Trains & Boats question ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Trains & Boats question ?

Post by Selby White »

During the lockdown Mrs SW & myself have been discussing what we want to do when its all over and the world reopens safely.

Two of the things we've decided on is -

1. A River Cruise - We never fancied a cruise of any description until a tour we were on included a 4 night cruise in the middle and we loved it.
So anyone done one or more ?
Which is the best river to tour ?
Which companies are best ? - we are looking at Riviera travel and Viking currently

2. Luxury Train Journey
Watched a few of these on the TV recently and really fancy one of the biggies (probably attaching to a longer holiday).
Looked at the Rocky Mountaineer (Canada) and Rovos Rail (South Africa) so far and they look amazing.
Anyone done one ?
Any other suggestions ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Trains & Boats question

Post by NottinghamWhite »

We’ve done a lot of ocean cruising & we enjoyed it immensely it was to wake every morning in a different city/country. As for river cruising not done that but Rivera & Viking do seem the most popular. The Rhine would be my choice.
We looked at the Orient Express but after some research found they’re not en-suite which is a definite no no from us. Also the bar gets very packed & often you can’t find a seat. The Blue Train which runs in South Africa would be my choice. Saw a documentary on it & it looked amazing.
Winner of the Europa League
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Trains & Boats question ?

Post by Wigan White »

Selby White wrote:During the lockdown Mrs SW & myself have been discussing what we want to do when its all over and the world reopens safely.

Two of the things we've decided on is -

1. A River Cruise - We never fancied a cruise of any description until a tour we were on included a 4 night cruise in the middle and we loved it.
So anyone done one or more ?
Which is the best river to tour ?
Which companies are best ? - we are looking at Riviera travel and Viking currently

2. Luxury Train Journey
Watched a few of these on the TV recently and really fancy one of the biggies (probably attaching to a longer holiday).
Looked at the Rocky Mountaineer (Canada) and Rovos Rail (South Africa) so far and they look amazing.
Anyone done one ?
Any other suggestions ?
Been to Canada loads of times (sister lives in BC). Seen all the places the Rocky Mountaineer would take you through. Well worth a look.

I think dlw10 has done the Rocky Mountaineer train.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Get back to Elland Road.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:Get back to Elland Road.
Eh!
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Get back to Elland Road.
Eh!
Question was, what do we want to do when all this is over :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Trains & Boats question

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:We’ve done a lot of ocean cruising & we enjoyed it immensely it was to wake every morning in a different city/country. As for river cruising not done that but Rivera & Viking do seem the most popular. The Rhine would be my choice.
We looked at the Orient Express but after some research found they’re not en-suite which is a definite no no from us. Also the bar gets very packed & often you can’t find a seat. The Blue Train which runs in South Africa would be my choice. Saw a documentary on it & it looked amazing.
Done the Orient Express. It's worth doing for the experience and to be able to say that you have done it. Pluses are the historic quality of the coaches, the quality of service and the quality of food and drinks. Minuses are, as NW says, no en-suite - just a sink. Never found the bar packed though, nor ever struggled for a seat. One example of the quality of service. The day we went, there were mega storms in the channel. The crossing was delayed for several hours. After we returned from the trip we got a letter from Simplon Orient Express apologising for the delay experience and offering us free tickets on a UK Orient express trip (Pullman) as compensation. We chose the Bath trip and when they were serving lunch the Maitre-D came to the table. Apologised for the delay we had experienced and produced a special menu for her indoors who is a vegetarian. Such attention to detail is standard in the quality of service.
I once played against Don Revie.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

For sheer luxury I would recommend the Queen Mary 2. She's a Trans-Atlantic Liner rather than a cruise ship so she usually does the Southampton/New York run. She also does round the world trips on which you can do the whole journey or you can fly back from somewhere on route (South Africa for instance).

As for the train I offer the Trans Siberian (Moscow/Vladivostok) or Trans Mongolian (Moscow/Beijing). I did the regular Trans Mongolian 30 years ago - in January - and it was basic but there are luxury versions now.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Sniffer wrote:For sheer luxury I would recommend the Queen Mary 2. She's a Trans-Atlantic Liner rather than a cruise ship so she usually does the Southampton/New York run. She also does round the world trips on which you can do the whole journey or you can fly back from somewhere on route (South Africa for instance).

As for the train I offer the Trans Siberian (Moscow/Vladivostok) or Trans Mongolian (Moscow/Beijing). I did the regular Trans Mongolian 30 years ago - in January - and it was basic but there are luxury versions now.
Sniffer, when you did the Trans Monglian 30 years ago. Was that when you escaped from the Gulag? :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

johnh wrote:
Sniffer wrote:For sheer luxury I would recommend the Queen Mary 2. She's a Trans-Atlantic Liner rather than a cruise ship so she usually does the Southampton/New York run. She also does round the world trips on which you can do the whole journey or you can fly back from somewhere on route (South Africa for instance).

Sniffer, when you did the Trans Monglian 30 years ago. Was that when you escaped from the Gulag? :lol:
Thankfully no, John. :D It was the long middle section of an overland journey to Hong Kong. Seven days on a train with the doors between the carriages frequently frozen shut. It was minus 40 outside the train but toasty warm inside.