Insignificant things that annoy you

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Insignificant things that annoy you

Post by johnh »

Had to go to the hospital today in Henley-on-Thames. Queued for nearly two miles to get into Henley. Found out it was due to one of the main streets in the town centre being closed. Returning a short time later the queue had disappeared, so I had just timed it right (or wrong) :shock:
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:Had to go to the hospital today in Henley-on-Thames. Queued for nearly two miles to get into Henley. Found out it was due to one of the main streets in the town centre being closed. Returning a short time later the queue had disappeared, so I had just timed it right (or wrong) :shock:
Hope you tried out Henleys new fine dining restaurant for lunch ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

We live on a small cul de sac after moving here 7 years ago so we could downsize & have money in the bank to enjoy our retirement. There’s a mix of 2/3 bedroom houses but the problem is now that there 18 homes here but way too many cars, next door has 3 so one is permanently on the grass at the front leaving an ugly trough on the lawn. Couple opposite ( nice young couple ) have 3 cars in a 2 bedroom house ( his, hers & a works car ) these houses were built to have just one car ( as we have ) Elsewhere on the estate there’s vehicles parked on kerbs ( think I’m right saying this is going to illegal soon )forcing women pushing prams onto the road.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:We live on a small cul de sac after moving here 7 years ago so we could downsize & have money in the bank to enjoy our retirement. There’s a mix of 2/3 bedroom houses but the problem is now that there 18 homes here but way too many cars, next door has 3 so one is permanently on the grass at the front leaving an ugly trough on the lawn. Couple opposite ( nice young couple ) have 3 cars in a 2 bedroom house ( his, hers & a works car ) these houses were built to have just one car ( as we have ) Elsewhere on the estate there’s vehicles parked on kerbs ( think I’m right saying this is going to illegal soon )forcing women pushing prams onto the road.
Also live in a cul-de-sac in the bottom corner but fortunately both our neighbours have one car as we do so all park on our drives.
However the poor couple who live in the opposite corner have two bad neighbours when it comes to cars, they had to fall out with one neighbour as they often blocked their drive. It was all closed when the son moved back in after splitting from his with he had two vans (own & work) plus a big trailer to add to the two cars that already belonged there. It was made worse because his worldly goods filled the garage so couldn't put a car in there. Fortunately he has now got his own place and peace has returned.

Their other neighbours at have two cars and its pot luck where they park, usually where the car comes to rest often blocking the pavement and stuck out on the road at some silly angle not given two hoots for others. Highlight was when he forgot to stop once and knocked his own wall over :lol:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

A bit of uproar in our village the other day caused by parking.

A neighbouring road leads onto a field, which has a hedge and on the other side of the hedge is a farmers field. To stop undesirable vehicles entering the first field, there is a barrier at the end of the road which has a padlock, to which the police, fire authorities etc have a key.

Anyway, a fire broke out in the farmers field, so the fire brigade came flying by only to find access to the barrier leading to the first field blocked by cars (there are several notices asking folk not to park there). The fire brigade had to do a u turn back up the village to find an alternative route to the fire affected area. They then got stuck in mud (which they wouldn’t have done if they could have accessed the first field) and had to be helped out by a fella from the village in his tow truck.

Unsurprisingly, some people living in houses overlooking the first field have gone ballistic saying if the houses had been on fire the fire brigade would not have been able to reach them.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Apparently parking on the kerb isn’t illegal but I would like to think it will be in the future. There’s been a couple of folks reversing into other cars recently due to tightness of space to manoeuvre causing a bit of friction. 2 houses have just sold ( very popular estate its usual for a house to go within a week ) see how many vehicles they bring.
Next door with 3 cars will be interesting as he lost his job whilst on furlough about 6 months back & he’s the only one that works. Surely the cost in maintaining, taxing, insurance & petrol for 3 cars must run into thousands every year.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

People just don’t seem to care where or how they park their vehicles these days it’s annoying but it’s part of modern day culture sadly. Youngsters turning residential areas in to the equivalent of Brands Hatch without giving a jot about their own safety or anybody else’s
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

We are lucky. Nearly everyone retired, most have just the one car. Most drives can accommodate 3 or 4 cars so visitors don't have to park on the road (unless its a very quick visit). We are also a dead end, so no through traffic. Wish I had a quid for every time a visiting tradesman says 'I didn't know this place existed, isn't it quiet?' Best decision we ever made buying this house. Though I must admit, I wanted another property we looked at but her indoors insisted on this one - and am I glad! She doesn't let me forget it though. :shock:
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Opening a new bottle of milk, screwing the top off + having to peel that little lid thing off. Really gets to me for some reason. Opening tins with ring pulls we’ve now invested in a thingyajig that pulls it open.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Opening a new bottle of milk, screwing the top off + having to peel that little lid thing off. Really gets to me for some reason. Opening tins with ring pulls we’ve now invested in a thingyajig that pulls it open.
Packaging generally.
I think I must have the grip strength of a four year old :problem: