What are you currently listening to ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: What are you currently listening to ?

Post by Saxon »

rigger wrote:These days I only really listen to jazz, latin, country and a bit of electronica. Classical in the car because I don't like pop stations.

I was lucky enough to see Wynton Marsalis and his Jazz Orchestra at the Barbican about five years ago. They more or less covered the entire history of jazz, playing big band, swing, quartets and trios, film scores, more modern pieces and loads of stuff everyone knows, explaining the stories behind each as the evening progressed. He introduced a couple of up and coming players - both London teenagers - one on sax, one on trumpet, who took lead solos at times, while there were also a few jazz dancers on stage at various points in the evening.
The hall is stunning and the acoustics are immaculate, so all in all it was a very memorable occasion : a living legend leading it all, plus an audio-visual feast unfolding before your very eyes.
Most of the audience dressed up too - myself included - so it felt like some 1930s speakeasy where everyone knew they were privileged to be there :D

Nice descriptive write up Rigger.
You would enjoy a visit to my local hairdresser located in the Spanish section of our city. Colombia, Puerto Rica, Mexico, Brazil, you name it, all represented there. It's a grass roots experience, people's way of life, it's a warm welcome and a dance fest as soon as you walk through the door.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

You're recommending a hairdresser.

... to me ?? :problem: :lolno: :D

Sounds like fun though.
Latin/world music is just so much more vibrant than the usual western combo of guitars/bass/drums/poser.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Been on a Mark Knopfler trip myself this morning.
Started out with Dire straits 'On Every Street', released 1991.Standout track for me is 'Iron Hand'. Mark paints a picture of an infantry battle, possibly thinking of an American civil war battle when he wrote this, "The gleam of spur on chestnut flank, the cavalry did burst upon the ranks".
Song ends with oft repeated thought, "Same old fears, same old crimes, we haven't changed since ancient times."

Moved on to Mark Knopfler solo album from early 2000's, 'sailing to Philadelphia'. Title track sharing vocals with James Taylor, is a great story of in Knopflers words, "A Geordie and a bakers boy', they survey the Mason/Dixon line, to draw the line. As they near the US coast, "See America lies there,the morning tide has raised the capes of Delaware", how does mark knopfler know stuff like this? Careful if you're driving when you get to track #10, 'Speedway at Nazareth',you'll already be driving twice the speed limit.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

As a side note, Mark Knopfler's favourite pub is in Leeds, the Grove Inn, or just The Grove, I think from his student days in Leeds.
I remember back in the 1960's it was a folk music venue, my dad's house was only a couple of miles from there. I might have been in a couple of times but in those days I was into the mod scene.Last time I was in Leeds about 5 years ago I dropped in for a pint,great beer, the tables were old Singer sewing machines, with the sewing machine removed from the table top.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Saxon wrote:As a side note, Mark Knopfler's favourite pub is in Leeds, the Grove Inn, or just The Grove, I think from his student days in Leeds.
I remember back in the 1960's it was a folk music venue, my dad's house was only a couple of miles from there. I might have been in a couple of times but in those days I was into the mod scene.Last time I was in Leeds about 5 years ago I dropped in for a pint,great beer, the tables were old Singer sewing machines, with the sewing machine removed from the table top.
Cracking pub.
Always used to meet up there after games before heading to the big curry house by the station :)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Hazel O'Connor & the Subterraneans "Fighting Back"
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

A little Claude Debussy to be more specific Arabesque No 1 in E major.
Winner of the Europa League
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

Selby White wrote:Hazel O'Connor & the Subterraneans "Fighting Back"
I was in the film Breaking Glass with her - the riot scene under the overpass.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

psquithy wrote:
Selby White wrote:Hazel O'Connor & the Subterraneans "Fighting Back"
I was in the film Breaking Glass with her - the riot scene under the overpass.
Nice one :thumbup:
Have the Breaking Glass Album on vinyl.

She's played at Selby Town Hall a couple of times in recent years.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Burt Bacharach - Instrumentals of his most well known songs.