Famous Stadiums

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Famous Stadiums

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I was at Wembley in 1975 when Malcolm MacDonald scored all 5 goals against Cyprus in a 5-0 win.
And got dropped for the next game if my memory hasn't deserted.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Hillsborough - Was at the FA Cup semi-final in 72 as a child, Leeds had the Leapings Lane end and it was almost the crush Liverpool encountered later, was dangerously over full. Us kids were passed overhead by the adults to the front then marched round to sit on the path in front of one of the side stands (in front of the Brummies) and watched the fantastic performance from there.

Was also at the Semi later in the 70's against Scum, not a happy day as Sheff Wed passed their allocation of tickets to those in red which meant rather than been neutral we were well outnumbered (only got around 16k tickets for a 50k crowd). Those of us with standing tickets were in the big open Kop which was split down the middle with a thin blue police line which in the main kept the two lots of fans apart. However afterwards they tried to keep the Leeds fans in while Scum left but with the majority of police inside the ground there was a mass break out and it was carnage outside.

All day we were treated as 2nd class citizens, there was a bus strike in Sheffield yet they took to Manchester trains into the station at Hillsborough while all the Leeds fans had to walk the 5 miles from the City centre before and after the game.

My only other time at Hillsboro was against Wolves (I think) when Elland Road was closed for 4 games because of the Ray Tinkler West Brom incident.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Around Yorkshire -

Hillsborough
A ground I’ve visited on many occasions including a FA Cup semi final against Scum in 1970. In the same season I made my first visit watching us win 2-1. A proper ground unlike today’s flat pack stadia. We played a “home” game against Newcastle there in 1971 after ER was closed for crowd trouble.

Boothferry Park
My first visit was to watch a “home” game against Spurs in 1971. Think it was a draw :roll:

Leeds Road
Same as above watched the “ home “ game against Wolves here that was a draw as well. I can remember walking from the station & any Leeds fan stepping onto the road got a crack on the legs by a police baton.

Ayresome Park
One of those grounds you had to keep your wits about you could be a bit nawty at times.

Bramhall Lane
Can’t remember which game it was but the away end was raining red seats at the end. Always regret never watching YCCC play there.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Boothferry Park - Only saw Leeds play there once which as one of my Hillsboro visits above because our stadium was closed following the West Brom incident. We faced Spurs at Hull and if I remember correctly was a draw.

That wasn't my first visit as a kid my mates Dad was a relation of a Hull player (Ken Wagstaff) and it got us a invite to Hull v Scum in the Watney Cup (if anyone can remember that low key competition). Anyway Hull did well taking it to extra time and penalties only to blow it when their keeper took the 5th shot and blazed it well over the bar.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:

Boothferry Park
My first visit was to watch a “home” game against Spurs in 1971. Think it was a draw :roll:
Haha, Think we were both writing that at the same time :thumbup:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:
Haha, Think we were both writing that at the same time :thumbup:
:lol:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote: Ayresome Park
One of those grounds you had to keep your wits about you could be a bit nawty at times.
Horrible place, always in that silly Open corner with no shelter and it always rained (Chemical rain up there with all the ICI factories :shock: ).
Nawty without doubt got punched twice in one day, once from behind walking to the ground and once as we left, both for no other reason than I was a suspected Leeds fan (wasn't wearing colours).
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leeds Road - Was very young when my Dad took me for my only visit in the 60's to see Leeds and can't honestly remember much about it.

Bramhall Lane - Been a quite few times including both the times when the Leeds fans got there early and filled the Shoreham Street end (pay at the gate back then). They have never forgiven us for taking their "Kop" ever since :lol:

My first trip as a Kid (Dad took me to few in the 60's) was when it was also a Cricket ground and if memory recalls a certain brilliant Centre forward was playing for them, Mick Jones that was the name :D
Deleted User 10260

Post by Deleted User 10260 »

Ayresome Park made you feel like an extra in one flew over the cuckoo nest.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

And down in the Smoke -

Old Wembley
My first visit was that fantastic day in 1972. A day I’ve posted about on many occasions on here. Still my favourite ever day watching Leeds.

Upton Park
Another ground you needed to be careful at. Their ICF were without doubt a top “firm”

White Hart Lane
Proper ground one I’ve visited many times over the years. A really good friend moved to London in 1970 just so he could watch Spurs, he’s still there.

Loftus Road
Used to work at a pub in Bayswater a favourite haunt of the chief steward at LR I didn’t miss a home game for 6 months using a complimentary ticket he would provide for every game. This pub was a regular haunt of RamseyWhite. Loved this compact little ground & it was great seeing Bowles & Marsh in their heyday, fantastic footballers in a really good team back then full of England international’s