Space Exploration

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Is the vast amount of money spent on space exploration worth it or should it be spent elsewhere?

Poll ended at 02 Jun 2020, 08:32

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 10

Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Space Exploration

Post by Davycc »

After nearly 10 years of having no way of putting a man into space NASA are about to send to Astronauts to the space station on a commercial SpaceX rocket. It's reconned that the Apollo project cost in todays money $228 Billion and with the aim to send men to Mars there's going to be a few more dollars spent. I'm sure many of us have reasons for thinking one or the other, discuss.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Re: Space Exploration

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and a thousand more times yes.

But NASA is no longer the organisation it was and the whole shebang needs to be placed in the hands of an international group of scientists who run it independent of any government because politics has done for publically-funded space exploration in the US.

I'm not comfortable with Branson or Musk's operations because they're both too commercial.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

So we get to Mars, then what? Anyway, how do we take enough supplies for the journey (months) the time there and the journey back? Other Solar Systems are too far to be able to get there, unless we come up with some sort of hibernation system for crews or find out how Captain Kirk's warp drive worked. I think we just need to concentrate on how we get round the M25 in rush hour or to Barnard Castle without anyone noticing.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Doesn't need to be Mars or the moon again.

IMHO I'd prefer a permanent, modular space station that could be expanded, renewed and repurposed as technology advances that would serve as a base for future endeavours.
Mars is pointless at the moment, in terms of a manned mission, other than to prove we can do it. Well, you know we already have done it : we've got there and we've filmed it, taken samples, etc .. the cost of sending a crew is prohibitive at this stage and I think that money could definitely be better utilised serving either the rest of the space program or, as the original question implied, some other aspect of human life.

I fundamentally believe as a species we should push onwards and outwards though.

.. but then I'm a massive sci-fi nut :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

My initial reaction was No its too much money that could be put to better use.

Then after a thought its actually achieved quite a lot with all the satellites floating around up there providing us with the means to contact anywhere in the world. Not only that millions of people are employed industry's that are reliable on them (phones, media, navigation systems, etc).

So going to say yes.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... lodes-test

I've seen a lot of weird, random coincidences this week but this one is alarming.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I got a bit emotional watching that launch, particularly the virtual hugs with their families prior to blast off.

Going out a bit later to see the ISS going by.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I saw the dot in the sky last night...
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Bit strange that for such a momentous occasion, Space X only had one camera on the lading pad WHICH cut out then hey presto after 30 seconds there it is safely landed. Surely they would have had multiple cameras recording this?

I sound like a conspiricy theorist, I'm not, man has been to the moon, the earth is NOT flat, but this just made me think.

Thoughts anyone.

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
arfa
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by arfa »

I saw a story a long time back that a space scientist was sat next to a medical person on a long flight. They had a conversation about their jobs. The space scientist said that he was working on equipment that could detect extremely faint signals from the farthest reaches of space. The medical person then started to wonder if these detectors could be used in medical equipment. This conversation eventually led to the development of some of the scanners that are now used in hospitals to detect all kinds of medical conditions.