The departed 2

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: The departed 2

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Unbelievable news about Shane Warne way too young to die.

R.I.P.
Winner of the Europa League
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Oh wow.

RIP Shane.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

kk white wrote:Oh wow.

RIP Shane.
Just seen it myself and was absolutely gobsmacked. Loved him as a player and a commentator. Heart goes out to his family and friends.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

A true cricketing legend of my lifetime. As brash and cocky as they come but by heck what a spin bowler! A true genius that I had the privilege to watch. Also a very entertaining, interesting and knowledgeable commentator on radio and TV after he finished playing. Rest in peace Shane :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Keep The Faith / WAL
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

Shocked to hear this. RIP Shane.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Absolute shocker earlier in the day Shane sent a tweet with his sympathy for Rodney Marsh

RIP Shane another true great.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:Absolute shocker earlier in the day Shane sent a tweet with his sympathy for Rodney Marsh.
I saw that, which is why when one of the lads put in our WhatsApp group that Shane had passed away I thought he had got confused.

Sadly not.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

OMG, I've just woken up and read the news. I'm so shocked!!!!

He had just recently put his hand up for the England coaching job in the past few days.

The greatest cricketer of this era by far. He could make the ball talk every time he bowled. One of the last great characters of the game.

RIP Shane, gone way too early. :cry:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

Every so often you have sports stars who are globally bigger than the sport - You'd put Bolt in that category along with Tiger Wood - More so Ronaldo than Messi - Probably the hype that surrounded Beckham - Tyson - Probably Senna more so than Hamilton - Pele + Maradona - Michael Jordan - Where every household just about knew the name - Warne can join that list

If you picked the greatest Aussie team ever, he'd still be in it - If you picked the worlds greatest X1, then he'd probably be the only name that all pundits, players, fans etc would put in it - Other great names/players in different positions and you'd have a good long debate as to Lillie or Holding, Botham or Sobers, Tendulkar or Richards etc etc - But I bet all of us would pick Warne

Yet he was in touch with those that adored him - You know full well you could have had a good chat with him with a beer in your hand

Sad day indeed - To loose 2 big stars in a few hours reminds me of us losing Norman, Jack, Peter and Trevor in such a short space of time - I loved watching Warnie play - Loved him as a pundit/commentator as well - RIP and my condolences to all who knew him especially his kids and family
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Many years ago I attended a lunch in Maidenhead. The guest speakers were Shane Warne and Merv Hughes as a duo. They were brilliant and very funny. I had to leave a bit early and as I went out of the building there was Shane Warn having a fag. There was no one else about and I stopped for a quick chat. What an experience. RIP.
I once played against Don Revie.