Famous Stadiums

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Famous Stadiums

Post by Selby White »

And down in the Smoke -

Old Wembley - Visited Wembley many times and of course the most important one was in 1972.
Followed England a lot in the late 70's & 80's so lost count of number of times I've been to the Old stadium.
My first though was as a young kid on a School trip to see England v Germany schoolboy international, no guessing which person from our School got lost and they had to send a search party looking for me.

Upton Park - As NW says the ICF had a reputation but to be honest never had any bother there. Always enjoyed the atmosphere, they were a noisy bunch especially with the bubble blowing song.

White Hart Lane - Now they were an horrible bunch and never felt safe. Always thought it better to get the Overland commuter train from Liverpool Street to White Hart Lane station (the route most Spurs fans took) rather than risk the walk from Seven Sisters Underground where search parties would be hunting you.
Loftus Road

Loftus Road - First trip was 1974, last game of the season to see us lift the title.
Many trips since and about the easiest London Stadium to get to without any danger of trouble, always had good banter with Rangers fans before the match in the Pub next to the ground.
Saying that remember one match a Mob of Chelsea turned up intent on attacking Leeds fans, were soon shown the way home.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Over the Hills -

Burnden Park
First & only visit was to the second semi final replay back in 1970. A Billy overhead kick settled the game. Many believe that the three games between us & Scum started the fierce rivalry as all three games off the pitch were nasty affairs.

Turf moor
Been on a couple of occasions using the cricket club as my preferred watering hole.

Ewood Park
In the last few years we’ve been given large allocations (9000) it’s clubs like Blackburn that will take a financial hit with us now in the Premiership. Nice old ground where I’ve always felt reasonably safe.

Boundary Park
Best mate was/still is a fanatical York City supporter & I first went here with him in the 1974-75 season when City played there. It was blooming cold I know that. We were offered the chance to hire a blanket as we went in & by the time we realised how cold it was we returned but all the blankets had gone.

Old Trafford
Admission time my first visit was to the European Cup semi-final in 1968 as a another friend had a spare ticket so I crossed the hills with him & his dad. My main reason for going was because I wanted to see the legendary Francisco Gento play, he didn’t disappoint. The tie was won by a Best goal & I was one of the few inside the ground that didn’t cheer.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Burnden Park is the reason I wont wear a ring on my finger.
The Leeds fans were all leaving and the police tried to funnel us all through one small gate, was a real crush and my hand got trapped with the crowd pushing causing the ring to rip the skin off back of my finger, horrible it was.

Only did Oldham once for a match and don't remember much about it. However played football on the pitch at a stag do, they used to hire it out when they first got Astro turf.

Old Trafford - Lots of times have been, last time in 2002 to watch Leeds although I did go about 5 or 6 years back to support Cambridge (with a friend from there) in a FA Cup replay.

Ewood Park - Decent day out and usually a decent bunch of fans.

Turf Moor - Never been.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Boundary Park - went there in the 1989/1990 season, bloody cold, might have been a Friday night, got beat 3-1 with Bobby Davison scoring our only goal. As we were leaving all you could here was smash, smash, smash as the lightbulbs on the scoreboard got a workout :shh:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

West Midlands -

Molyneaux
My first visit was that night in 1972 which I’ve posted about several times.

Victoria Ground
Great old ground visited a few times from 1969 onwards.

Villa Park
Probably the best ground in England steeped with tradition & history. Have loved my visits over the years.

Highfield Road
Went just the once of the top of my head can’t remember the season. I remember a few skirmishes walking from the station.

Hawthorns
One of my first away days in 1968 think it was a 2-2 draw. Today they can boast the best pub at football in The Vine it’s a great venue serving delicious tandoori food.
Winner of the Europa League