Well well

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Well well

Post by NottinghamWhite »

johnh wrote: I have been thinking about doing similar for my dad. He was in the Fire Service during the war, right through the blitz in Liverpool. He never had any medals and I'm sure he was entitled to some.

PS The name, rank and army number are usually engraved around the rim of the medals. Have they done this?
You really should as I say the paperwork is a bit daunting but once you have the necessary details it’s easy enough. Sue put them upstairs somewhere so not sure about the engraving, will check later.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Nice story bet you’re glad you chased them up. Go for it JohnH I would if it was me.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Nice story bet you’re glad you chased them up. Go for it JohnH I would if it was me.

Have sent an email to the Merseyside Fire Service to see if they know which medals may qualify. I have a certificate showing my Dad's service during the war years and authorising his demob. Remember him coming home after a night in the city centre or the docks, smelling like a bonfire. He once brought an unexploded bomb (incendiary)
home to show us. Liverpool was the second 'most bombed' city next to London.

Thanks again to NW for kicking this off. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:Nice story bet you’re glad you chased them up. Go for it JohnH I would if it was me.

Have sent an email to the Merseyside Fire Service to see if they know which medals may qualify. I have a certificate showing my Dad's service during the war years and authorising his demob. Remember him coming home after a night in the city centre or the docks, smelling like a bonfire. He once brought an unexploded bomb (incendiary)

John,
Article on the Imperial War museum about each city that was bombed in the blitz, the scale of it is unbelievable.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/the-blitz-around-britain
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

We couldn’t be prouder if they were the Victoria Cross, Purple Heart or the Iron Cross.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:

John,
Article on the Imperial War museum about each city that was bombed in the blitz, the scale of it is unbelievable.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/the-blitz-around-britain
Thanks for that SW. One of my clearest memories is walking to school the morning after a raid when we passed a block of four terraced houses. One of the middle ones had no front. It was like a doll's house with the front taken off. Inside the house, all the furniture was in place, pictures on the wall, vases on tables, everything perfect and undamaged. The front of the house was a pile of rubble in the front garden. (Blast damage apparently). The other thing I remember is: we lived near a railway line and a park. An ammunition train got hit about a mile up the line and the next time we went to play football in the park there were bits of train all over the park.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:We couldn’t be prouder if they were the Victoria Cross, Purple Heart or the Iron Cross.
:crazy:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

rigger wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:We couldn’t be prouder if they were the Victoria Cross, Purple Heart or the Iron Cross.
:crazy:
Senior moment :roll:
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Good read this thanks for posting :thumbup:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

johnh wrote:

Have sent an email to the Merseyside Fire Service to see if they know which medals may qualify.
Have you had a reply ?