Coronavirus

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:Just had a letter from Imperial College to take part in Covid testing survey.

Filled in the survey and getting test kit sent.
Do you know if that test says whether you’ve already had the virus or not SW ?
Not sure, It should arrive next week with full details, so far just filled in the online survey so far.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:Just had a letter from Imperial College to take part in Covid testing survey.

Not sure, It should arrive next week with full details, so far just filled in the online survey so far.
Let us know how it goes SW, I’d like one of those tests to tell me whether I’ve already had it or not.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:

Let us know how it goes SW, I’d like one of those tests to tell me whether I’ve already had it or not.
Just read the small print on the letter and I get swab test kit which is then collected by a courier and taken to a Lab. Apparently it does tell you if you've had the virus. :thumbup:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:

Just read the small print on the letter and I get swab test kit which is then collected by a courier and taken to a Lab. Apparently it does tell you if you've had the virus. :thumbup:
I’d really like that one. As I’ve said previously, I felt really dodgy around March time, after I mixed with someone who had the virus at a game.

A neighbour of mine had that very same test, which came back negative.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

Selby White wrote: Just read the small print on the letter and I get swab test kit which is then collected by a courier and taken to a Lab. Apparently it does tell you if you've had the virus. :thumbup:
I had exactly the same test earlier this month SW but it didn't tell me whether I'd already had the virus, just if I had it when the test was taken. Which I hadn't as it came back negative :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

MOT1964 wrote:
Selby White wrote: Just read the small print on the letter and I get swab test kit which is then collected by a courier and taken to a Lab. Apparently it does tell you if you've had the virus. :thumbup:
I had exactly the same test earlier this month SW but it didn't tell me whether I'd already had the virus, just if I had it when the test was taken. Which I hadn't as it came back negative :D
Yes that's what I thought as MrSW got chosen a few weeks back and it was as you describe but this letter is worded different to hers.
Will see what happens and what it says when the kit arrives.
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

Selby White wrote:
MOT1964 wrote:
Yes that's what I thought as MrSW got chosen a few weeks back and it was as you describe but this letter is worded different to hers.
Will see what happens and what it says when the kit arrives.
Sounds like it may be different then.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

As I work in a private boarding school, I am quite busy at work looking after a handfull of boarders, key worker kids and 60 support staff and teachers who cant work from home. I get Covid tested once a week, 3 negative ones so far.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I've been talking to an old colleague of mine online this week as he has Covid and has been posting occasional updates on Facebook to keep us all in the loop.

He couldn't stress enough how weak it made him and how fatiguing it is, generally, turning even a slight cough into a minute-by-minute battle against the pain.
I should say at this point that he's 51 or 52 and has been a vegetarian for as long as I can remember, is in good shape and looks after himself as he's a bit of a hippy. He used to run the IT side of things for the student union but was always more of a graphic designer than a tech nerd, but now works freelance as a photographer. A lovely, gentle human being and one of the kindest people I've ever known.

After about ten days, he seemed to be improving slowly as he began to recover his strength, but then he - in his own words - hit "a bump in the road" and had to go into hospital for a few days.
That was a week ago.
He messaged me today with another update :
Pretty **** tbh. I won the first half, which was tough, but sneaky ******* virus got sour grapes and spiked me with pneumonia and multiple blood clots on the lungs as a parting gift.

Docs did the biz and got it all working again, but it’s left me as weak as kitten with a lung capacity to match.

Muscles are hanging off me like bags of dog **** on trees in the park, and can’t climb the stairs without need to wheeze for five minutes.

Slight improvement day on day, but being self employed there is a lot of anxiety to get going again. Tried sitting in my chair but because even my arse muscles are gone, it’s like sitting on bone.

Bit ******* fed up with it all tbh.

We then talked about the "covidiots" and he came back with this :
It’s weird with the Covid deniers, on the one hand I don’t believe a single word - literally - that comes out of a Tory mouth, so it’s easy to dismiss anything they say. But then, there are 194 other countries going through the same **** so denial isn’t really tenable.

I still have no idea how I (we) caught it: always wear a mask, don’t know anyone else who has it. Just a random bit of spittle on a supermarket surface is enough to put you in the helter skelter, then all you can do is hold tight.

He then gave me some real gems that I thought I should share with you all :
What I learned battling Covid : it’s very brutal, so any tiny advantage you can give to yourself or to those your are caring for is significant. Hope some of these are useful.
. . .

Chapstick - you end up mouth breathing so your lips crack quickly.

Child’s tooth paste - regular strength is to harsh and will make you vomit

Miniature fan - your body gets cold but you head gets hot, fan allows fine tuning

Small water bottles - glasses are too awkward to drink from when lying down

Regular baths - the buoyancy relieves some pain and the change of scene is invaluable

While you’re there - flush out your sinuses. There’s an invading army in your nose - do what you can to reduce their number.

Tiny portions of plain food in Tupperware - sometimes you can only manage a mouthful before needing a rest. Keeps things fresh.

Squash or water - acidy fruit juices cause upset

Grapes - little moisture bombs for when you don’t even have the strength to open a water bottle

Cough sweets - a coughing fit will leave you breathless and in pain.

Lie face down - the oxygen sacs are actually close to the surface of your back. Keeping these uppermost allows oxygen to float upwards while letting gravity drain some of the corona goo.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Rigger, please tell your mate that everyone on here (and I'm confident I speak for everyone) is rooting for him and hope that he recovers very soon. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.