Amazon yesterday with the 3 books in Lynda la Plante’s Widows trilogy. Looking forward to a good read.

Re: What you reading

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 07:18
by NottinghamWhite
NottinghamWhite wrote:Had a delivery from Amazon yesterday with the 3 books in Lynda la Plante’s Widows trilogy. Looking forward to a good read.


A slow start on the first book Widows but really getting into it now

Re: What you reading

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 08:25
by ChilwellWhite
Just started Just a Pilgrim by James Deegan.

Re: What you reading

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 12:15
by rigger
Image

Making a second attempt to read this much-revered SF classic.
I first tried about ten years ago but found it really heavy going with way too much jargon and nonsensical future-tech references. It's the book that first used the term "cyberspace" but also talks extensively about the "matrix" and "microsoft" - in this instance a small piece of insertable hardware, like a memory stick today, that goes in a slot behind the ear of anyone "modified" to receive it.
It's deliberately oblique, the whole book, with the idea that the reader is unsettled in this new world, just like many of the characters in it, most of whom live on the edge.
I'm halfway through and it has got easier the deeper I go.

Don't know if any of you have read American Psycho, but it reminds me of that : another really uncomfortable read till you get to the point when the protagonist is in an alleyway with a tramp and his dog and something happens. From then on I couldn't put it down, but it took me weeks to get to that point.

Re: What you reading

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2020, 09:06
by NottinghamWhite
Just about to start Peter Robinson’s latest book Many Rivers to Cross. I enjoy his books & they’re consistently a good read.

Re: What you reading

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2020, 17:38
by Sniffer
NottinghamWhite wrote:Just about to start Peter Robinson’s latest book Many Rivers to Cross. I enjoy his books & they’re consistently a good read.


I've got a few of his, they're very good. Not quite Ian Rankin but close. Have you read any of Henning Mankel's Wallander series?
I'm not reading anything at the moment as I find it too tiring on top of having to read for work. I've got a couple of weeks off in July, though, so I might try and catch up with unread books then.

Re: What you reading

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2020, 21:17
by Davycc
Sniffer wrote:I'm not reading anything at the moment as I find it too tiring on top of having to read for work. I've got a couple of weeks off in July, though, so I might try and catch up with unread books then.


I can recommend a short novel that will pass a few hours ;)

Spoiler:
The Thrones Murders...... on Amazom


or one for the toddlers this Christmas :D

Spoiler:
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney...... on Amazom