What you reading

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Re: What you reading

Postby rigger » 15 Sep 2019, 17:14

Read a cracking WWII novel on holiday.
I forgot to pack my Kindle having loaded lots of new E-books on it and only had a single compendium of short sci-fi classics with me. Luckily, here in the cottage I found one 'blokey' book in amongst the pulp romance and kids stuff - Tuesday's War, by David Fiddimore.

It tells the tale of a Lancaster crew based in Cambridgeshire and is part adventure, part war thriller and part romance. At first I wasn't sure because it's pretty sexist initially but then you realise the author is using the language of a young pilot who would've talked like that during this period in our history and it becomes part and parcel of the story itself. After fifty pages I was hooked. One major element is a fiercely independent female character who is employed by the authorities to ferry aircraft round the country to and from various military bases : either new deliveries or modified/repaired jobbies, depending on what and where she goes.

Not sure if I'm painting a good enough picture but it's well written, highly original and really evocative - the details about the period itself are fascinating and for anyone who remembers rationing it should be riveting.
If you thought that post was good, you should check out my interesting and constantly surprising blog: http://paulridgeblog.com/
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin

Postby johnh » 15 Sep 2019, 17:37

Will look out for that Rigger. Many of the ladies who ferried aircraft around the country, operated out of White Waltham aerodrome in Maidenhead. The Maidenhead Advertiser did an article some years ago and featured one lady, well into her 90's at the time of the article, who ferried about a dozen different types of aircraft (including Spitfires). She said that she even ferried planes that she had never flown before and had to read the manual before she took off! Amazing ladies.
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Don Revie's bingo caller

Postby rigger » 15 Sep 2019, 17:42

You'll fall in love with one of them if you read the book, John.
If you thought that post was good, you should check out my interesting and constantly surprising blog: http://paulridgeblog.com/
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin

Postby rigger » 15 Sep 2019, 17:43

Oh, and it's the first of a trilogy, apparently.
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin

Postby LAsouthcoast » 15 Sep 2019, 19:03

Bloody Southerners by Spencer Vignes, The story of Brian Clough`s reign as Brighton manager, good read with a lot of quotes from players at the time which doesn't put Clough in a good light. Next up Daniel Chapman`s 100 years of Leeds United which I had as a birthday pressie.
LAsouthcoast
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Postby ChilwellWhite » 16 Sep 2019, 08:32

Lies by TM Logan.
ChilwellWhite
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Postby Barlow Boy » 05 Nov 2019, 13:35

Finally finished After Extra Time (Dirty Leeds Uncut).

I’ve laughed, cheered and even cried :oops: with this one. Cracking read, and highly recommended.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Postby rigger » 05 Nov 2019, 13:48

A collection of short stories by Robert Heinlein.
I'm currently on The Roads Must Roll https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roads_Must_Roll
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin

Postby Another Northern Soul » 05 Nov 2019, 15:28

Barlow Boy wrote:Finally finished After Extra Time (Dirty Leeds Uncut).

I’ve laughed, cheered and even cried :oops: with this one. Cracking read, and highly recommended.

:clap: :clap: :thumbup:

I understand the author did too.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Postby NottinghamWhite » 05 Nov 2019, 16:12

Currently reading a book about the men from Pickering, North Yorkshire who served during the two World Wars. It’s a very moving piece of work. My grandfather & 3 uncles all have pieces written about them. One of my uncles was actually awarded 15 star & victory & British War medals, serving in the Royal Field Artillery.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General