13%
Don’t put anything up
6%

Total votes: 16

johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Christmas tree

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:My earliest recollections of Christmas was the Old Mother Riley movie every Christmas Day morning. Arthur Lucan who played OMR was married to co-star Kitty O’Shea. I watched a biopic on them & she definitely wore the trousers. Seen a few of these biopics including Hattie Jacques who came over as a nymphomaniac, Hughie Green who was a serial cheater & Tony Hancock was came over as a very sad man.
I went on a works outing to Blackpool in about 1952. It was a day trip and ended with a show at the main theatre (was it the Winter Gardens?) One of the acts was Tony Hancock who was a stand up comedian (before he became famous). I remember he wore a blue zoot suit with a gap between the bottom of the trousers and his shoes. He had white socks and the shoes had 3 inch thick crepe soles. Don't remember anything about the act!
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Just back from my walk around the estate & there’s loads with decorations up, trees & lights it’s only December 1st :roll:
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Just back from my walk around the estate & there’s loads with decorations up, trees & lights it’s only December 1st :roll:
Just done the same and seems more than ever.
As you say its early but suspect some of it has to do with people been at home through Covid.
Next week we will do ours.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Just put our outside lights up, got the decorations down from the loft and off out to get a tree this afternoon.

Too early, my whatsit :D :D :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

I'd put them up in the last week if I could, but we did it last Friday :crazy:

In my defence, there is a long running (since 1962) Friday night chat show on RTE television called the Late Late Show. Every year since 1974, they do the Late Late Toy Show. Kids adore it, adults are nostalgic for it. Wife wanted the decorations up to create an atmosphere for my 2 little ones.

It worked. They normally fall asleep, but for the first time they managed to yawn their way to 11.45pm - special treat staying up that late for it.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Warning signs are here in our house. Walked in to smell Cinnamon Christmassy smells from sachets on the radiators. Only a matter of time before the "You need to get the tree down!" statements start. I can usually get a few days out of those before having to act. STA for tree now set for Saturday.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

We had to abandon ship on getting the tree this afternoon, our usual place had sold out :shock:, thankfully, they are expecting more from their farms tomorrow.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

I've seen lights at quite a few houses going back 3 weeks when driving around at night. Won't be putting ours up for at least another week although Mrs BW made the Christmas cake over the weekend.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Next week at the earliest for us, and that’s too soon for me. Bah humbug.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Our tree and decorations are a week old today, so many houses had theirs up well before ours.