Coronavirus

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Coronavirus

Post by johnh »

In the last few weeks I have had 2 pub meals with family members and one meal with a mate at the golf club. Go to the local shops quite regularly, wear my mask.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Absolutely disgusting scenes in London today with Anti-lockdown protesters massing.

Once again the minority trying to represent the majority, many the same people that attend every march going causing mayhem.
Society would be well rid of these people.

This virus is not a conspiracy or every country in the World is involved, how stupid are these numptys.
They insult every person that has friends and family effected by this horrific virus, hope the law comes down hard on their leaders, its what they deserve in my opinion.

And if this offends anyone I don't care but I wouldn't be too upset if a good few of these idiots catch and suffer the disease, it doesn't worry them about potentially passing it on to others.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Dowloaded the new NHS Track & Trace App yesterday, lots of shops in the town have the QR code up so got to use it a couple of times to register my presence.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Selby White wrote:Absolutely disgusting scenes in London today with Anti-lockdown protesters massing.

Once again the minority trying to represent the majority, many the same people that attend every march going causing mayhem.
Society would be well rid of these people.

This virus is not a conspiracy or every country in the World is involved, how stupid are these numptys.
They insult every person that has friends and family effected by this horrific virus, hope the law comes down hard on their leaders, its what they deserve in my opinion.

And if this offends anyone I don't care but I wouldn't be too upset if a good few of these idiots catch and suffer the disease, it doesn't worry them about potentially passing it on to others.
They should be sprayed with a red dye so everyone trying to keep safe knows to avoid them
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

BrighouseWhite wrote: They should be sprayed with a red dye so everyone trying to keep safe knows to avoid them
This isn't 1930s Berlin :eh:

I think the problem is threefold :
1. The young don't suffer and can't relate because they don't suffer.
2. Alcohol changes everyone's thinking and actions
3. Ignorance of the situation and a lack of education and understanding generally across society.

By the very fact we're posting on this forum, the majority of users are highly intelligent, reasonable people so we're bound to be staggered by Joe Public in normal times let alone strange days like these.

I think there should be a blanket campaign of public information and instruction films. Make them snappy, with lots of quick cuts to keep the attention of the under-25s and get people like Stormzy, Raheem Sterling and Stacey Dooley to deliver them and hammer home actual directions for everyone to take. Put them on YouTube and across social media - I mean work with those companies to get them embedded and unavoidable and use them between TV shows on every single platform. Leave no spot unturned, literally flooding them to get 95% plus coverage of the population. It wouldn't cost much to produce as they'd all want to be involved and the government can demand airtime for public information messages.

That's what should be happening then maybe they'd begin to understand. We should not be painting anyone.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

OK, here goes. I personally am of the opinion that greater damage is being done to the population and society as a whole by trying to suppress and contain the virus than would be by just letting it spread. I'm fully aware that a lot of people won't agree, but just from speaking to friends, colleagues and by listening to experts on talk radio etc. there are a lot of people who do, and they are not all idiots. Surely it is possible for those classed as vulnerable to it, those who are likely to be significantly affected, to be shielded while the rest of the population tries to get back to much needed normality. I know that there have been some cases of younger people dying or becoming very ill, and that is tragic, but in truth that is extremely unlilely to happen to you if you are not elderly or already have some form of illness. On the other hand there are likely to be millions unemployed because of the damage done to the economy, and that could lead to high levels of poverty for years to come which is a major, major problem. Hundreds of thousands of children continue to have their education disrupted by having to miss school for two weeks when a positive case turns up in their classes, and I can say from personal experience that teaching the ones that are in school has become a nightmare job and is almost impossible to do effectively because of the conditions we are having to do it in. There are many more devastating impacts that restrictions have had/are having and I can't help but think enough has to be enough before the damage becomes irreparable. It feels to me like that is the prevailing mood of much of the population now, not necessarily the minority, and it doesn't surprise me at all to see people protesting. I don't wish to upset or offend, but that is honestly the way I see it.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

How many people do you think it's OK to let die ?

Because lots are now even with the restrictions and rules many of us are adhering to. It would be many more if we didn't in my opinion.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

The reason why I get so angry at the protests is quite simple. The virus has caused chaos to everyone and while the vast majority are doing their best to stop it spreading, some people are moaning at things like the pubs closing early.

We're nearly in October and so far this year I've taken just 8 days of my holiday entitlement and half of that was in January. I work 12 hour night shifts and since March I have done more extra shifts than I have had holiday and as a result I'm permanently tired.

My wife suffers from asthma and is also a diabetic and her parents are in their 70s so the people I care about most are in the vulnerable group, because of this my 2 days off every week from March to July were spent doing the shopping and all the general running about for 2 households so they could stay safe. It's eased off a bit now, but if the cases continue to rise then I'll be back to doing everything again.

Mrs BW is a teacher and was off work from March until the new school year started a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want her to go back because of her condition but she was adamant because "I'm a teacher and that's what I do"

My situation won't be the worst by far, but when people protest over petty things it really pees me off.

Everyone on this forum can't wait to get back to watching football at Elland Road but 99% of us realise it's better in the long run if games are played behind closed doors at the moment and can accept it.
Last edited by BrighouseWhite on 27 Sep 2020, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

I'm not personally overly bothered about not being able to go to live matches, stay in the pub late or even see my extended family. It's the mass unemployment, national debt and disruption to education that concerns me. I don't think it's OK to 'let' anyone die, but I do think the restrictions should apply more to those at risk rather than everyone. All the money spent on furloughing could have been spent on supporting them through it.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

BrighouseWhite wrote: Everyone on this forum can't wait to get back to watching football at Elland Road but 99% of us realise it's better in the long run if games are played behind closed doors at the moment and can accept it.
Guilty as charged on that one BW, I can’t wait to get back to ER.

I’m fortunate enough to be retired, so I don’t feel the pressure of work now, I can only sympathise with those that do. I have a daughter in Australia who I was intending to visit next year for my 50th birthday, that won’t happen now. I have a son at Uni who’s studies have been thrown out the window and he’s working all hours at Iceland (the store, not the country) to make up his rent. I’ve offered to pay his rent, but he’s refused, saying he’ll pay his own way.

Every single one of us could put forward their own personal situation and how the virus has affected them, personally I can’t wait to back to ER for some semblance of normality.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.