How’s everyone doing ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: How’s everyone doing ?

Post by Barlow Boy »

I was fortunate enough to be able to retire at 45, around 4 years ago now, and I can honestly say I have not missed it one little bit, especially at the moment when the insurance industry is in absolute turmoil.

I still speak to some of the lads who, like me, could have retired but carried on working, and they seem happy enough so who am I to argue but I’m firmly in the retire as soon as you can crew.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I retired at 56, in my 11th year now & I love it. Sadly I’ll miss my main passion of cricket this summer. Have had to cancel hotels in Chelmsford & Leeds already & think I’ll be cancelling the rest soon.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

To Answer the original question we are doing fine and not having any issues with the Lockdown.

We are going out for a walk each morning and have been impressed the way virtually everyone is sticking to the rules giving distance to everyone as they pass even if it means walking on the road for a few yards.
Afternoons its housework or gardening (fortunately we have a decent sized garden and the weeds are losing this year). Spare time Mrs SW likes to read where I'll do puzzle books, together we've dug a few Jigsaws out. Did find a set of Domino's and started to teach Mrs SW 5's & 3's but abandoned that when she beat me. :roll:
Still lots of Jobs on the list which we are picking at but to be honest it feels like life as slowed and we can just do things in our own time.

Obviously lots of things have changed as we both like our sport but Clubs, Leagues and the Leisure Centre Closed its all out the question. Have actually dusted off a exercise bike that has not been used for a long time and we are both giving it a short daily workout.

In normal life we stop for a coffee most days whether when out walking or after Mrs Sw's Swim. We also have lunch out on average twice a week (just a sarnie at a garden centre or cafe) and go out to a restaurant once a week for a nice meal. Saving us a bit of money is this virus.

Shopping we are trying to do it about every 10 days, just one big shop and to be honest since the week the shelves where stripped of essentials they seem quiet. Well organised as well only letting a few in at a time and cleaning trolleys before you pick them up.

Stay Safe Everyone :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I retired at 37, got bored so took a part time job. Got divorced (her brief was way better than mine) and to start back full time. Hopefully will be in a position to retire again at 60!
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

If I lost my spark I could get it back easily by replacing some plug sockets like Davy. :idea: :shock:
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Boris and Dominic did their homework on me, in view of the following, the car has literally not moved for a long time......

Elland Road - Shut
Gym - Shut
Pubs - Shut
Restaurants - Shut
Non Essential Shops - Shut
Dad’s - Out Of Bounds
Mother In Laws - Out Of Bounds

Thankfully, we are booking online shops for the supermarkets without any issues, so I’m not having to run the gauntlet there, we literally have no reason to leave the house other than pottering in the garden and a dog walk or two.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Thankfully, we are booking online shops for the supermarkets without any issues, so I’m not having to run the gauntlet there, we literally have no reason to leave the house other than pottering in the garden and a dog walk or two.
That’s a real problem here with all slots both delivery & pick ups booked at least 3 weeks in advance. Luckily with Sainsbury’s we’re getting a weekly slot as we’re classed as “ vulnerable “ the daughter lives round the corner so anything like wine or prescriptions her or her hubby will pick it up.
Still amazed that people are still flaunting the laws, the other daughter in Northampton tells us the police had to break up a large family barbecue on Sunday :roll:
Every night that’s to technology we’re having a video call via WhatsApp for the family. Something we look forward to.
Winner of the Europa League
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Going to work every day in the NHS where things are surreal in so many ways and so many extraordinary things going on. There is plenty being written and described about the situation at the sharp, clinical end which is unsurprising. However let me tell you about some of the other stranger than strange things that are noticeable - to me anyway - which some might think are mundane

The hospital corridors are empty, car parks with loads of spaces, all sorts of colleagues doing all sorts of different work in the effort to effect and help with changes to cope with changing needs of the service, a quiet hush around the place as people are rushing about the place trying very hard to maintain social distance and simply getting on with it as there is no other choice. Also there is really a sense of togetherness in the workplace from top to bottom and sideways on. More than ever there is no telling what tomorrow will bring. These are the random things going through my mind. Head down and getting on with it.

These are indeed very strange times.
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

PhoenixUnited wrote:Going to work every day in the NHS where things are surreal in so many ways and so many extraordinary things going on. There is plenty being written and described about the situation at the sharp, clinical end which is unsurprising. However let me tell you about some of the other stranger than strange things that are noticeable - to me anyway - which some might think are mundane

The hospital corridors are empty, car parks with loads of spaces, all sorts of colleagues doing all sorts of different work in the effort to effect and help with changes to cope with changing needs of the service, a quiet hush around the place as people are rushing about the place trying very hard to maintain social distance and simply getting on with it as there is no other choice. Also there is really a sense of togetherness in the workplace from top to bottom and sideways on. More than ever there is no telling what tomorrow will bring. These are the random things going through my mind. Head down and getting on with it.

These are indeed very strange times.
Thank you for the sterling work.
I'm a key worker but don't feel like one as I'm not exposing myself anywhere near as much as most .. please pardon the expression.

By the way, I just had a chuckle when I saw your status on the right under your avatar - seems highly appropriate at the moment :D
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
That’s a real problem here with all slots both delivery & pick ups booked at least 3 weeks in advance. Luckily with Sainsbury’s we’re getting a weekly slot as we’re classed as “ vulnerable “ the daughter lives round the corner so anything like wine or prescriptions her or her hubby will pick it up.
Still amazed that people are still flaunting the laws, the other daughter in Northampton tells us the police had to break up a large family barbecue on Sunday :roll:
Every night that’s to technology we’re having a video call via WhatsApp for the family. Something we look forward to.
I just looked on Sainsbury’s, and we could easily get a delivery on Sunday if we wanted, we are not in the vulnerable group or anything, just getting regular slots like everyone else. I’ve heard several accounts in the media, like you say, that slots simply aren’t there but for some reason it’s not an issue here.

Glad you’re staying in touch with folk, our regular season ticket crew are having ‘virtual pub Saturdays’, each week we grab a beer at 1pm, set up our Skype and have a good catch up, a couple of our lot live alone and they really do look forward to our chats.