Insignificant things that please you

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Insignificant things that please you

Post by Deleted User 728 »

That other thread reads like a list of script ideas for One Foot In The Grave so I thought I'd spread a little positivity ...

The seemingly innocent pleasures of every day life are such a pleasure and I feel grateful to my mother for not having a prejudiced bone in her body and to my stepfather who'd travelled the world with the merchant navy before settling down at 50. He not only shared a similar outlook to my mum, but he also had the kind of sense of humour where he'd always be looking for an angle with people, whether he knew them or not : the aim ? Just to make them laugh or at least smile.
We could be driving somewhere - in his Morris Minor van - and we might go round a roundabout when he'd spot an old boy walking his dog, so he'd take us round again just to parp the horn and get a raised hand from the gent, as if it was some secret club. He never knew the people - I think he just enjoyed the subtle banter between strangers.

So, I always take time to talk to anyone "serving" me in a shop or café or anywhere else, really. It doesn't cost much and it makes both our days better.

- I love the first coffee after waking up. Because of the hours I work I usually sleep twice in the same 24-hour period, sometimes three times if I need to and my espresso pot gets a lot of love.
- I love my cat's feet - they are so utterly beautiful and unique, with different coloured pads on each one. They are so soft and furry one minute, but can be lethal the next.
- I love the smell of her throat - it's like a sheepskin rug kind of aroma that just makes me want to eat her up :D
- I love playing soul, jazz or heavy funk when I'm cooking - it just makes it so much better if you've got a good sound system in the kitchen.
- The first few metres on a bike ride are amazing ! Such a positive thing to do for your body and soul. I also LOVE gliding down long, shallow hills when you don't need to apply any pressure to the pedals for a few hundred yards or so. One of the main arteries into Southampton is called "The Avenue" and if you hit it at the top, just off the motorway junction, you can freewheel for about a mile in total if the lights stay green. That's something.
- I love writing. The physical act of picking up a pen and using it. It's a dying art form and I think that's a shame.
- I love the fact that I've got two weeks off in September, having worked throughout lockdown as normal. Jeanna has the same and though we haven't decided what we're doing I know it'll be fun with her because she is such a beautiful soul.

Coime on then .. let's hear 'em, you miserable lot :lol:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Insignificant things that please you

Post by Davycc »

My animals. Yes I'm a softie.
Max the dog for his total love and attention, I have near threadbare jeans on my left leg where he constantly leans against me where ever I go, he just has to lean into me.
Mollie and Millie our cats. Two chalk and cheese animals Mollie so stand offish, does not like being touched. Millie, well she's like the animal version of a cleaver plant, she has to be sitting on you.
Chiquita the Conure so bonded with me that she free flies everyday out in the front field. Used to just follow me around the garden but since the arrival of the above two that's stopped!

Summer morning, early when it's actually nice sitting outside with a cuppa.
Listening to teenagers in shops etc when they say thank you and please and offer seats to others, restores my confidence a lot that does.
One I really miss. Throwing my motorcycle gear on and going for a run up along the Antrim coast - bliss.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

My luxury is watching cricket on a nice summers day you can’t beat it it’s like watching a game of chess unfold. Sitting looking at the sea is another favourite past time I love listening to the waves rolling in. Yes I love that first cup of coffee. Anyway back to t’other thread I like been miserable :lol:
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

My Dog -

Not a day goes by when he doesn’t make me smile, laugh or have fun with him.

Those ‘welcome homes’ even if I’ve just been out for 20 minutes or so, those tail wags when I just look at him and just the sheer pleasure of having him in the family. They say that, no matter how many dogs you have in your lifetime, one will be that special one, one that touches your heart and he is definitely mine, he’s 11 in a few weeks and he will get the full works at his party :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Veggies, those I've planted myself and a few weeks later the shoots appear out of the ground.
Good harvest this year that can only described as tasty :D
Potato's, Onions, carrots, green beens, lettuce, tomatos, courgette along with a few herbs are now feeding us.
Sprouts, Swedes, Broccoli, Rasberrys and gooseberries to come we are turning into a real Tom and Barbara ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Will agree with the coffee drinkers :thumbup:

NW also mentioned the sea but add to that wild streams and waterfalls all great to sit and watch.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Watching a comedy show that is funny without the use of gratuitous bad language, excessive and tasteless sexual content or personal stereotyping.

Good manners especially children in school.

Good customer services, which is quite rare these days.

Looking out of the window to discover everywhere is covered with snow.

Bargains of any description.

Talking to friends.

I love the sea and walking along the beach.

Cats.

When my cooking turns out just right.

Teaching Reception children to write.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

I had the good fortune to live in Menton on the French Mediterranean coast almost on the border with Italy for a short while. There was a Scottish lady as a work colleague who had lived there for many a year and she told me that "once you've lived next to the sea you always want to". I think that's right (even though I haven't achieved it since :lol: )

Cats - yes! I took care of one from a neighbouring house when I was a student in Leeds. I always remember when I had broken my right leg it would sit on my left one and keep me company.

Dogs....mmmh. When I was perhaps 4 or 5 my godparents arrived with their dog and let it into the garden. In my enthusiasm I wanted to play and it bit me, so I'm afraid it's a lifelong no-no for me.

I've seen the grief the passing of a pet has caused my friends - not to mention the vets bills! - so I'm unlikely to become a pet owner at my stage of life.

I'm a card carrying member of the night owl club. But I used to love driving from Nottingham to Frankfurt and getting on the road at 0530 and 'claiming the day for myself'. I could arrive in Frankfurt at 4 PM have a siesta, a few beers, decent snap and ready for business the next morning.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:
NW also mentioned the sea but add to that wild streams and waterfalls all great to sit and watch.
Can only agree with this walking the Yorkshire Dales is a real joy. A few years back we walked to Janets Foss & spent an hour listening & watching, it was fabulous. We are going to Scarborough in a couple of weeks & will drive to North Bay & sit & watch the waves there’s nothing better in my opinion.
Winner of the Europa League