Coronavirus

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Coronavirus

Post by yorkfan »

Worryingly, it seems that the AstraZeneca vaccine isn't all that wonderful at protecting from some of the virus variants, particularly the South African one.

Like most folks having their vaccinations at their local health centre, this is the vaccine of choice, so it's to be hoped that following my second scheduled jab, a third "top up" will be offered, once it's been developed.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:We have neighbours still flaunting the regulations & having visitors, different every day. Also a couple opposite have been away 3 days, maybe the queues in the supermarket is busy. :twisted: Meanwhile we plod on as we approach our first anniversary of lockdown. 9th March. Still reading stories of how folk are getting more selfish, the countryside is busier than ever. Can’t get my 2 doses of vaccine quick enough but as I’ve not heard anything about the first it looks like I’ll be in for awhile yet.
Know what you mean NW, one of our neighbour had visitors yesterday that stayed all afternoon, 2nd different visitors they have had in last week. Cathy was fuming as we've not been able to go see the grandson for months and she's desperate to go.
But as we said we would never forgive ourselves if we gave someone it unknowingly so its carrying on until the day its beaten.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

yorkfan wrote:Worryingly, it seems that the AstraZeneca vaccine isn't all that wonderful at protecting from some of the virus variants, particularly the South African one.
As I understand it, from watching the news and reading up on it, there is a small study that suggests the vaccine offers only minimal protection against mild disease, but it’s still very effective against serious illness.

Yes, it’s worrying and I’m relieved my dad had the Pfizer one (or as he calls it the ‘fizzer’ :D), but I’ll gladly have either when my turn comes.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:We have neighbours still flaunting the regulations & having visitors, different every day. Also a couple opposite have been away 3 days, maybe the queue in the supermarket is busy. :twisted:
As mentioned previously, we know of 3 people lost to the virus, the latest a good friend of ours in the village. Thankfully, I’ve seen zero breaking of the rules in the village itself (maybe the death of two villagers has hit home a bit). All I see is everyone keeping themselves to themselves, nobody visiting each other, socially distanced chats etc.

However, the scenes I see on television are just crazy.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Just checked I should get the vaccine between the 12th & 23rd of this month & the second between 7th & 18th May. So it’s looking like a dry birthday this year.
Winner of the Europa League
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Just checked I should get the vaccine between the 12th & 23rd of this month & the second between 7th & 18th May. So it’s looking like a dry birthday this year.
Why? Can't you drink between jabs?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

psquithy wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Just checked I should get the vaccine between the 12th & 23rd of this month & the second between 7th & 18th May. So it’s looking like a dry birthday this year.
Why? Can't you drink between jabs?

Apparently it’s no way near as effective, well that’s what the oracle tells me ;)
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

From memory, the paperwork they issued at the time of the jab only referred to the alcohol ban in the short term. Can't remember the exact wording but I have been having the odd pint and glass of wine since the jab. As long as you don't get stoned out of your brain, I can't see it having any affect on the efficacy of the jab.
I once played against Don Revie.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

johnh wrote:From memory, the paperwork they issued at the time of the jab only referred to the alcohol ban in the short term. Can't remember the exact wording but I have been having the odd pint and glass of wine since the jab. As long as you don't get stoned out of your brain, I can't see it having any affect on the efficacy of the jab.
Looks like when, when I get my letter I’ll need to read the small print :shifty:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I see if you want proof of having had your COVID-19 vaccine your local GP will give you a letter at a cost of a bargain £30 :roll: