14%
Hate curry
No votes

Total votes: 14

Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Curries

Post by Barlow Boy »

rigger wrote:Akbar's ! That's the badger.

Went to a cracking place in Selby too - I think it used to be the town hall or some kind of community building because it was an amazing place with really high ceilings and stunning interior décor.

I'm sure someone will tell me the name of that too :)
:D :D.

I think you’re referring to Jinnah, close to the Abbey. Tried it a couple of times, sounds daft this, but it’s a bit too big for me, I prefer the small, scruffy type curry settings personally.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Barlow Boy wrote:

Went to a cracking place in Selby too - I think it used to be the town hall or some kind of community building because it was an amazing place with really high ceilings and stunning interior décor.

I think you’re referring to Jinnah, close to the Abbey. Tried it a couple of times, sounds daft this, but it’s a bit too big for me, I prefer the small, scruffy type curry settings personally.
No, I get that. Sometimes you just yearn for a booth clad in burgundy velour, don't you ? :lol:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

rigger wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:

No, I get that. Sometimes you just yearn for a booth clad in burgundy velour, don't you ? :lol:
:D.

We went to one in Bristol years ago, got rave reviews on all the local sites, the food was very good, but the place was massive, all very, very clean but it just didn’t feel right for a curry place to me.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

We celebrated our silver wedding on Saturday with an Indian takeaway what made it exceptionally good was we had 5 different main courses. When they all mixed in it was delicious. Curry would be my last supper. :D
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

There is also an Akbars in York been a few times and its excellent although not a curry fan so mild for me (Mrs SW loves them).

The one in Selby you are referring to is Jinnahs (opposite the park with the Abbey on your left as you walk out).
They Hall was a Selby Museum when I was young and often referred to as the Museum Hall by locals, Salvation Army used it for a few years after that then it became a restaurant (Italian first and now Indian).
If you are ever up there is a little real ale pub a few doors away called the Doghouse you'll enjoy. The walls are covered in lyrics from songs, can't resist trying to name them all :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
CorkWhite
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by CorkWhite »

I absolutely love a good chicken korma which is a mild curry along with the rice and the flat bread to put the rice and korma inside. I have had it a few times here in an Indian restaurant and it's no way as good as it is back home. That as well as a home made chicken curry and rice. with star shaped carrots, peppers, pineapple and other condiments added for extra punch. Basmati rice is the best rice to go with it normally or the yellow rice.
CorkWhite
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by CorkWhite »

When i first came to the Philippines over 13 years ago for the first time I was introduced to chilies and I wasn't at all impressed with the spicy thing they had going on here at the time. My stomach was constantly upset from it. Six years ago i moved here permanently and I knew if i was to live here full time I'd have to get used to having spicy dishes on a regular basis as a lot of Filipino dishes are made with spices or at least have a side dish with chilies squashed with some soy sauce for some meats etc.

It took me about a month to get into it and now my wife and kids can't get anywhere near the spicy foods because i am the one mangling it. Dried salted fish (bulad) is a great appetizer as an example. I can buy a one and use it when eating a curry adding further spices to the meal. I no longer get any upset stomach and i have even eaten raw chili on a number of occasions and yes it is extremely hot but wow its great.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

We have an Indian couple that live a couple of doors away and a year or so ago I commented on how incredible the aroma of their evening meal was. A couple of days later there was a knock on the door and the lady handed over 2 Tupawear boxes with a vegetable curry, rice and naan bread. All she said was enjoy and believe me we did.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

We have been to Akbars in Leeds and York, both excellent and great value for money.

Was introduced to curry at the Ashoka in the Merrion Centre, Leeds whilst at Uni. First time I really didn't like it but oddly wanted to try it again. Eventually it became our 'go-to' venue after an evening's drinking with one particular friend.

In Nottingham there is quite a sizeable Asian population so it's disappointing that we don't have a really stand out curry venue (although I'm intruiged to learn about NW's take away). Desi Downtown used to be excellent with its open kitchen and great atmosphere but the chefs changed and it went downhill. Our favourite dish was saag gosht - lamb and spinach - which was medium hot. Like someone said jalfrezi is probably my limit in terms of spiciness, can't do madras or vindaloo.

Several years experience has showed me that if the restaurant is run people of Bangladeshi origin then I consistently enjoy their cuisine.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

mapperleywhite wrote:
In Nottingham there is quite a sizeable Asian population so it's disappointing that we don't have a really stand out curry venue (although I'm intruiged to learn about NW's take away). Desi Downtown used to be excellent with its open kitchen and great atmosphere but the chefs changed and it went downhill.
In town

Men Saab Number one in the city for me.
4550 from Delhi way too noisy need the floors covered
Laguna Tandori every one raves about this one

Near us

Gurka Express
Cottage Balti Restaurant

We use Havelli all the time never had a bad meal from there.
Winner of the Europa League