Nice wine.

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Nice wine.

Post by mapperleywhite »

We buy most of our wine from the discount supermarkets.

Aldi has Australian wines at around the £4 mark under the brand 'kooliburra'. We like their Chardonnay, Shiraz and Shiraz Cabernet as they represent a very good price/quality point. Better still if you order 6 bottles they'll deliver it for free; we've done this a couple of times and it works very smoothly. This offer applies to spirits as well, so we've got a couple of bottles of their excellent gin included.

Lidl have an enjoyable South African sauvignon blanc at a similar price point and a very decent Chilean pinot noir. From time to time they have 'wine weeks' where they offer some more offbeat products. If they don't sell they offload them at £3.99 on a Wednesday, so Mrs MW just picked a Chilean gewurtztraminer - total bargain, great with Chinese! They're currently doing offers on wine and I've got my eye on their pinot noir from Alsace - a real favourite of mine - and hope we can pick a few up next Wednesday :lol:
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Well the wine as arrived from Laithwaites so looking forward to trying it especially the Southern Italian Reds.

To be honest we often buy from supermarkets and there are a few that we enjoy (quality has certainly improved over the years). We buy in bulk when offers are on, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose & Asda all periodically have the buy 6 or more and you get 25% off (in fact Sainsbury's have the deal on currently).

None of the newbies tonight though its a Chilean Cabernet :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Have been touring around for a few days doing a couple of walks and visiting some of Mrs SW's family as it was her birthday on Saturday.

When we originally planned the trip we were supposed to be seeing her son and his wife on Saturday but something cropped up and he had to be in London so didn't catch up until the following day.
Anyway he booked us in for a meal on the Saturday night as a Birthday present (all expenses paid), The two bottles of wine on my profile pic were the most expensive on the menu at £120 per bottle. The photo of course was a wind up we sent him but he replied "go for it" so we did but only had a glass each at about £30 a go :crazy:.
Well as we had already had two bottles of a different wine at £47 a bottle and a very expensive meal we didn't want to be too greedy :shh: .

Anyway to cut to the chase I actually preferred the £47 wine to the £120 (both very different), So the moral of the story is "it isn't always what you pay for (or not in our case)".

Nice experience as certainly the most expensive wine i've tried.

I should add it doesn't cost him what Joe Public would pay as he is the restaurant owner.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote:Have been touring around for a few days doing a couple of walks and visiting some of Mrs SW's family as it was her birthday on Saturday.

When we originally planned the trip we were supposed to be seeing her son and his wife on Saturday but something cropped up and he had to be in London so didn't catch up until the following day.
Anyway he booked us in for a meal on the Saturday night as a Birthday present (all expenses paid), The two bottles of wine on my profile pic were the most expensive on the menu at £120 per bottle. The photo of course was a wind up we sent him but he replied "go for it" so we did but only had a glass each at about £30 a go :crazy:.
Well as we had already had two bottles of a different wine at £47 a bottle and a very expensive meal we didn't want to be too greedy :shh: .

Anyway to cut to the chase I actually preferred the £47 wine to the £120 (both very different), So the moral of the story is "it isn't always what you pay for (or not in our case)".

Nice experience as certainly the most expensive wine i've tried.

I should add it doesn't cost him what Joe Public would pay as he is the restaurant owner.
Sounds like a great evening and looks like a super place :thumbup:

As a mate once said. Buy a bottle of wine for £30 and like it = good bottle. Buy a bottle for £7 and like it = even better bottle !
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I agree Davy. If you can't tell the difference of an expensive wine, then there's not much point in spending the money.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:I agree Davy. If you can't tell the difference of an expensive wine, then there's not much point in spending the money.
So true John, was lovely stuff but wouldn't personally spend that sort of money.
We often try different wines and it's certainly not always the expensive one that's the best.

He's got another restaurant opening next year (spring) not too far from you in Henley, will be looking forward to our invite to try it out. :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:I agree Davy. If you can't tell the difference of an expensive wine, then there's not much point in spending the money.
So true John, was lovely stuff but wouldn't personally spend that sort of money.
We often try different wines and it's certainly not always the expensive one that's the best.

He's got another restaurant opening next year (spring) not too far from you in Henley, will be looking forward to our invite to try it out. :D
SW, I will be interested in hearing your review. Like to keep a list of good restaurants and would class Henley as 'local'.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:

SW, I will be interested in hearing your review. Like to keep a list of good restaurants and would class Henley as 'local'.
Will do John, It's going to be a fine dining set menu type place where the chef prepares in front of you. Lots of small courses.
The location will be on market Square, think it was formally the Loch Fyne restaurant.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:

When I lived in Wargrave we used to go to Chef Peking initially in Maidenhead, but then in Henley. Back then, late 1970's, it was groundbreaking and delicious, absolutely loved it!

Are they still on the go?
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

So what is all the wine lovers drinking during the Lockdown ?

We tend to try many different wines and its a little Italian number selected for tonight :-