Selected to go to Nottingham

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Selected to go to Nottingham

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:Just seen the fixtures we have two matches each day on Saturday against Oxfordshire & Warwickshire and Sunday Cambridgeshire & Worcestershire.

Each match I'll play two Mens singles and either a Mens doubles or mixed doubles (possibly both) so a busy weekend but will look forward to it.
All the best SW. Watch out for those Worcestershire players, I think they still have sandpaper on one side of their bats.
I once played against Don Revie.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Congrats SW!

Make sure you bring the title home for Yorkshire :thumbup:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote:Congrats SW!

Make sure you bring the title home for Yorkshire :thumbup:
Sure will Mr R although not until March next year as other counties to play :thumbup:

I've not played a competitive match at any level since April (had a foot injury) but have a big October planned with a few local League matches in Doncaster & York plus a tough tournament in Wolverhampton which added to some good practice sessions should sharpen me nicely for this in November.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

mapperleywhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Yes the A1 would be better, we’re based next to the M1 complete opposite side of the city.
Thanks NW, That's good much easier drive as i'm planning to travel both days.
A 614 will bring you into the right area, but a bit of a nightmare if you're stuck behind a tractor, and there's a lot of cameras.
Yes thanks think that looks best route but will need to watch for those cameras (having recently done a speed awareness course).
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

For the record we beat Oxford 6-4, Cambridgeshire 7-3 and Worcestershire 9-1.
Sadly we lost 6-4 to Warwickshire was gutted personally as I lost 11-9 in the 5th and deciding set to their No1 player also lost the mens doubles in a tight deciding set. Win those two and we win 6-4.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote:For the record we beat Oxford 6-4, Cambridgeshire 7-3 and Worcestershire 9-1.
Sadly we lost 6-4 to Warwickshire was gutted personally as I lost 11-9 in the 5th and deciding set to their No1 player also lost the mens doubles in a tight deciding set. Win those two and we win 6-4.
Well played Mick, great results there.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Selby White wrote:For the record we beat Oxford 6-4, Cambridgeshire 7-3 and Worcestershire 9-1.
Since when has table tennis become a middle class sport. :D

Great effort Selb. Sounds like it went to the wire, that's how it should be. :thumbup:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Learnt to play at school and it was always tough been middle class at Selby Secondary, never growing up on the local council estate ;) :lol:
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Selby White wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Learnt to play at school and it was always tough been middle class at Selby Secondary, never growing up on the local council estate ;) :lol:
:lol: And there was me thinking you were from Harrogate. :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I played table tennis for both Moor Allerton and Victoria clubs in Leeds, as a Junior. Victoria had two internationals in Brain Kennedy and Kathy Best and also the England coach (can't remember his name) was the coach at Victoria. The home for the Victoria club was St. Matthew's church hall in Camp Road. On a Monday evening, the Leeds Table Tennis Association had an 'open night' every Monday, with four tables. One guy I played against, regularly, was Len Browning (ex Leeds United) who was then playing for Sheffield United. I was only 16/17 at the time. When I came out of National Service and signed (football) for Yorkshire Amateur, I played against Len Browning who by then was playing for East End Park WMC in the Yorkshire League. Still played him at Table Tennis. His wife, Molly Browning played too. Played for the Leeds youth team but gave up when I got married in 1959.
I once played against Don Revie.