Coronavirus

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
GensanWhite
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Re: Coronavirus

Post by GensanWhite »

it's a shame that people are more comfortable getting out and about for a few rays of sunlight than they are for health and safety of themselves and more so of others.

In the Philippines now a mask is not the only thing that's compulsory, you also have to wear a face shield over your face as well as the face mask. You get fined a chunk of money and or Jail if found not to be wearing one or the other if in public areas (the city center, shopping malls etc) I went out two weeks ago and i got on a multicab (hiace van used for transporting people to and from the city) I looked around as people were looking funny at me and i then realized I wasn't wearing any mask or face shield, I felt like a right idiot and red faced. I hid my face as best as i could from traffic police and anyone outside of the multicab and as soon as i got off i went straight to a pharmacy to buy one of each... lucky for me because not a minute passed and two policemen walked right past me just as i was putting them on and they looked at me query eyed. I just smiled and said the elastic strap broke on my old one and walked away. (phew)

In western countries people tend to be anti masks and face shields and i can't understand why. In Asian countries its become the norm for mask wearing since the Asian flu and other corona viruses during the earlier part of this century. Plus the governments are far stricter than in western countries. (my opinion and experience only)
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I think Cummings should shoulder a lot of the blame for why so many people don't follow the lockdown rules, if you can call them that anyway.

His trip undermined everything.
The subsequent dismissal of it by those in power then undermined things even more.

People aren't stupid - not all of them.
A report down here (from the Isle of Wight I believe) stated that a houseparty was broken up by police this weekend. The hosts claimed that they never watched the news and didn't know there was a pandemic.

I've been to the Isle several times and it is a very backward place with some proper inbreeding going on, but that's ridiculous .. and yet, you know that part of them must have thought "Well, balls to the lot of you - if you can drive the length of the country during a lockdown, why shouldn't I have the neighbours round ?"
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Fines of £800 for anyone attending a house party of more than 15 people will be introduced in England from next week, under new Covid measures.
Why again from next week why not with immediate effect ? This is the thing that really angers me, why can’t the government do things instantly why do rules always take days to become effective. Pathetic it really is, grow a pair Boris :twisted:
Winner of the Europa League
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

rigger wrote:...I think the only solution is to put a physical limit on distance from home, in terms of where people go "once a day" to exercise.
But how do you police it given that we don't have enough officers out there to do so ?
5km limit here in Ireland. Increases slightly as you go back up the tiers.

Hard to police as you say Rigger, but people are being pretty good about it.

There are less people about, therefore less crime, and so we have more checkpoints on our motorways and main roads.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Fines of £800 for anyone attending a house party of more than 15 people will be introduced in England from next week, under new Covid measures.
Why again from next week why not with immediate effect ? This is the thing that really angers me, why can’t the government do things instantly why do rules always take days to become effective. Pathetic it really is, grow a pair Boris :twisted:
Am I being really thick here, but why is the number 15 people ?
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:Am I being really thick here, but why is the number 15 people ?
Mrs SW said exactly the same, it does seem a bit daft (although smaller gatherings its still £200).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Agree 100% but suspect its to do with our democratic red tape, probably need to wake up a few of the house of Lords to sign on the dotted line.

To me it just say's to some of the ******** its ok to have a party this weekend. :crazy:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
I think you have to give people enough notice to know about the fines.
There's no guaranteed way of reaching everyone : some watch the news every night on TV, others read a newspaper, some browse the net for their news (myself) others might get it from social media (!!) while people often have the radio on all day and get it that way.
If it was an instant fine, people could quite reasonably say "Well, when was this introduced ?" and I think they would probably have a case if it ever went as far as a law court.
By giving notice of a few days to a week (like the govt have with most actions during the pandemic) then they're being consistent and fair and it would then be reasonable for the police to say to party people next week "The measures were announced last week" and that way the fine would also be deemed reasonable if it again ever went to court.

I know most people will make a point of either watching the briefings daily or at the very least catching up with them online or in the papers the following morning.
But most people are sensible.
Those sensible people wouldn't have a party anyway so it's the idiots, the lowest common denominator folk that we're talking about and from a moral, legal and ethical position, giving them a week gives them no excuses.

As for the question of 15 people, I don't know. I guess it's properly a party then. If it was, say, ten it might just be two siblings and their spouses, kids and a couple of grandparents, which could probably be deemed as some kind of a support bubble. Fifteen is so high a figure that it rules out that kind of thinking .. but I honestly haven't a clue.
Maybe there'll be an upsurge in sales of Watney's Party 7 ? :problem:

(I can't believe you can still buy them - and you can get them online !!)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

The organiser of a wedding attended by around 400 people on Thursday is facing a £10,000 fine, the Metropolitan Police has said. Five other people were handed £200 fines after police were called at 9.14pm to a large gathering at Yesodey Hatorah Girls Senior School in Stamford Hill, London. The building's windows had been covered to stop people seeing inside, the force said. It comes as people attending illegal house parties will face £800 fines from next week as police tighten their clampdown on coronavirus rule-breaking.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:
I think you have to give people enough notice to know about the fines.
There's no guaranteed way of reaching everyone : some watch the news every night on TV, others read a newspaper, some browse the net for their news (myself) others might get it from social media (!!) while people often have the radio on all day and get it that way.
If it was an instant fine, people could quite reasonably say "Well, when was this introduced ?" and I think they would probably have a case if it ever went as far as a law court.
By giving notice of a few days to a week (like the govt have with most actions during the pandemic) then they're being consistent and fair and it would then be reasonable for the police to say to party people next week "The measures were announced last week" and that way the fine would also be deemed reasonable if it again ever went to court.

I know most people will make a point of either watching the briefings daily or at the very least catching up with them online or in the papers the following morning.
But most people are sensible.
Those sensible people wouldn't have a party anyway so it's the idiots, the lowest common denominator folk that we're talking about and from a moral, legal and ethical position, giving them a week gives them no excuses.

As for the question of 15 people, I don't know. I guess it's properly a party then. If it was, say, ten it might just be two siblings and their spouses, kids and a couple of grandparents, which could probably be deemed as some kind of a support bubble. Fifteen is so high a figure that it rules out that kind of thinking .. but I honestly haven't a clue.
Maybe there'll be an upsurge in sales of Watney's Party 7 ? :problem:

(I can't believe you can still buy them - and you can get them online !!)

I agree with Rigger's points but it did cross my mind that the delay was probably due to some senior politician or member of the House of Lords having a big 'do' this week-end. :shifty:
I once played against Don Revie.