Racism

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Racism

Post by Davycc »

pavoneveneto1+ wrote:I hardly ever post because I realise most people on this forum know more about football than I do and I don’t feel I could contribute much, but I read practically everything, and love the site. I do, however, know something about this subject so I’ll have my say.

It seems to me that the whole idea of race is quite outdated. When people talk about racism they often mix up two different things. One is ethnic group, which in my understanding means being part of a group who are socially and culturally distinct from others. That might or might not depend on national boundaries or genealogy or language. Black is not an ethnic group without any context; Asian certainly isn’t ; Irish, arguably, is. The other factor is physical appearance.

In defence of racism (not an oft-heard phrase), we can like or dislike a particular culture and what, in our perception, it stands for. That leads some people to dislike people of that ethnic group. For example, you might perceive Norwegian culture (yes, I’m choosing Norwegian as a safe option) to be very conservative, the people reticent and over-serious. As a consequence you might not feel attracted to it. By some definitions that would make you a racist. It seems to me you have every right to harbor that dislike, but it’s how you display it that is the crux; you don’t have the right to decide that a person of that ethnic group embodies the qualities you find distasteful, and you certainly don’t have the right to abuse somebody based on your perceptions of the ethnic group they belong to.

In the case of people’s physical appearance, it’s pure idiocy because it doesn’t put them in any group anyway. Race, in these terms, is a myth.

At the end of the day we all know what we are talking about which is a-holes, as Rigger put it, who aren’t intelligent enough to express their frustration in any way other than banal, facile insults. “Racists” are just inarticulate and simple-minded.
And you should post more often.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

pavoneveneto1+ wrote:For example, you might perceive Norwegian culture (yes, I’m choosing Norwegian as a safe option) to be very conservative, the people reticent and over-serious.
That, my friend, is called stereotyping. In reality there is as much diversity in Norwegian culture as in any other.

There is diversity in every culture.
Deleted User 3150

Post by Deleted User 3150 »

Yes that's the point he was making !!!!!!!
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Why this thread in here surely it should be in General Chat because other than the original post there’s no mention of Leeds United.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Good point.
I tried to find it this morning and was surprised where it was.
Don't know why I didn't move it then, but it's done now ..
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

whiteinfrance wrote:Yes that's the point he was making !!!!!!!
Don't want to resurrect this but wondering what you thought I meant.
johnnysmiles
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by johnnysmiles »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Why this thread in here surely it should be in General Chat because other than the original post there’s no mention of Leeds United.
Let me bring it back to Leeds...

Back in 1998 I was living in London and I joined a London branch of the supporters club and went to some away games... all the London ones and also Derby, Leicester and Man U.

I didn't really like most of the others in the group... but put up with them until we went to Leicester and they all started maing monkey noises whenever Emile Heskey touched the ball..

I stopped going with them...
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I have just started watching that program about Eugenics on the BBC, i have only seen the first episode but already i am seeing a correlation between Eugenics and class? Fascinating stuff.