Tonight

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Tonight

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Tonight’s Halloween which I really dislike. I don’t mind the neighbours kids knocking on the door for a handful of sweets but they come from every blooming corner of the estate, begging. To me this is another American export we could live without.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Tonight

Post by Davycc »

I actually don't mind it, it's a pretty special day ;) I quite like it the only drawback is the fireworks. Should be banned for personal use and only allowed in displays. My dog and cats are petrified for nearly a fortnight this time of year.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I don't like it and generally pretend I'm out for the evening so no-one knocks on the door.
In the past I've got sweets in and nobody comes or I've not got them in and everybody comes, so you can't win.
This year, there's a nice bunch of kids near me and the parents are all sound so I wouldn't mind doing it but I'm not because I'm a grumpy old man :D

As for the fireworks thing I am totally with you Davy. Even if it saves one person's life/eyesight per year, then it would be worth a ban.
It's gunpowder. What more do you need to say, not to mention the anti-social aspect or the pets ..
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Fortunately we live at the bottom of a quiet cul-de-sac and never get too many venturing down this end.

I'll now regret saying that :crazy:

Hate the fireworks as others state, should be illegal on safety grounds in this day and age.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Not fussed about Halloween but have to agree about the fireworks there should just be official bonfire nights it’s like Beirut here for two weeks as it is. I see that some supermarkets aren’t stocking fireworks this year so this has to be a start.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Tonight’s Halloween which I really dislike. I don’t mind the neighbours kids knocking on the door for a handful of sweets but they come from every blooming corner of the estate, begging. To me this is another American export we could live without.
Agreed. Halloween is the grey squirrel of celebrations.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

We have been putting up with fireworks for a couple of weeks already. A couple of Sundays ago we had fireworks going off from 7.30 to 11.00 in the evening. Why do they all have to have a loud explosion attached?
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

You miserable old gits.

A few kids getting all dressed up, having a bit of fun with their neighbours and you giving them a few sweets once a year. Shame on you all :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:.

Right, I’m off to shut all the blinds, turn all the lights off and sit in the dark until the little sods have gone back home.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Just taken down the porch decorations my wife put up this afternoon, we`ve had loads of kids of all ages round all enjoying themselves dipping into the bucket of sweets.
Bah Humbug, did you lot not get up to this sort of thing when you were young.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

LAsouthcoast wrote:Just taken down the porch decorations my wife put up this afternoon, we`ve had loads of kids of all ages round all enjoying themselves dipping into the bucket of sweets.
Bah Humbug, did you lot not get up to this sort of thing when you were young.
Good for you LA entering into the 'spirit' of things.

When I was a kid, yes, we knew about Halloween, but there was no pestering of neighbours for sweets....very bad form....maybe the 50's and 60's we still had rationing at the back of our mind....I don't know.

BUT there was a massive focus on Guy Fawkes. Neighbourhood gatherings with jacket potatoes and mugs of soup. We pooled fireworks and collectively built a bonfire along with an effigy of a Guy.

At the time it was not allowed to let off fireworks other than the period around Nov 5th.

Now we have for example Diwali, Chinese New Year and probably Eid which are marked by fireworks. Personally I like that these events are marked here in the UK.

But to be honest, in the 21st century, such explosive events should have much tighter controls, ie no sales to the general public, therefore only organized events. This would reduce stress to domestic pets and no fireworks going off after midnight, as was the case here last Sunday.

PS for info, we had no Halloween visitors tonight :lol:
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....