Not sure yet
6%
Not Voting
6%

Total votes: 17

Deleted User 728

Re: General Election 2019

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I think what this campaign has proved to me is that you are what you are.
To me, I can't see why anyone would vote Tory.
One of my friends cited inheritance tax as a reason and I can see that he'll personally save a good deal of money when his comes through.
He works in social services as a social worker and has been made redundant a couple of times due to cut-backs in the last five or six years but that's not enough to sway him I don't think.
I've stopped following people on social media in the last few months because of the election and one of my closest friends and I haven't spoken since April, someone I've known for nearly forty years. I find him such a patronising git these days I just can't stand being around him anymore.
I don't feel upset about it - I feel justified because he calls me "Snowflake" and asks me if I've got over myself all the bloody time.
This is a guy with an autistic son and an ex-wife (who the son lives with) with MS, both of whom rely on social security to help financially.
I just can't fathom it.
It's almost a desire to be smug, or to Clarksonify yourself as I'm beginning to think of it.

I don't know why I can't stand being around him but the other mate I'm still friendly with.
Maybe it's because he's a working class lad from Leeds and I think he's sold out ?

I am utterly sick of the whole thing now though and can't wait for it to end.

Whatever you do think, just vote.
The turnout in this country has been shameful down the years ..
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I'm sure you will sort it once the Elections over Rig. If we had left the EU 3 years ago i'm convinced a trade deal would have been done by now and we would all be back to normal, but that's just me. What has become clear in this Election, especially in England, it is now the STOP A BORIS JOHNSON MAJORITY ELECTION none of the other parties think they can win a majority. Its another sad example of Politicians doing anything to stop Brexit with talk of tactical voting.

With people hating Brexit so much i expect the LIMP Dems to clean-up.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

rigger wrote:To me, I can't see why anyone would vote Tory.
Surely the answer to that is simple. Anyone of the 52% who voted leave as they (and the Brexit party) are the only ones definitely promising Brexit.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Here in Nottingham East I'd say it was a foregone conclusion that Chris Leslie will win. He had a majority of over 19,000 last time around, but Corbyn's communists deselcted him and he's standing as an independent.

Seems a decent sort - well for a politician anyway - and has been quite vocal in criticizing magic grandpa.

He was a shadow minister at once stage whereas the other candiates are nobodies. The replacement Labour candidate is only 23 years old!

In all my years I've never been so concerned about the outcome of an election because I truly dread the prospect of a Labour government and those Marxists pulling the levers of power. Equally unnerving is the idea that chocolate teapot Sturgeon will have a say in things.

You have to think, though, the most likely outcome will be a hung parliament which won't get Brexit done and therefore even more paralysis than recent times. In turn that would be detrimental to the economy and prolong the uncertainty for companies' investment plans for jobs and productivity.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

First past the post voting system is a joke.

10 people vote - 3 vote for Rigger, 3 vote for Davy and 4 vote for John. John wins with 6 against him :crazy: !

Great vehicle for unrepresentative government and very convenient for maintaining a two party system.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

mapperleywhite wrote:
Surely the answer to that is simple. Anyone of the 52% who voted leave as they (and the Brexit party) are the only ones definitely promising Brexit.
In the poll on this topic I chose the Brexit Party, but because it's a Tory held constituency we don't have a candidate for them. I've previously said what I think of our MP and just how useless he is (rated 448 out of the 650 MPs) and I've never voted Tory in my life, but today I am and it's mainly down to getting out of the EU as promised 3 years ago.

Boris does come across as a bumbling idiot sometimes but he's a better option than a terrorist sympathiser and a party that will let people from all corners of the globe come to the UK. Everyone knows and talks about how stretched our services like the NHS are and if Labour get in this will completely destroy it.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

White Knight wrote:First past the post voting system is a joke.

10 people vote - 3 vote for Rigger, 3 vote for Davy and 4 vote for John. John wins with 6 against him :crazy: !

Great vehicle for unrepresentative government and very convenient for maintaining a two party system.
It's a good point WK but what other options are they?

You couldn't give it to Rigger or Davy or it would be 3 against 7 which is worse than the original scenario.

Trouble with a hung parliament nothing gets done as is far more damaging than either side winning.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

BrighouseWhite wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:
In the poll on this topic I chose the Brexit Party, but because it's a Tory held constituency we don't have a candidate for them. I've previously said what I think of our MP and just how useless he is (rated 448 out of the 650 MPs) and I've never voted Tory in my life, but today I am and it's mainly down to getting out of the EU as promised 3 years ago.

Boris does come across as a bumbling idiot sometimes but he's a better option than a terrorist sympathiser and a party that will let people from all corners of the globe come to the UK. Everyone knows and talks about how stretched our services like the NHS are and if Labour get in this will completely destroy it.

That's exactly the way so many people around here are seeing it.
People also keep mentioning the 52% voting for Brexit but actually in England it was far higher.
The Scottish Nationalists keep reminding us Scotland didn't so remove their vote (along with NI & Wales) and it is over 60%.
In the 10 English regions only London voted against it.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

There is so much crap being spouted on this thread that there is no point trying to make a reasoned political argument. Some people might like to look up what political labels actually mean though.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:There is so much crap being spouted on this thread that there is no point trying to make a reasoned political argument. Some people might like to look up what political labels actually mean though.
Surely that is insulting to others opinions something everyone is entitled to.