What are you currently listening to ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: What are you currently listening to ?

Post by Selby White »

"Night time is the Right time" The Animals with Sonny Boy Williamson

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Paul Weller with his live acoustic versions of lots of his Jam, style council & early solo stuff.

Saw The Jam live at Bridlington Spa back in the day.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

You gave us many years of great enjoyment, RIP Charlie.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Here's another one for Charlie.
'If you need me', originally written and performed by Wilson Pickett early 60's.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

We all have our own favorite genres of music.In my case it's Soul, Memphis Soul, the Stax record label.
Whatever the description of Memphis/Stax, usually stated as a combination of The Blues, Gospel, vocalists who are able to transfer a feeling, and backing musicians able to play with the same intent as the vocalist whether a slow heart breaker or a more upbeat song.
I didn't realize at the time but soul was a factor in events that changed my life, for the better I might say.
So how did this come about, a white teenager, without any aim in life, growing up in Holbeck, a working class suburb of leeds. It started when I left school at 16 and started an apprenticeship with a local engineering company. I realized that there were 2 groups of boys working there. One group seemed to like to drink,fight, and do as little as possible, the other group were more intelligent, wanted to learn, and generally seemed to have a life with more direction. I gradually became accepted into this second group who were 'Mods', as opposed to the other group, 'Greasers'. Being part of this group I adopted their culture,eg style of clothing, type of music, open mindedness, as accepting change but still respecting tradition, accepting diversity in race, religion, ethnic background etc.
Back to the music which was a huge part of our culture, type of music..Soul, I loved it, and gravitated away from the lighter stuff by Motown to the grittier
Stax and southern style which I could 'feel', whether it made my heart break or I wanted to dance.So I'm hooked on soul, but I still listened to blues rock and a bit of progressive.I'm hanging with a good crowd now, instead of going to the pub and getting wasted, I'm going to concerts, getting invited to party's and gatherings of intelligent people, their influence is rubbing off on me, I have a direction in life, something for all their love and support, my parents couldn't do.
My favorite Stax artists became Otis Redding and Carla Thomas, who sometimes recorded together.
Advance a few years, I am on a track of life with direction, mainly due to the mod culture and very good friends. I decide to do a bit of traveling, where again my music choice,and liberal thinking influenced my direction in life. On Christmas eve 1972, I met a beautiful young lady, who was an image of Dianna Ross, we started dating. Her father had died a year earlier and her older brother was now head of the family, and checking me out as a Father would. I had a couple of aces in my hand in this respect, one, both my girlfriend ( now wife of 48 years), and her brother supported Leeds United.Other trump card was that the whole family were musicians and soul,southern soul was their favorite genre, believe it or not, my wife had 2 children at a very early age, one of them was named Otis, named after Otis Redding.
So I wish to play a couple of songs by Otis Redding and other Stax artists in celebration of his too short life.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

One of my favourites from Tracey Chapman.Cleveland native , she got her break just up the road from here while at college in Boston.
Listen for the word 'Whisper'.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Easy on the ears, Van matures with age.
When I travel with my Wife this is on constant replay, she has great taste in music.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Just signed up to Spotify and got Apple car play sorted so it's a bit of Buble and some Shania.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

This Mornings album -