What are you currently listening to ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: What are you currently listening to ?

Post by Selby White »

Last night when we eventually came in from spending the evening chilling in the garden flicked through the tv channels and found on Sky Arts (channel 11 for those of us only on freeview) a Carole King concert filmed in 2005 "Welcome to my living room", really enjoyed it.
Lots of songs so wrote that you associate with other acts if you didn't know.

Three years back we went to the musical "Beautiful" telling her life story which we both thought was excellent, in fact Mrs SW's favourite so far (I've got it in 2nd place). We've seen a few.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Oliver Mtukudzi was a childhood friend of my Wife and her brothers.
I met him when he was on a North American tour many years ago.
Recently an elderly friend of my Wife and myself lost her husband, I think of her when I listen to this song.
Oliver is saying to Neria, "Have strength, God is on your side'.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Natalie Merchant's words about this song.
"This is a very meaningful song to many people who grew up with special needs. No explanation of their condition, the work of God in creation.
This song describes their strengths in spite of what others see as deficiencies"

Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Selby White wrote:Last night when we eventually came in from spending the evening chilling in the garden flicked through the tv channels and found on Sky Arts (channel 11 for those of us only on freeview) a Carole King concert filmed in 2005 "Welcome to my living room", really enjoyed it.

Three years back we went to the musical "Beautiful" telling her life story which we both thought was excellent, in fact Mrs SW's favourite so far (I've got it in 2nd place). We've seen a few.

I've only been to one musical in my life, but quite an event.
Myself and a few friends went to see 'Hair' at the Grand theatre in Leeds around 1970.
The play was groundbreaking in that it openly referenced drug taking and sexuality. it spawned a few hit songs notably Aquarius,Let the sun shine in, ain't got no. My friends and myself got the last available tickets for that night, Martin booked a box for our group. Smuggled in bottles of Newcastle brown and vodka in our army great coats, (the fashion of the day), we had our own little party.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Saxon wrote:
Selby White wrote:Last night when we eventually came in from spending the evening chilling in the garden flicked through the tv channels and found on Sky Arts (channel 11 for those of us only on freeview) a Carole King concert filmed in 2005 "Welcome to my living room", really enjoyed it.

I've only been to one musical in my life, but quite an event.
Myself and a few friends went to see 'Hair' at the Grand theatre in Leeds around 1970.
The play was groundbreaking in that it openly referenced drug taking and sexuality. it spawned a few hit songs notably Aquarius,Let the sun shine in, ain't got no. My friends and myself got the last available tickets for that night, Martin booked a box for our group. Smuggled in bottles of Newcastle brown and vodka in our army great coats, (the fashion of the day), we had our own little party.
Think we've done eight I can recall but all about music acts.
Beautiful we actually did while in New York.
In London we've seen 3, Sunny Afternoon (The Kinks) which was excellent have it at my top one (Mrs SW chooses Beautiful as I said earlier).
Also in London saw Jersey Boys (Frankie Valli) which is also good but the worst in both our opinions was Thriller (Michael Jackson) yet I know lots think it was great.

All others we've done have been in York, All Day and all of the night (Small Faces) at Theatre Royal and at the Grand Opera House Johnny Cash, Simon & Garfinkel and The Carpenters.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

This is from Dire Straights early album, 'On every Street'.
Listening to this song I think of who and where it might be played.Thinking of a county fair somewhere down Texas, group of boys and girls drinking moonshine, wondering how long? or a backyard cookout and Granny gets up to dance showing the young un's how it's done.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Beth Hart here, great cover of Warren Haynes/Allman's "Soulshine" this girl's got that ability to what we used to say about soul singers, that she can transfer a feeling, an emotion in her song.
Mid song, the line starting "Sometimes a man", right there, grip your heart.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Saxon wrote:Natalie Merchant's words about this song.
"This is a very meaningful song to many people who grew up with special needs. No explanation of their condition, the work of God in creation.
This song describes their strengths in spite of what others see as deficiencies"

I somehow missed this Saxon, I have the album Our time in Eden by 10,000 Maniacs whom Natalie Merchant was songwriter and vocalist, what a voice that woman has, still listen to it fairly regularly :thumbup:
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

Currently making a big batch of Pear, hazelnut and port chutney. Soundtrack to my morning in the kitchen is Roy Buchanan live at Rockplast. Very underrated guitarist in my humble opinion.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

One of my fav Chicago Blues artists John Primer -