6%
Not Voting
6%

Total votes: 17

Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: General Election 2019

Post by Davycc »

Sniffer wrote:There is so much crap being spouted on this thread that there is no point trying to make a reasoned political argument. Some people might like to look up what political labels actually mean though.
Sniffer mate I think that's a first on the forum. Usually someone posts, lets call it a "very strong" post like the above after being in a spat with another poster. this was your first entry in the thread.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Selby White wrote:
Sniffer wrote:There is so much crap being spouted on this thread that there is no point trying to make a reasoned political argument. Some people might like to look up what political labels actually mean though.
Surely that is insulting to others opinions something everyone is entitled to.
Yep. And that was my opinion. ;)
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Davycc wrote:
Sniffer mate I think that's a first on the forum. Usually someone posts, lets call it a "very strong" post like the above after being in a spat with another poster. this was your first entry in the thread.
My apologies, Davy. Substitute crap for "misinformation, lies and regurgitation of right wing tabloid bile" if that makes it more palatable.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:
Selby White wrote:
So it's your opinion that it's right to insult others opinions because they differ from yours.
It really is uncalled for but that's where we will disagree on forum ethics.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

The best way to show that you believe the "information" being posted is "wrong" is to post what is "right" in your opinion. That's the whole point of discussion on a forum.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Selby White wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
Selby White wrote:
So it's your opinion that it's right to insult others opinions because they differ from yours.
*sigh* No, it's not right to insult others' opinions, Yes, every one is entitled to one. Whose opinion was I insulting? Everyone's? Someone's? No-one's?
I doubt that we disagree on forum ethics.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Davycc wrote:The best way to show that you believe the "information" being posted is "wrong" is to post what is "right" in your opinion. That's the whole point of discussion on a forum.
Your right, Davy, but then you get drawn in to a slanging match which is what I tried to avoid.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
Selby White wrote:
*sigh* No, it's not right to insult others' opinions, Yes, every one is entitled to one. Whose opinion was I insulting? Everyone's? Someone's? No-one's?
"so much crap spouted on this thread"

Who was that aimed at?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Selby White wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
Selby White wrote:
"so much crap spouted on this thread"

Who was that aimed at?
Now you want me to insult someone? :eh: Can't you just leave it as a general comment?
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

Selby White wrote:
White Knight wrote:First past the post voting system is a joke.

10 people vote - 3 vote for Rigger, 3 vote for Davy and 4 vote for John. John wins with 6 against him :crazy: !

Great vehicle for unrepresentative government and very convenient for maintaining a two party system.
It's a good point WK but what other options are they?

You couldn't give it to Rigger or Davy or it would be 3 against 7 which is worse than the original scenario.

Trouble with a hung parliament nothing gets done as is far more damaging than either side winning.
Proportional representation with transferable votes is a fairer system for elections. A quota, or finishing post number, is calculated in each constituency based on the number of people that have a cast a valid vote. This decides who will be elected.
Everyone voting can number their choices from 1 down to the end of the candidate list.

My example above is too basic, so instead see the following;

20 people cast valid votes
Rigger gets 6
Davy gets 4
Selby White gets 3
John gets 7

The quota could be 11 ( there is a formula for that I don’t know!).

SW is eliminated for having the lowest vote and his votes are checked to see who was the number 2 selection on his ballot papers. Let’s say they all go to Davy. The count now is as follows;

John 7
Davy 7
Rigger 6
SW eliminated

Rigger is now eliminated and his votes are checked. They split out with Davy getting 4 and John 2. The count is now;

Davy 11
John 9
Rigger eliminated
SW eliminated

Davy is elected on having reached the quota :thumbup:

It is complicated but the person elected is a better representation of the constituency behind him when he goes to parliament. Davy also has to consider people that are not in his party and help them, represent them and deal with them if he is going to be elected again as he knows he doesn’t have enough support from his core base to be elected.

It is fairer but it can lead to more coalition governments and that can be a challenge.

Anyway - here endeth the lesson! Hope it made sense.