Coronavirus

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Coronavirus

Post by HalifaxWhite »

I actually can't beleive there isnt a thread for this already but here it is.

What are peoples thoughts/views on the latest outbreak? Should we be worried?

If somebody asked me this a couple of weeks ago I would have said it's fine don't worry it won't reach us. However the news of Italy over the weekend almost 200 cases and Austria closing it's borders changes the way I feel a bit.

The worry for me is, of the people who have died so far the vast majority or old or vulnerable with pre-existing conditions. I have A 5 year old daughter with heart disease so if we get a UK outbreak we are not leaving the house - I mean that.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Coronavirus

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Are the viruses man made ? This is certainly taking hold of whole countries Italy on lock down. Really is frightening.
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

An old work mate of mine, sadly no longer with us, used to say ‘You can’t control the uncontrollable, so don’t worry about it’. That’s where I’m at with it.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Having visited China (did a tour a couple of years back) I can understand why it spreads so easy over there. The people really do live on top of each other and everything they do is community based.
Can see it getting worse with the amount of tower blocks going up in cities that are already over populated.

Also China have joined the Industrial age years after the Western world so it does make you wonder if some of it is related. We know many diseases in this country back in the day was down to various industries.
I've seen first hand how many factories have popped up in China many pumping out pollution, something we don't see over here nowadays.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Aaron
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Aaron »

The current fatality rate is less than 0.5% for people under the age of 50. But it rises to 8% for people in their 70s and 15% for people over 80. Meanwhile, nearly 11% of people with diseases of the heart died when infected. As did 7% of people with diabetes and 6% of people with long-term lung problems. The average for healthy people is 0.9%.
For the vast majority, it seems we're relatively safe, the worry is how many people it will infect. I saw this morning it's bordering on what is classed as a pandemic. Worrying thing is it attacks lungs. How many might not die but need to be in ICU.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Gods Wrath?

When God created the Garden of Eden, with all the lovely little creatures running about free and wild in this heavenly place he must have been really proud. Then a technical glitch. The East Asians arrived and suddenly everything in this wonderful garden sanctuary of life became a buffet. Predation begins in earnest... Oh God i ask thee why not a better system of population control than killing one another!! Thou shalt not kill... Hey don't look at me i didn't make the rules. Bad God naughty step now please. :angel:

Its at times like this you hope being isolated on a Island would have its benefits.
hashtagleedsunited
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by hashtagleedsunited »

Whilst its awful for those infected and have lost loved ones,
I think that we need a fair perspective on this.

A few weeks ago, TV news channels quoted the facts in numbers...

1% take seriously ill or die as a result of infection. (compared with 1% of the common flu).
In England alone, predictions are that 20-30 K die each year from seasonal flu in winter time.
Just over 2,500 have died in China.
Comparison of the populations show that the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak is NOT something to be overly concerned about... YET.

Caveat is .... do we really know the TRUE and full extent of the outbreak?
Are the figures of new cases gradually trending downwards?

Meanwhile, countries have closed borders etc.... (and rightly so to contain the pandemic)
but I think that it will soon ease and become less of an issue.

Cold comfort for those directly and indirectly affected,
but one wonders if the spin doctors with their anti-China propaganda are at their work ;)
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

The fatality rate is still being assessed so it's a case of wait and see I suppose. At present it doesn't seem to be a real-life version of The Stand ...

I read something recently about these kind of viruses coming out of 'wet' markets, the kind of market where there are potentially lots of different species of live animals packed together (some healthy and some not so I'd guess) all potentially defecating, urinating, sneezing, bleeding and suppurating on or around each other (didn't mean to put you off your dinner) so those viruses that may already be carried by some of those creatures may find the necessary conditions to mutate and jump species. Sounds plausible, dunnit, but who knows?

Currently death rates seem to be higher amongst the older population - no surprise there but it's no comfort to those who are older or have older loved ones.

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

AGE, DEATH RATE*
80+ years old, 14.8%
70-79 years old, 8.0%
60-69 years old, 3.6%
50-59 years old, 1.3%
40-49 years old, 0.4%
30-39 years old, 0.2%
20-29 years old, 0.2%
10-19 years old, 0.2%
0-9 years old , no fatalities

Much more https://www.worldometers.info/ if you're interested.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sovietmule wrote: COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

AGE, DEATH RATE*
80+ years old, 14.8%
70-79 years old, 8.0%
60-69 years old, 3.6%
50-59 years old, 1.3%
40-49 years old, 0.4%
30-39 years old, 0.2%
20-29 years old, 0.2%
10-19 years old, 0.2%
0-9 years old , no fatalities

Much more https://www.worldometers.info/ if you're interested.
Those averages don't mean much to be fair unless they are attached to the chances of catching the virus.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:An old work mate of mine, sadly no longer with us, used to say ‘You can’t control the uncontrollable, so don’t worry about it’. That’s where I’m at with it.
That actually is an excellent way of looking at life :thumbup: