Coronavirus

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Coronavirus

Post by johnh »

I have never smoked but when I was a kid there was a make of cigarette called 'Woodbine'. Apparently, this could kill off any, and all, lung based viruses. You always knew when a Woodbine smoker was approaching as you could hear his cough from several hundred yards away.
I once played against Don Revie.
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

johnh wrote:I have never smoked but when I was a kid there was a make of cigarette called 'Woodbine'. Apparently, this could kill off any, and all, lung based viruses. You always knew when a Woodbine smoker was approaching as you could hear his cough from several hundred yards away.
So, if what you're saying is right, then we've had a cure for Coronavirus all along! :shock: ;)
Deleted User 3150

Post by Deleted User 3150 »

My dad smoked woodbines all his life

In his 60's the doctor said his lungs were shot and told us he wouldn't live for long

Aged 70 he contracted a virus which resulted in pneumonia

His lungs couldn't cope and so he died

If he hadn't smoked he would probably lived for a few more years

I have never smoked as I grew up with the awful smell permeating the house
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

yorkfan wrote:Hot off the presses!

It seems that smokers, statistically, are less likely to become infected with Coronavirus … must be that “protective” coating of tar on our lungs which prevents the virus from adhering.

Woohoo, pass me another Marlboro, please. :thumbup:
Thanks for the advice, but I think I’ll take the small risk of catching Coronavirus rather than the much higher risk of lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema, chronic bronchitis and many other diseases.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

whiteinfrance wrote:My dad smoked woodbines all his life

In his 60's the doctor said his lungs were shot and told us he wouldn't live for long

Aged 70 he contracted a virus which resulted in pneumonia

His lungs couldn't cope and so he died

If he hadn't smoked he would probably lived for a few more years

I have never smoked as I grew up with the awful smell permeating the house

My Dad used to smoke 40+ a day. He was a musician and worked from home a lot. He used to work in the 'front room' at the piano doing his arranging. My Mum used to keep him supplied with coffee and there was always a lit cigarette in his mouth. If you went in that room, you could hardly see him. The smoke was like a thick fog! When he was about 45 he decided to stop and never smoked another cigarette. He lived 'till he was 93.
I once played against Don Revie.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Barlow Boy wrote:
yorkfan wrote:Hot off the presses!

It seems that smokers, statistically, are less likely to become infected with Coronavirus … must be that “protective” coating of tar on our lungs which prevents the virus from adhering.

Woohoo, pass me another Marlboro, please. :thumbup:
Thanks for the advice, but I think I’ll take the small risk of catching Coronavirus rather than the much higher risk of lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema, chronic bronchitis and many other diseases.

100%, i have never smoked in my life and refuse to and all the advice from the medical people have said smokers are way more at risk of catching the virus. Think i'll use a Donald and call it Fake News ;)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriafo ... cf90437638

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020 ... 9/12114734

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... ID-19.html
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just heard on the news that lockdown fundamentalists in the North east have been leaving nail traps in woods to discourage people visiting.
Am against people visiting anywhere in numbers, that's for the law to sort. These nutters leaving traps are sick.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:Just heard on the news that lockdown fundamentalists in the North east have been leaving nail traps in woods to discourage people visiting.
Am against people visiting anywhere in numbers, that's for the law to sort. These nutters leaving traps are sick.
A few years back, one of the lads I go dog walking with (a big, but nice, lad) found two traps in the woods where we go walking - the horrible ones which trap the animals feet. They were presumably there to catch badgers or rabbits.

Anyway, he found out that two lads from a neighbouring village had done it and got hold of them one day. Weirdly, oddly and in a hugely coincidental way, these two lads trapped their own feet in these horrible things around the same time, on the same day and have never been back in the village. Apparently, you could hear their screams as they walked back home. We’ve never found another trap since.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:Just heard on the news that lockdown fundamentalists in the North east have been leaving nail traps in woods to discourage people visiting.
A few years back, one of the lads I go dog walking with (a big, but nice, lad) found two traps in the woods where we go walking - the horrible ones which trap the animals feet. They were presumably there to catch badgers or rabbits.

Anyway, he found out that two lads from a neighbouring village had done it and got hold of them one day. Weirdly, oddly and in a hugely coincidental way, these two lads trapped their own feet in these horrible things around the same time, on the same day and have never been back in the village. Apparently, you could hear their screams as they walked back home. We’ve never found another trap since.
Oh dear, how unfortunate. :D
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I read yesterday that there’s places in Wales where the locals are threatening to damage any cars whilst folk are out hiking.
Winner of the Europa League