Racism

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Racism

Post by Another Northern Soul »

yorkfan wrote:Not sure I don't agree with VHTM, in that "stereotyping" and "racism" are not necessarily the same thing.

To poke fun at the Irish, the Jocks, the Welsh and, for that matter the English, is indeed humour based on historical stereotypes ....... racist? Hardly.

We're in danger of all becoming much too po-faced in our rush towards virtue signalling, that we lump everything into the same area of disapproval and risk overlooking the evils of true racist behaviour.

Just my two pence worth.
I completely agree in that such jokes are not high on the list of Offensive but as most are based on/about a person's race then they are racist. They ARE jokes though and most are not intended to offend whatever race it's poking fun at.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
yorkfan wrote:Not sure I don't agree with VHTM, in that "stereotyping" and "racism" are not necessarily the same thing.

To poke fun at the Irish, the Jocks, the Welsh and, for that matter the English, is indeed humour based on historical stereotypes ....... racist? Hardly.

We're in danger of all becoming much too po-faced in our rush towards virtue signalling, that we lump everything into the same area of disapproval and risk overlooking the evils of true racist behaviour.

Just my two pence worth.
I completely agree in that such jokes are not high on the list of Offensive but as most are based on/about a person's race then they are racist. They ARE jokes though and most are not intended to offend whatever race it's poking fun at.
Yet to find a black fella who objects to the racial stereotype of him having a big willy ! :D
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

Sovietmule wrote:I never accused you of being racist. I simply asked what you would consider to be racist.

What do think is racist about me saying my dog is black?

Would you consider it racist if I said my dog was brindle?
Your joke was meant to be a bit daft wasn't it? Hope so because I enjoyed it as such :lol:

'Irish jokes' are racist whether we like to accept that or not VHTM, it's obvious Sovietmule wasn't alleging anything about you :thumbup:
Yes, it was a poor attempt at humour.
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

isrodger wrote:

Just my two pence worth.
Yet to find a black fella who objects to the racial stereotype of him having a big willy ! :D
Many Scottish folk (and there are LOTS) where I live would see being called 'Jocks' as an insult.

Fair point bout the 'big willy' thing but then again who would try to deny such at thing?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

isrodger wrote:

Just my two pence worth.
I can tell you for a FACT that one of the lads who I sit with, he's black, at the matches will disagree with that very stupid comment :) ISR, you ask every black male you meet if he's well endowed do you? :shock:
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

[quote="Sovietmule"]

"Many Scottish folk (and there are LOTS) where I live would see being called 'Jocks' as an insult."

I would draw a distinction between a perceived "insult", based on stereotyping, and outright racism.

After all, The Big Yin, one of the greatest Scottish comedians, whose output is based largely on making fun of aspects of "Scottishness", takes advantage of the healthy attitude of being able to laugh at oneself ........... and that's coming from myself, a dyed in the wool Jock, (in exile in Yorkshire). ;)
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Why were on the subject i'll throw being Ginger in the mix. :D

My other half has got the most beautiful red hair but unfortunately not everyone sees it that way. I can't begin to tell you the amount of Jokes, Insults, and in rare cases hatred, her being born with that beautiful colour hair as bought her. I've known people shave their hair completely rather than be called a Ginger. Outrageous!

Didn't the media once have a fascination with Linford's Lunchbox? :angel:
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Can see this thread running and running, and not in a particularly productive way...there are already so many stereotypes being thrown around on here.

I'm sure we're all agreed that a) racism and xenophobia have absolutely no place on the terraces or anywhere else in society; b) those guilty of it, on the pitch or off it, should be punished accordingly; and c) we should all do what we can to call it out wherever possible, even if that means challenging our fellow Leeds fans.

Beyond that, I can't see this ending well...
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I also live in a place with alot of Scots. I think the word some like to use is Hatred of the English. For instance if a English person accidentally mentions the film Braveheart in the wrong company, i guarantee you a Scot will find a sword from somewhere. :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Leonickroberts wrote:Can see this thread running and running, and not in a particularly productive way...there are already so many stereotypes being thrown around on here.

I'm sure we're all agreed that a) racism and xenophobia have absolutely no place on the terraces or anywhere else in society; b) those guilty of it, on the pitch or off it, should be punished accordingly; and c) we should all do what we can to call it out wherever possible, even if that means challenging our fellow Leeds fans.

Beyond that, I can't see this ending well...
I agree. I love a good discussion (and a joke) but guys lets leave it as Leonickroberts says.

I person we almost certainly know our audience and where the line is drawn. On the internet and a forum, as much as we are all members it's a minefield.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders