Coronavirus

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:All the students are back & seems they’re the carriers.
My lad is up at Newcastle Uni where there are loads of cases, fortunately he moved out of halls and moved into his own flat with his girlfriend in September.
I feel for the students locked up in those little rooms.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

There's loads down here too, in a city with two major uni's and 40,000+ students from all over the world it's not surprising.
Anyone who's worked at a university will tell you about "Freshers' Flu" because just about everyone on campus gets ill during October because of the melting pot of viruses and germs brought to gether from across the country and the wider world.
It was so obvious that both schools and colleges should've been closed down before the spring terms started - and that's not me being political against the government, it's just common sense.
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

rigger wrote:There's loads down here too, in a city with two major uni's and 40,000+ students from all over the world it's not surprising.
Anyone who's worked at a university will tell you about "Freshers' Flu" because just about everyone on campus gets ill during October because of the melting pot of viruses and germs brought to gether from across the country and the wider world.
It was so obvious that both schools and colleges should've been closed down before the spring terms started - and that's not me being political against the government, it's just common sense.
One of ours is still at uni too. They never even mentioned going back, just set everything up online.
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

NottinghamWhite wrote: We are heading for an economic crisis & mass unemployment as well.
There is no need for either of those things to come to pass but, if they do, they will be the result of political decisions.
NottinghamWhite wrote:The furloughing to be continued how an earth can we afford to do this ?
Serious question: what makes you wonder about whether or not the UK can afford the furlough scheme?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:
My lad is up at Newcastle Uni where there are loads of cases, fortunately he moved out of halls and moved into his own flat with his girlfriend in September.
Glad he’s gone independent. Our two hated halls & we helped them move into houses where they had their own rooms but still with communal areas. We too are a city with a large student population as well as the normal universities but also have around 8000 Chinese students who have their own buildings etc. Why they’ve come back is a mystery to me surely they could have waited a little longer. Couldn’t things have been done online ?
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Glad he’s gone independent. Our two hated halls & we helped them move into houses where they had their own rooms but still with communal areas. We too are a city with a large student population as well as the normal universities but also have around 8000 Chinese students who have their own buildings etc. Why they’ve come back is a mystery to me surely they could have waited a little longer. Couldn’t things have been done online ?
Most of my lads work is done online, although he does go into Uni every now and again for work which has to be done face to face. Some of his mates, who’s work could solely be done online, did go home for a time but have now gone back.

My lad also works at the supermarket Iceland, he’s just been promoted to Duty Manager. When Uni was closed, he said his and his girlfriends jobs were the only thing that kept them sane.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Well I’ve just read how today’s decision for Nottingham & I still haven’t a scooby what the heck is happening. We’re on level 2 if that makes sense to anyone.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Well I’ve just read how today’s decision for Nottingham & I still haven’t a scooby what the heck is happening. We’re on level 2 if that makes sense to anyone.
I've stopped listening and its a case of look after yourself because everything I have heard is about slowing the spread and not stopping the spread.
Whatever they tell me to do I'll probably be doing more if that makes sense.

Trouble is the government are trying to juggle the economy against peoples health and its a near impossible task.
Its one or the other IMHO.

Can't see whatever the rules are having different levels for different places can work unless you restrict travel.
However can see some logic in it (if they stop travel between areas) because why lock somewhere down if there are no or very few cases. Needs clear rules, eg, If your cases per X number of population you follow these rules, If you are Y its these, etc.
Still as I say it only works if you stop travel and make each area responsible for their own.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Boris, or whoever was PM, is in an impossible position.

On the one hand, he’s got Hancock and the medics saying close everything down to stop the spread of the virus which is killing people, on the other hand he’s got Sunak and the business lot saying don’t lock everything down as that will lead to economic disaster, and job losses which will ultimately to poverty and loss of life there.

He’s obviously trying to find some sort of balance, and his presser at 7pm will tell us more, but as I understand it at the moment there will be three alert levels, Medium, High and Very High with different preventative measures in each, e.g Pubs in the High Level alert areas close at 10pm with those in the Very High level closing completely.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:Boris, or whoever was PM, is in an impossible position.

On the one hand, he’s got Hancock and the medics saying close everything down to stop the spread of the virus which is killing people, on the other hand he’s got Sunak and the business lot saying don’t lock everything down as that will lead to economic disaster, and job losses which will ultimately to poverty and loss of life there.

He’s obviously trying to find some sort of balance, and his presser at 7pm will tell us more, but as I understand it at the moment there will be three alert levels, Medium, High and Very High with different preventative measures in each, e.g Pubs in the High Level alert areas close at 10pm with those in the Very High level closing completely.
Wonder if he wishes May had of stayed on!!!!! As you say an impossible position.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders