The departed 2

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The departed 2

Post by Davycc »

RIP Jonny, time for a dalliance with Deirdre again.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

rigger wrote:Briggs was in a couple of Ealing comedies and Carry On Sergeant too, possibly another early one of those too.
I really liked him as a character actor. He didn't have a lot of range but he was so natural on screen with an easy smile and the cheeky wit to go with it.

RIP.
Just checked & he had a small part in the Lavender Hill Mob, absolute classic.

From his sitcom days “ he used to beat me at Snap, as I had a stutter “ :D
Winner of the Europa League
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
rigger wrote:Briggs was in a couple of Ealing comedies and Carry On Sergeant too, possibly another early one of those too.
I really liked him as a character actor. He didn't have a lot of range but he was so natural on screen with an easy smile and the cheeky wit to go with it.

RIP.
Just checked & he had a small part in the Lavender Hill Mob, absolute classic.

From his sitcom days “ he used to beat me at Snap, as I had a stutter “ :D
He was also in Sink The Bismark
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Glen Roeder passes away, aged 65.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:Glen Roeder passes away, aged 65.
OMG that's way too young. Just seems like yesterday he was playing.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Wigan White wrote:
Selby White wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Jonny Briggs aka Mike Baldwin ( Coronation Street) has died aged 85. Great character
Certainly a name I remember from my childhood.

Never watch soaps but from long ago I remember a lot of the Corrie cast, Mike Baldwin, Ena Sharples, Mini Caldwell, Ken Barlow, Annie & Jack Walker, Len Fairclough, Ray Langton & Deirdre, Albert Tatlock, etc. Couldn't tell you any of todays cast.

RIP Jonny
How could you forget Elsie Tanner.
And Stan & Hilda Ogden :oops:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Glen Roeder passes away, aged 65.
OMG that's way too young. Just seems like yesterday he was playing.
Sad news another gone too early.

Nice tidy player.

RIP Glen
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

RIP Glenn Roeder

Classy player, classy manager and from the eulogies from emotional ex-colleagues an all-round great human being.
One guy - I missed who it was - was on talkSPORT saying that he was under Roeder at West Ham and they got on brilliantly and he added some details as to how he worked with players, changing who he was depending on the character of the individual. The player was originally from the north-east and his mother had been ill for some time, which Glenn of course knew about.
One Saturday, Roeder took a call from one of the club secretaries to say that the mother didn't have long left, so on full-time he pulled the player to one side and told him just to get in his car and be with the family, saying don't worry about next week, etc.
About an hour later, as the player was in his car and Roeder presumably was on the coach or maybe in his own car, he called the player and stayed on the phone for four or five hours as he made his way up to Newcastle. The entire trip. Just talking football, talking family, music, politics, whatever, just to keep him calm and make sure he was okay.

The player was gushing about how much it meant and how utterly brilliant Roeder's man-management skills were.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:RIP Glenn Roeder

Classy player, classy manager and from the eulogies from emotional ex-colleagues an all-round great human being.
One guy - I missed who it was - was on talkSPORT saying that he was under Roeder at West Ham and they got on brilliantly and he added some details as to how he worked with players, changing who he was depending on the character of the individual. The player was originally from the north-east and his mother had been ill for some time, which Glenn of course knew about.
One Saturday, Roeder took a call from one of the club secretaries to say that the mother didn't have long left, so on full-time he pulled the player to one side and told him just to get in his car and be with the family, saying don't worry about next week, etc.
About an hour later, as the player was in his car and Roeder presumably was on the coach or maybe in his own car, he called the player and stayed on the phone for four or five hours as he made his way up to Newcastle. The entire trip. Just talking football, talking family, music, politics, whatever, just to keep him calm and make sure he was okay.

The player was gushing about how much it meant and how utterly brilliant Roeder's man-management skills were.
I had read this and was going to post it. Sadly, men like him are a minority in football. RIP to a true gentleman.
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

rigger wrote:RIP Glenn Roeder

Lovely story that.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.