LUFC Talk - Film Club

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: LUFC Talk - Film Club

Post by Selby White »

Watched Psycho last night the 1960 Hitchcock original, black & white great film with a cracking performance from Anthony Perkins as Norman.

It was the 2nd biggest earner at the box office that year behind Spartacus and amazingly neither was even nominated for a best picture Oscar. :crazy:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Selby White wrote:Watched Psycho last night the 1960 Hitchcock original, black & white great film with a cracking performance from Anthony Perkins as Norman.

It was the 2nd biggest earner at the box office that year behind Spartacus and amazingly neither was even nominated for a best picture Oscar. :crazy:
Go back a few posts, mate :D

We actually watched Psycho 2 the other day, having never seen it before.
It was really good for about an hour - a proper psychological thriller - until the first bit of real violence kicks in.
There's the initial scene, which comes quite late, then two or three others after that, all of which look absolutely pathetic, like an am-dram production with ketchup all over the place, and they ruined what could've been a tense, tightly-drawn sequel. Instead, it became a bit of a cartoon. Edit those scenes out and replace them with the suggested violence of the original and it would stand up a whole lot better.
It's still worth watching though, as it's quite an ingenious follow-up in terms of what happened to Norman after the first picture.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:
Selby White wrote:Watched Psycho last night the 1960 Hitchcock original, black & white great film with a cracking performance from Anthony Perkins as Norman.

Go back a few posts, mate :D

We actually watched Psycho 2 the other day, having never seen it before.
It was really good for about an hour - a proper psychological thriller - until the first bit of real violence kicks in.
There's the initial scene, which comes quite late, then two or three others after that, all of which look absolutely pathetic, like an am-dram production with ketchup all over the place, and they ruined what could've been a tense, tightly-drawn sequel. Instead, it became a bit of a cartoon. Edit those scenes out and replace them with the suggested violence of the original and it would stand up a whole lot better.
It's still worth watching though, as it's quite an ingenious follow-up in terms of what happened to Norman after the first picture.
Actually have Psycho 2 on video (for those who remember them) so seen it a couple of times at least. First time I'd actually watched the original all the way through (watched it from half an hour in once many years ago).

Seem to remember watching a prequel once which went back to Normans childhood, can't recall much about it so probably not that great.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Has anyone seen The Irishman starring De Nero, Pesci & Pacino ?
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Not yet.
Got it to watch but just can't be arsed. I heard a few negative things about it from people I trust and so it's gone to the back of the list .. plus it's about three hours long, isn't it ? It takes Jeanna and I about that long to watch a normal film these days.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

rigger wrote:Not yet.
Got it to watch but just can't be arsed. I heard a few negative things about it from people I trust and so it's gone to the back of the list .. plus it's about three hours long, isn't it ? It takes Jeanna and I about that long to watch a normal film these days.
Yeah 3 & half hours long hence why I asked ;) think yourself I’ll bung it on the back burner for the time being.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

I like DeNiro, Pacino and Scorcese but I don't think they should be on a pedestal the way they are.

I guess it's the closest America gets to the likes of Peter Greenaway or Kenneth Branagh in the film/stage royalty stakes, but all the people mentioned have made some stinkers and also done a lot of stuff for a lot of cash.

I actually thought DeNiro had given up his serious acting chops to churn out comedies given what he's done over the last ten years or so, while Pacino has been doing adverts.

The Godfather series is epic and wonderful, but I'd rather watch The Sopranos again, personally.
Plus, I'm not all that in to bigging up the mafia in the first place.

I'm more of a genre fan anyway and will happily while away three and a half hours watching two bang average sci-fi capers than feel I need to watch The Irishman.

Actually, having said all that, I've been watching loads of Laurel and Hardy pictures lately, some dating back to the early 30s.
Absolute genius, both of them, but Stan really was the funniest man on the planet.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:I like DeNiro, Pacino and Scorcese but I don't think they should be on a pedestal the way they are.

I guess it's the closest America gets to the likes of Peter Greenaway or Kenneth Branagh in the film/stage royalty stakes, but all the people mentioned have made some stinkers and also done a lot of stuff for a lot of cash.

I actually thought DeNiro had given up his serious acting chops to churn out comedies given what he's done over the last ten years or so, while Pacino has been doing adverts.

The Godfather series is epic and wonderful, but I'd rather watch The Sopranos again, personally.
Plus, I'm not all that in to bigging up the mafia in the first place.

I'm more of a genre fan anyway and will happily while away three and a half hours watching two bang average sci-fi capers than feel I need to watch The Irishman.

Actually, having said all that, I've been watching loads of Laurel and Hardy pictures lately, some dating back to the early 30s.
Absolute genius, both of them, but Stan really was the funniest man on the planet.
The funniest man from that era was Buster Keaton. The original 'dead pan' funny man. Did all his own stunts too. I do agree though, Laurel and Hardy were not far behind.
The original 'straight man' and 'funny man'.
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Used to love going to the 'pictures' when I was a lad, but haven't been for years. One memory I have is of watching the film 'Walking my baby back home'. A musical in black and white. Can't remember who was in it. The Army Film Unit came to our camp on the edge of the jungle in Malaya. They tied a screen up between two palm trees, pitch dark in the evening. We sat on the ground with the armoured cars parked behind us, in case the CT's decided to have a pop at us. It was a musical, not a genre that I was particularly keen on but it brought a little civilisation into our lives! :D (1955)
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

johnh wrote:Used to love going to the 'pictures' when I was a lad, but haven't been for years. One memory I have is of watching the film 'Walking my baby back home'. A musical in black and white. Can't remember who was in it. The Army Film Unit came to our camp on the edge of the jungle in Malaya. They tied a screen up between two palm trees, pitch dark in the evening. We sat on the ground with the armoured cars parked behind us, in case the CT's decided to have a pop at us. It was a musical, not a genre that I was particularly keen on but it brought a little civilisation into our lives! :D (1955)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046531/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0