How’s everyone doing ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: How’s everyone doing ?

Post by johnh »

Just got a delivery of 16 bottles of London Pride organised by my daughter. Yesterday our next door neighbour gave us a loaf of bread and a pint of milk as we had run short. They wouldn't take any money. Just left 4 bottles of London Pride on their front step. We are surrounded by really good neighbours, like gold dust.
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Son-in-law just turned up with a load of shopping for us. Keep us going for a week or so, also means we don't have to touch our 'emergency' stocks (mainly tinned stuff) which is worth another week. There does seem to be a degree of normality creeping back into shopping.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

johnh wrote:Just got a delivery of 16 bottles of London Pride organised by my daughter. Yesterday our next door neighbour gave us a loaf of bread and a pint of milk as we had run short. They wouldn't take any money. Just left 4 bottles of London Pride on their front step. We are surrounded by really good neighbours, like gold dust.
you will get to see a fair bit of community spirit coming back during a crisis Johnh, Nowadays it's not so prevalent as it used to be but those small acts of kindness really lifts the spirits in times like this.

In the year of 2020 it really is becoming an eye opener for us all. Were having to take a step backwards and look inward at ourselves our community, our country and also the system we live in. I know this might sound a bit silly and I don't mean any harm by saying it but in some ways the coronavirus is a good thing too although for obvious reasons it's not as its killing people. But, underneath all of this there will be a lot of people who will be analyzing themselves a bit more and taking a more reasoned approach to change themselves in some way. For me personally speaking, I have looked at myself as a husband, father, son, brother and even a friend and how I am as a person with people in my life. I realized I can be such a selfish prat at times and not contact my father as much as I should as he's 76 now and i'm 7500 miles away from him. I rang him two days ago just to say hello and tell him I loved him, I haven't said that to him for a long long time out of male pride or being a selfish prat. We spoke only for a few minutes but the result was amazing, he cried on the phone and i apologized for not being as close as i should be. I told him i missed him so much. It's the basic stuff we forget at times and when something as terrible as this coronavirus is I was thinking of ringing him for weeks but always looked for the excuse not to. Glad i did do it now as i'm worried about him as he's a diabetic. I wanted to reassure him not about my welfare for once but because i love the bones of my father and how much I admire the man for all that he's done for me. God forbid if anything happened to him while my pride got in the way. Complacency has a terrible way of affecting people and when someone dies or is gone from our lives before we get to say the things we wanted to say it can add a guilty complex for ever after.

MOT all
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

So far so good. On my way to work i got pulled over bye the Police the other morning at 4.45am. Responding to the blue flashing lights i pulled over and wound the window down fully expecting the copper to ask me where i'm going at such a godly hour.. It turns out he thought i'd nicked my own car and ask me why it was registered in Warwickshire? Half asleep and puzzled i said maybe the insurance is based down there or something? Anyway he scanned my reg plate again and everything came back correct this time and on my way i went to work. It reaffirmed the Mrs opinion on me looking like a dodgy. :angel:

Works going ok so far although we are all super sensitive at the minute about cleanliness, especially peoples hands when exchanging money. I can tell you the message is not getting through to everyone about washing their hands regularly. And the same people never seem to wear gloves and always pay in cash. :shifty: I do feel that a small minority are using the supermarket more often than they need to to justify getting out of the house for a extra bit of time. But it is what it is.

Thankfully the panic buying has eased, especially in our shop anyway. Once the lockdown was confirmed i think people suddenly realised that we really are all in this together now. If anyone needs toilet roll i've got a garage full. :lolno:

Keep up the good work everyone and stay safe it will soon be over. I hope. :thumbup:
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

johnh wrote:Just got a delivery of 16 bottles of London Pride...
Nice one Sir John. What you gonna do tomorrow night though? ;)
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

One thing that's really pleased me about all this (relatively speaking of course), is the attitude in our supermarkets here in Galway.

As a result of all the aisles/checkouts marked out at 2 meter intervals, it has provided a strange, but welcoming, relaxation to life in general. Everyone realises that it's going to take longer to get through the checkout, so the atmosphere is one of calm, understanding and sympathetic smiles to fellow shoppers - a complete contrast to my previous rant about work!

Stay well everyone :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

kk_white wrote:One thing that's really pleased me about all this (relatively speaking of course), is the attitude in our supermarkets here in Galway.

As a result of all the aisles/checkouts marked out at 2 meter intervals, it has provided a strange, but welcoming, relaxation to life in general. Everyone realises that it's going to take longer to get through the checkout, so the atmosphere is one of calm, understanding and sympathetic smiles to fellow shoppers - a complete contrast to my previous rant about work!

Stay well everyone :thumbup:
It got a little inpatient during the panic buying stage but since lockdown everyone appreciates the situation better now and are generally pleasant and understanding.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Just wanted to say a massive thanks to anyone who is working away as normal keeping things going. NHS obviously but store workers, deliveries, pharmacy workers just all those that have to just "function" as normal and work away.

Appreciate it and please pass it on to those in your family circle and friends.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Davycc wrote:Just wanted to say a massive thanks to anyone who is working away as normal keeping things going. NHS obviously but store workers, deliveries, pharmacy workers just all those that have to just "function" as normal and work away.

My lad, who is currently at University, has just told me he is working at Iceland supermarket on Tuesday (his 21st birthday) as several of his colleagues are self isolating.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Davycc wrote:Just wanted to say a massive thanks to anyone who is working away as normal keeping things going. NHS obviously but store workers, deliveries, pharmacy workers just all those that have to just "function" as normal and work away.

My lad, who is currently at University, has just told me he is working at Iceland supermarket on Tuesday (his 21st birthday) as several of his colleagues are self isolating.
Good for him. My grandson is home in Nottingham from Liverpool Uni. He doesn't know if they are taking their final exams in May or if they are deciding grades on last years work. This virus is hitting every corner of society. BB, tell your lad, if its any consolation, I had my 21st birthday on a troopship in the middle of the Indian Ocean! :D