What are you currently listening to ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: What are you currently listening to ?

Post by Saxon »

I heard songs by these artists this week.
Not sure of their exposure in the UK, but pretty easy listening that you can get into first time around.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

A more recent live video from Denmark of this won't play, but this week when a kid at work said to me " You old timers don't got it no more", I referred him to the live from Denmark version, worth looking for.
Here's a version from long time ago, still a classic.

Takes a while to start.

Saxon

Post by Saxon »

This by the great Zimbabwe musician Lovemore Majaivana.
People from Zimbabwe listen to this music and say, "What happened to our Motherland?"

The second song,'Prayer for Mandella', is not the original it is a later version by Lovemore after he formed the 'Zulu Band'.
The original was by a band called 'Jobs Combination',which lovemore joined in the late 1970's. My brother in law Brian was a founding member of Jobs and co wrote this song.After a few years in Salisbury with 'Jobs', Lovemore returned to his native matabele land and formed the Zulu Band.

Notes in wrong order.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Stage presence, entertainment, original.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Compilation of various artists that recorded at Chicago's Chess Records studio.

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Van Morrison :- Astral Weeks, Madame George from the cd is one of my favourite songs.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

The best of The Beatles as I run the hoover.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Toronzo Cannon & the Cannonball Express "My Woman"

Saw Toronzo live while in Chicago a few years back in one of the Blues Clubs and as I do bought his CD.

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

These 2 videos are the same song, the first video is the finale instrumental live, the second is complete original recording.It's a long song and requires the words to be listened to deeply to grasp the overall picture Mark Knopfler is painting.
Billy Joel in 'Allentown', and Chrissie Hynde in 'Ohio' My City was Gone, talk of the loss of employment, industry,decaying infrastructure,loss of traditional American way of life with a good standard of living. Here Dire Straights follow a similar path, I am using somebody else's words here, but it sums up the song entirely, "Theme of building America, and dashing a mans dream".
Second video is a slow burner, but you don't paint a picture, a masterpiece, in 3 minutes.
OK, second one is not a video, but it gives you time to focus on words and feelings, as in Mark Knopflers anguish in the line, "Desperation exploding to Pain."

Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Las Vegas not really my cup of tea, I was there for a wedding just before covid broke early last year, apart from the wedding the other highlight of the trip was an evening spent away from the 'Strip', downtown in the city. This video of the light show on Freemont street was the one playing when I was there features the music of Las Vegas band , The Killers. I haven't heard much of their stuff, but other people tell me they are highly regarded, but this post is about the video featuring the light show more than the music.
Freemont street is an old street completely covered with a dome, seeing the light show live is quite an experience and it's almost hypnotizing, that's besides all the other entertainment going on.
Forgot to mention, the light show is up above on the dome, the dark shapes you see flying about are people on overhead wires, zip lines i believe the word is.

Last edited by Saxon on 01 May 2021, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.