Holiday Refunds.

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Holiday Refunds.

Post by Barlow Boy »

We had a small trip booked, just a week in Northumberland for a week, nothing special compared to other holidays discussed in this thread, but to a place Mrs B had always fancied, which I’d booked as one of her Christmas presents. I’d scheduled to go during the international break, so I wouldn’t miss a game, we were due to arrive there on Friday 27th March.

As the date approached, and with no sign of a cancellation on their part, I’d basically written off the money, in view of Mrs B’s health conditions there’s no chance I’d go and gamble her health for a few hundred quid. Anyway, around 3ish the day before, Nicola Sturgeon put Scotland into lockdown, within minutes I’d received an e-mail saying our little jaunt was cancelled and they’d be in touch (I didn’t realise that Northumberland fell under Scottish government tbh).

We then received one of the much maligned ‘credit notes’, unbelievably, this had an expiry date of 1st September, meaning we had to use this voucher by that time and had to book the same dates the following year. I wrote to them to complain and received a reply saying the deadline was extended to 31st December.

I can live with that to be fair, but several people who booked with the same company won’t.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

It's scandalous that they are closed and you can't get a refund, in fact suspect its illegal.

BB, Do you have hol insurance because I believe if your stay is for more than one night you should be covered as long as you had the insurance before the pandemic.
They would pay you then I assume chase the hotel for it, worked for me with airport hotel.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

This week, we were supposed to be going down to the south coast of NSW just past Wollongong for 5 days. Thankfully Wotif who we booked with have given us a voucher that we can use anytime in the next 12 months.

Looking at November so we can get to see the Wings over Illawarra airshow which was moved from this Saturday.

Fingers crossed!!!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:It's scandalous that they are closed and you can't get a refund, in fact suspect its illegal.

BB, Do you have hol insurance because I believe if your stay is for more than one night you should be covered as long as you had the insurance before the pandemic.
They would pay you then I assume chase the hotel for it, worked for me with airport hotel.
No, I didn’t take out the insurance, the policy they tried to sell us wouldn’t have covered it anyway.

As mentioned, I can live with what they are offering to be honest, once I know the football fixtures we will just book next year. There just seems to be no unity of response from the travel industry to me.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:It's scandalous that they are closed and you can't get a refund, in fact suspect its illegal.

No, I didn’t take out the insurance, the policy they tried to sell us wouldn’t have covered it anyway.

As mentioned, I can live with what they are offering to be honest, once I know the football fixtures we will just book next year. There just seems to be no unity of response from the travel industry to me.
Its certainly sorting the decent ones from the Micky Mouse outfits that's for sure.

Travel expert on TV was saying that by law that if they close any voucher should be for 12 month with the option to book for the same price but you should also have the option of full refund. Its clearly not happening with all companies.

Got most of mine sorted as it hit two hols although got some bookings in America that are an issue, not everywhere is closed so hoping they do.
Hull Trains have also been a pain with train tickets.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Selby White wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Ryanair to its customers. We have unfortunately have had to cancel your flights due to Corvid19 click here to claim your refund. Did that. 2 weeks later a nice reassuring e-mail telling me to be patient refund is being processed, another 2 weeks same message again. Then after 6 weeks send me a voucher to be spent in 12 months and if i want my money back it will only be authorised once Corvid19 has passed whenever that will be???? Lovely! Anyway my bank are hopefully going to apply for my money on my behalf.
That's crap on their behalf, good luck Vid hope you get some joy
Cheers Selb. I wouldn't mind personally if it was a open ended voucher but i just get a feeling that anyone paying by voucher will be paying higher prices than those paying by cash when its all over (they are a law unto themselves). I don't normally book with Ryanair if i can help it tbh, they normally have all the cheap slots, but for this particular place they had very good slots. If it was me defaulting on the law financially i would be receiving criminal charges or bailiff letters.

Glad to hear you have got most of yours sorted.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Ryanair to its customers. We have unfortunately have had to cancel your flights due to Corvid19 click here to claim your refund. Did that. 2 weeks later a nice reassuring e-mail telling me to be patient refund is being processed, another 2 weeks same message again. Then after 6 weeks send me a voucher to be spent in 12 months and if i want my money back it will only be authorised once Corvid19 has passed whenever that will be???? Lovely! Anyway my bank are hopefully going to apply for my money on my behalf.
Mrs Cheffy was due to fly to Poland on March 30th with Wizz Air. At the time Poland had only closed its borders for 2 weeks, ending on March 29th. My wife contacted Wizz Air as soon as Polish borders were closed to try and get a refund. She was told that the borders might reopen on the 30th and the flight would then be scheduled to fly, she could try and claim a refund after the 30th if the borders remained closed. This she did. She was offered a refund of 120% of the ticket price. She could receive a voucher immediately, valid indefinitely or wait 60 days from date of cancellation for her credit card to be credited. Still waiting but will post if the refund is 60 days.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Glad to hear you have got most of yours sorted.
Most yes but not all still over £600 to try get back from American Hotels. Fortunately we got our flights, Vegas hotel and Car hire refunded (money is back in our account). Plus Expedia are refunding two hotels we have booked through them on our planned road trip although money as yet to arrive (they did say 30 days).

We have two hotels booked none refundable one in Utah that is still open so its down to us but fortunately they haven't taken the money off my credit car yet and I've since changed my card so they have no chance :D
Another in Willliams (near Grand Canyon) is closed until 8th May and we are due to arrive there on 13th for a couple of nights, hope they extend their closure then we should be able to claim our cash back.

The big part is we have a Self catering unit booked in Sedona Arizona for a week to finish our trip and they have just extended their closure date to the 15th May (was 1st last week). You probably guessed the 15th is the day we arrive so def need them to extend again before we can claim our money back.

Airport hotels in UK have all paid up only issue as been with Hull trains (tickets to London) they are trying to get us to move our bookings. Its this Sunday we were scheduled to go so as long as the train doesn't run they will have to pay but can't claim until then.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Selby White wrote: Expedia are refunding two hotels we have booked through them on our planned road trip although money as yet to arrive (they did say 30 days).

We have two hotels booked none refundable one in Utah that is still open so its down to us but fortunately they haven't taken the money off my credit car yet and I've since changed my card so they have no chance :D
Another in Willliams (near Grand Canyon) is closed until 8th May and we are due to arrive there on 13th for a couple of nights, hope they extend their closure then we should be able to claim our cash back.
The money arrived back into my account from Expedia yesterday (just over £100).

The Williams hotel have now cancelled my booking so that money should be on its way back eventually.

Will leave me £400 still outstanding for a week in Sedona from 15th but although they say they are opening that day on their website it no longer allows people to book so expecting cancellation soon, fingers crossed. :D

Should have arrived in Vegas yesterday, could now be a millionaire :(
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Daughters still waiting on their money back from Tui have said they don’t want a cover note. We’re still waiting on East Midlands Trains. Worked out the other day we haven’t spent almost £4400 this cricket season already, soon mounts up.
Winner of the Europa League