Seriously thinking of leaving both this site and Facebook ..

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Seriously thinking of leaving both this site and Faceboo

Post by Another Northern Soul »

rigger wrote:Thanks for the comments : some much appreciated advice from all of you there.
I think maybe you're right about stepping back or just not logging on and/or commenting so much ..

It's nothing to do with lockdown either, btw - I've been working as normal throughout - unless you take it that everybody's views are getting more binary since Brexit and are now amplified through the odd prism of lockdown.
Rigger, maybe contrary to some opinion, me and you rarely agree on stuff but we have somehow always managed to keep a level of civility between us :)

As a mod, as you know I'm relaxed about the situation - if it's thought I should step down as one then I would, without grumble, but in my guise as a 'normal' forum member, I'd only leave if it starts to stress me out, life's too precious to let social media suffocate you with antisocial behaviour by people who just want to spoil everything for the rest.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
rigger wrote:Thanks for the comments : some much appreciated advice from all of you there.
I think maybe you're right about stepping back or just not logging on and/or commenting so much ..

It's nothing to do with lockdown either, btw - I've been working as normal throughout - unless you take it that everybody's views are getting more binary since Brexit and are now amplified through the odd prism of lockdown.
Rigger, maybe contrary to some opinion, me and you rarely agree on stuff but we have somehow always managed to keep a level of civility between us :)

As a mod, as you know I'm relaxed about the situation - if it's thought I should step down as one then I would, without grumble, but in my guise as a 'normal' forum member, I'd only leave if it starts to stress me out, life's too precious to let social media suffocate you with antisocial behaviour by people who just want to spoil everything for the rest.
Good points ANS. I honestly don't see much of this on LUFCTALK, unlike some other football websites I have been on. If I ever come under unacceptable flak, I just leave for a few days, the short attention span of the perpetrators usually solves the problem. I have said on a number of occasions, this is an exceptionally well run site and that is down to the Mod's. My advice Rig's is to stick with it and just ignore the (very few) idiots. Deny them oxygen and they will disappear.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

For what it's worth and it's just my opinion I really think you should do one !

Seriously though theres a hint of truth in the joke above, do one as in get away from social media until, if ever you feel drawn back. I had a Twitter account which I deleted several months ago as it was just starting to get me down, constant negativity broken by the odd funny quip/gif which in the end wasn't enough. I've a facebook page but rarely visit it and never post, apologies to several forum members as when I ever log in to Facebook I get friends suggestions.

This site now, and I've even been on less until a few days ago is the only personal online social mixing I do. I've said before I truely believe that once the football starts again and we get back to somesort of normality this place will lift again.

Rigger, like some have said, you do whats best for you and those closest to you, but personally I do hope you stick around.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I don't do Facebook or Twitter, never have and never will!!!

I don't do forums bar this one as it has been one of the more respectful ones around.

Rigger only you know what's the best cause of action for you so if you need a break take it. A few weeks or months away may re-energise you.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Aaron
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Aaron »

Take some time away. Admitedly I've never been a really active member here, but there's times I've gone a couple of months without visiting the forum and usually come back refreshed.

I have Facebook, but only use it for my business page and Messenger. I don't have any socials other than a Reddit account that's completely anonymous (I have WhatsApp, but that's essentially a messenger app). I'm a web developer, so I'm at the computer all day - the last thing I want to do after work is to scroll through the dross on socials.