Would a St.George's Day bank holiday stop Brexit ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Would a St.George's Day bank holiday stop Brexit ?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

There's more to it than that but the thought struck me this morning that it's the English who want Brexit more than our celtic brethren, the Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish.
Maybe because they have always been more visibly patriotic in celebrating their own saints' days and what it means to be Welsh, Scottish or Irish they are more secure in their own nationality and appreciate the EU more for the positives it brings than the embittered English, so long afraid to wave their flag for fear of being seen as a racist or a member of the NF.
Seems to me that Euro 96 was a watershed for the George flag - after that, it could be seen more visibly than before, almost as if it had been "won back" from the far right - but still the fact remains that it's not really very English to bang on about being English, is it ?

If there was less of a taboo about it and there was a public holiday and people were "allowed" to celebrate being English as much as the rest of our kingdom, would Brexit have been as much of an issue ??
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Would a St.George's Day bank holiday stop Brexit ?

Post by Another Northern Soul »

rigger wrote:There's more to it than that but the thought struck me this morning that it's the English who want Brexit more than our celtic brethren, the Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish.
Maybe because they have always been more visibly patriotic in celebrating their own saints' days and what it means to be Welsh, Scottish or Irish they are more secure in their own nationality and appreciate the EU more for the positives it brings than the embittered English, so long afraid to wave their flag for fear of being seen as a racist or a member of the NF.
Seems to me that Euro 96 was a watershed for the George flag - after that, it could be seen more visibly than before, almost as if it had been "won back" from the far right - but still the fact remains that it's not really very English to bang on about being English, is it ?

If there was less of a taboo about it and there was a public holiday and people were "allowed" to celebrate being English as much as the rest of our kingdom, would Brexit have been as much of an issue ??
Your thread title question differs from your closing line, Rigger - I would answer No to the 'current' question but 'No possibly not' to the second one :D
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I did expand on it in the opening line, mate ;)
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

rigger wrote:I did expand on it in the opening line, mate ;)
and I answered both questions ;)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:There's more to it than that but the thought struck me this morning that it's the English who want Brexit more than our celtic brethren, the Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish.
Actually Wales voted to Leave close but 52.5% is still a majority.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.