The departed 2

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: The departed 2

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Doug Mountjoy ( snooker) has passed away aged 78.

R.I.P.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Doug Mountjoy ( snooker) has passed away aged 78.

R.I.P.
Good player always seemed to get to the later stages of tournaments back in the day, think he was r/u at the worlds at least once and won a few other biggies.

RIP - Doug
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Doug Mountjoy ( snooker) has passed away aged 78.

R.I.P.
Sad news.

RIP
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Don't really follow snooker anymore but Doug was from an era when I did. RIP Doug.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Snooker is one of the only sports apart from football I'll watch on TV - golf's okay too, but that's more or less it.
Don't like the Olympics or motorsport (speedway if I'm there) and hate boxing (think it should be banned).
I heard on the Beeb this morning that Doug Mountjoy won the UK twice, the Masters once but was only ever a beaten finalist in the Worlds which shows you how competitive it was back then because to my mind he was a hell of a player. It really surprised me that he'd never been World Champion.
When I first started watching, you had the tail-end of Ray Reardon's career and then the likes of Mountjoy, Dennis Taylor, Bill Werbenuik (spelling ?), Cliff Thorburn, John Virgo, Kirk Stevens and then Steve Davis roared into view, followed by Stephen Hendry. John Parrot was around at the time of Davis and yet even someone like Joe Johnson could pop up and "do a Leicester" every now and then, so I really am surprised he never won it.

RIP Mr Mountjoy
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Jonny Briggs aka Mike Baldwin ( Coronation Street) has died aged 85. Great character
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Jonny Briggs aka Mike Baldwin ( Coronation Street) has died aged 85. Great character
Certainly a name I remember from my childhood.

Never watch soaps but from long ago I remember a lot of the Corrie cast, Mike Baldwin, Ena Sharples, Mini Caldwell, Ken Barlow, Annie & Jack Walker, Len Fairclough, Ray Langton & Deirdre, Albert Tatlock, etc. Couldn't tell you any of todays cast.

RIP Jonny
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Selby White wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Jonny Briggs aka Mike Baldwin ( Coronation Street) has died aged 85. Great character
Certainly a name I remember from my childhood.

Never watch soaps but from long ago I remember a lot of the Corrie cast, Mike Baldwin, Ena Sharples, Mini Caldwell, Ken Barlow, Annie & Jack Walker, Len Fairclough, Ray Langton & Deirdre, Albert Tatlock, etc. Couldn't tell you any of todays cast.

RIP Jonny
How could you forget Elsie Tanner.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Briggs was in a couple of Ealing comedies and Carry On Sergeant too, possibly another early one of those too.
I really liked him as a character actor. He didn't have a lot of range but he was so natural on screen with an easy smile and the cheeky wit to go with it.

RIP.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

On the Coronation Street theme. A couple of years ago we went to Manchester for the cricket, which thanks to a master class in spin from Joe Root the game finished early. We decided to travel to Media City for the day. We watched 3 episodes of Mastermind getting filmed then headed to a bar, I think it was called the Water Front. All I had in clothing was YCCC tops but as we stood at the bar getting served a young man came over from a large group & said I was the first person he’d seen wearing a Yorkshire top in all the time he’d been in the city. He also told us he was from Scarborough & had played for Yorkshire colts with Adam Lyth & Adil Rashid. After around 15 minutes he apologised but felt he ought to return to his group of friends. He shook my hand & gave Sue a hug & a kiss saying he’d pop back before we left to say cheerio, which he did. No idea who he was but his group were getting plenty of attention from other bar users. His name we found out was Micky North who plays Gary Windass & what a lovely down to earth lad he was. It turns out the group he was with were all Corrie stars, but we had no idea, not that it would have bothered us anyway.