LUFC Talk - Film Club

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

LUFC Talk - Film Club

Postby Selby White » 20 Mar 2020, 08:59

We are probably all going to spend lots of time at home in the coming weeks months with no sport to watch so a good time to dig out the old DVD's & Videos :D

Big Clint fan and love a good western so last night put on arguably the greatest western ever "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly", brilliant film but the star for me was definitely the Eli Wallach character Tuco Ramirez.

Clint did make some fantastic westerns and will definitely watching a few more in the coming weeks :D

Anyone else going through their film collection ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
User avatar
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 13152
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 11:32

Re: LUFC Talk - Film Club

Postby Davycc » 20 Mar 2020, 09:06

Selby White wrote:We are probably all going to spend lots of time at home in the coming weeks months with no sport to watch so a good time to dig out the old DVD's & Videos :D

Big Clint fan and love a good western so last night put on arguably the greatest western ever "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly", brilliant film but the star for me was definitely the Eli Wallach character Tuco Ramirez.

Clint did make some fantastic westerns and will definitely watching a few more in the coming weeks :D

Anyone else going through their film collection ?


I didn't learn with the few vinyl records I had, threw them out when I got CDs. Just last month I took 2 TESCO for life bafs full of DVDs to the charity shop.... Tracey still hasn't forgave me for taking her Madame X DVD ... can't get it anywhere now :cry:

So yes will probably be trying to find films on Sky etc.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
User avatar
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 12211
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Under a thumb

Re: LUFC Talk - Film Club

Postby NottinghamWhite » 20 Mar 2020, 09:26

Watched the Odessa Files last night.
User avatar
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 27418
Joined: 11 Nov 2009, 10:10

Re: LUFC Talk - Film Club

Postby rigger » 20 Mar 2020, 09:44

I love old black and white films, either classic American noir or silly British comedies and anything in between.
Last night I introduced Jeanna to Margaret Rutherford in Murder Most Foul from 1964. She plays Miss Marple in her own unique style as she tries to solve a murder case centred on a theatrical troupe fronted by Ron Moody. The rest of the cast includes James Bolam, Windsor Davies and Terry Scott, all very fresh faced, and it's a cracking story and a really enjoyable picture all round.

Had to explain some of the language used as it was a little dated here and there, such as when a rather camp theatrical agent described a particular play as a "flopperoo" :)
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 15036
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: LUFC Talk - Film Club

Postby johnh » 20 Mar 2020, 09:54

Haven't got a 'film collection' but occasionally find something watchable on Youtube.
I once played against Don Revie.
User avatar
johnh
Don Revie's bingo caller
 
Posts: 7843
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 15:26

Re: LUFC Talk - Film Club

Postby NottinghamWhite » 20 Mar 2020, 09:56

rigger wrote:I love old black and white films, either classic American noir or silly British comedies and anything in between.
Last night I introduced Jeanna to Margaret Rutherford in Murder Most Foul from 1964. She plays Miss Marple in her own unique style as she tries to solve a murder case centred on a theatrical troupe fronted by Ron Moody. The rest of the cast includes James Bolam, Windsor Davies and Terry Scott, all very fresh faced, and it's a cracking story and a really enjoyable picture all round.

Had to explain some of the language used as it was a little dated here and there, such as when a rather camp theatrical agent described a particular play as a "flopperoo" :)


100% agree, we watched a couple of Basil Rathbone’s Sherlock Holmes which we really enjoyed ( my favourite Sherlock ;) ) We have TCM which is excellent for old movies.
User avatar
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 27418
Joined: 11 Nov 2009, 10:10

Re: LUFC Talk - Film Club

Postby rigger » 20 Mar 2020, 10:05

Rathbone was the daddy !
Such a perfect piece of casting.
Their version of The Hound is the best I've ever seen. Love Nigel Bruce (I think) as Watson, too. Always seemed to be less a case of him being a bit bumbling and more permanently tipsy, IMHO :)

TCM is great.
There's a couple of other channels on FreeView - Talking Pictures and Sony Movies - that also show old films.
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 15036
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: LUFC Talk - Film Club

Postby NottinghamWhite » 20 Mar 2020, 10:35

Today’s movie is going to be The Charge of the Light Brigade with Trevor Howard.
User avatar
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 27418
Joined: 11 Nov 2009, 10:10

Re: LUFC Talk - Film Club

Postby rigger » 20 Mar 2020, 10:36

I think we'll be getting into the newly available Studio Ghibli collection on Netflix.
We're both into manga so that should keep us going for a few weeks :)
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 15036
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: LUFC Talk - Film Club

Postby Selby White » 20 Mar 2020, 11:05

rigger wrote:There's a couple of other channels on FreeView - Talking Pictures and Sony Movies - that also show old films.


Have watched one or two on Sony Movies recently, they are putting a few old classics on there.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
User avatar
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 13152
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 11:32

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests