Coronavirus

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Coronavirus

Post by MOT1964 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:A work colleague of the Boss returned from Italy 2 weeks ago and came back into work for a week and then complained of feeling unwell. Now she is self isolating for 2 weeks? Eh? That's what i said. Not bad if you can get it hey? We are going to Grabagrotty for a week of winter sun later this month, i have said to the other half if i have to fly the plane myself were going. :shifty:
Don't you just love predictive text Vid :lol:

I assume you mean Lanzarote. Like you, we're off to Tenerife for some sun.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

If you go anywhere with long queues or full tables, just stand there coughing and sneezing and you have the place to yourself in no time.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

MOT1964 wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:A work colleague of the Boss returned from Italy 2 weeks ago and came back into work for a week and then complained of feeling unwell. Now she is self isolating for 2 weeks? Eh? That's what i said. Not bad if you can get it hey? We are going to Grabagrotty for a week of winter sun later this month, i have said to the other half if i have to fly the plane myself were going. :shifty:

No i meant it. :D It was Lanzarotes's old nickname i believe, altho i've never been i think its more modern now. Crickey Tenerife :wtf: you are going right into the Coranvirus action. If all goes to plan you may get stuck out there for a month. :lolno:
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

johnh wrote:If you go anywhere with long queues or full tables, just stand there coughing and sneezing and you have the place to yourself in no time.
Add the sweating to that and we are on to a winner.
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
MOT1964 wrote:

No i meant it. :D It was Lanzarotes's old nickname i believe, altho i've never been i think its more modern now. Crickey Tenerife :wtf: you are going right into the Coranvirus action. If all goes to plan you may get stuck out there for a month. :lolno:
Grabagrotty is a new one to me. A quick search on Google and the only result is "did you mean grabagranny?" :lol:

Tenerife was booked a few months ago, so we'll have to see what happens during the next couple of weeks before we fly :shock:
hashtagleedsunited
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by hashtagleedsunited »

Coronavirus: How the virus has impacted sporting events around the world

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51605235

It is highly likely that many more major sporting events will be postponed - or more likely to be cancelled - in the coming weeks and months ahead.

I hope that the FA will be prudent in their decision making.....

they CANNOT be allowed to postpone / cancel the entire season's efforts by so many football clubs,
so the logical thing to do , IMHO, would be to
1). continue as planned and monitor any widespread increaes in positive cases,
2). assess the impact on a regional basis and act accordingly,
3). IF and only IF there is a significant risk of infection as large gatherings, then the fixtures should continue as planned (with minor postponements) behind closed doors

FULL SCALE CANCELLATIONS SHOULD ONLY BE A LAST RESORT.

Although not ideal, this is probably the best way forward, not just for us, but for all football clubs and the wider sporting world.

(subject to law)

What do YOU think?

EDITED WITH UPDATE:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51718945

Football authorities have held talks with the UK government and public health experts over contingency plans to play matches behind closed doors if the coronavirus outbreak escalates.

One senior football source said such a measure was "a possibility, but weeks rather than days away", and added: "For now, it is business as usual."

Meanwhile, Uefa President Aleksander Ceferin said there was no need to panic.

"Let's try to be optimistic... let's not think about dark scenarios."

If the assumption that the number of confirmed cases doubles every 7 days, and we are 9 weeks away from the end of the season,
then I reckon that there could be time to complete this seasons fixtures, before the anticipated "peak" in the summer;
when more drastic measures could be introduced.

Furthermore, if the 3 month lead up, 3 month peak, and 3 month calming periods are correct, then - if anything - it could mean that the start of next season could be affected by resheduled fixtures etc...
Not good news for the 2020euros, but good news for LUFC in this promotional centenary season.

Coronavirus: Tokyo 2020 could be postponed to end of year - Japan's Olympic minister
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/51717839
This implies that the experts see and end game to this awful Covid-19 outbreak.

#MOT
Last edited by hashtagleedsunited on 03 Mar 2020, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

MOT1964 wrote:
Tenerife was booked a few months ago, so we'll have to see what happens during the next couple of weeks before we fly :shock:
We are in the same situation as got Italy booked in a couple of weeks, just checked and flight is still scheduled to fly.
We are booked through a touring company as includes a number of excursions so its really down to them. They say the will follow the home office advice with regards to travel. If it is cancelled it wont be a problem getting our money back as its all through the one company.

However looking into the future we have an America trip planned and we are touring bit, we have booked flights, hotels, car hire, etc with different companies so will be a total pain sorting it all if cancelled.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

For the cricket which could be under threat we have hotels booked in :-

Leeds six times
Taunton
Cheltenham
Chelmsford
Manchester
Southampton
Newport
London

Will just have to wait & see what happens. All a little surreal at the moment.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:For the cricket which could be under threat we have hotels booked in :-

Leeds six times
Taunton
Cheltenham
Chelmsford
Manchester
Southampton
Newport
London

Will just have to wait & see what happens. All a little surreal at the moment.
I know its not cricket but was on the news (radio 2) today that the FA have discussed finishing the season with games behind closed doors.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:
I know its not cricket but was on the news (radio 2) today that the FA have discussed finishing the season with games behind closed doors.
Personally can’t see the difference of a sports event & the London Underground for instance, where does it all end ?
Winner of the Europa League