Racism

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3150

Racism

Post by Deleted User 3150 »

https://the72.co.uk/143576/racism-will- ... ds-united/

excellent statement from Andrea

I too was on the terraces in the 80's and witnessed the vile behavior towards black players, throwing bananas etc.

Everything must be done to stamp out this moronic behaviour
Deleted User 3150

Re: Racism

Post by Deleted User 3150 »

Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

It's not just in football : it's rearing its head across society since the Brexit campaign began.
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

It's always been there and, sadly, probably always will be in one way or another.

I don't have to be perceptive at all to see it far too often. Recent examples I've encountered while chatting with folk I've met whilst walking my dog:

Irish "jokes", those complaining about south asian neighbours and curry smells, people complaining about their Indian (insert any nationlity) boss, Polish friends "running down" Romanians ... and on it goes ... the striking thing about it to me is that when I've challenged the people who spout this ignorance they almost always recoil in horror at the thought they are racist.

I agree that Brexit has made it worse and will make it worse still.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Sovietmule wrote:It's always been there and, sadly, probably always will be in one way or another.

I don't have to be perceptive at all to see it far too often. Recent examples I've encountered while chatting with folk I've met whilst walking my dog:

Irish "jokes", those complaining about south asian neighbours and curry smells, people complaining about their Indian (insert any nationlity) boss, Polish friends "running down" Romanians ... and on it goes ... the striking thing about it to me is that when I've challenged the people who spout this ignorance they almost always recoil in horror at the thought they are racist.

I agree that Brexit has made it worse and will make it worse still.
I would suggest that if you think Dog walkers are Racists for telling Jokes. Never go near a Northern Boozer.... :thumbup:
Sovietmule

Post by Sovietmule »

That's not what I said at all. If you think Irish "jokes" aren't stereotyping and racist then what would you consider racist?

There's diversity in every culture and dog walkers are no more or less racist than any other 'group' of people.

Sadly, I think your reply shows how ingrained and 'everyday' racism is.

btw, I was in plenty of Northern boozers last week, never took the dog in though - she's black and I didn't know how she'd be received!
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Sovietmule wrote:That's not what I said at all. If you think Irish "jokes" aren't stereotyping and racist then what would you consider racist?

There's diversity in every culture and dog walkers are no more or less racist than any other 'group' of people.

Sadly, I think your reply shows how ingrained and 'everyday' racism is.

btw, I was in plenty of Northern boozers last week, never took the dog in though - she's black and I didn't know how she'd be received!
:lol: That's one of the best "racist" jokes i've heard for ages. I guess my idea of a joke is different to yours if that makes me a racist in your eyes my conscience is clear. ;) :thumbup:
Sovietmule

Post by Sovietmule »

I never accused you of being racist. I simply asked what you would consider to be racist.

What do think is racist about me saying my dog is black?

Would you consider it racist if I said my dog was brindle?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Sovietmule wrote:I never accused you of being racist. I simply asked what you would consider to be racist.

What do think is racist about me saying my dog is black?

Would you consider it racist if I said my dog was brindle?
Your joke was meant to be a bit daft wasn't it? Hope so because I enjoyed it as such :lol:

'Irish jokes' are racist whether we like to accept that or not VHTM, it's obvious Sovietmule wasn't alleging anything about you :thumbup:
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

Not sure I don't agree with VHTM, in that "stereotyping" and "racism" are not necessarily the same thing.

To poke fun at the Irish, the Jocks, the Welsh and, for that matter the English, is indeed humour based on historical stereotypes ....... racist? Hardly.

We're in danger of all becoming much too po-faced in our rush towards virtue signalling, that we lump everything into the same area of disapproval and risk overlooking the evils of true racist behaviour.

Just my two pence worth.