Smart TV

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Smart TV

Post by NottinghamWhite »

The kids are saying we should upgrade our 40” TV to a smart TV. Simply this..

What’s the difference ?
Is it easy to set up ?
Is the quality better ?
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Re: Smart TV

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Diff ?
A smart TV means it has apps built into the software/interface of the TV itself, so it's a bit like a big smartphone in that you have a kind of "desktop" screen with access to Netflix, Prime, i-Player, ITV-Player, 4-OD, etc as well as the usual TV tuner built in.

Easy ?
Yep. Like most tech these days, it's pretty much plug and play with a tutorial included as an animation video on installation set-up as well as the manual (if it has one) for the old school types who like to read everything before plugging in.

Quality ?
Well, it depends what you go for. Get as good a machine as your budget allows, but ideally 4K for that ultra-smooth, SuperHD quality that will see the set last for a good few years.

I run a "dumb" TV and use a Firestick to access the streaming services. It's one of the single most frustrating pieces of technology I've ever had the misfortune to use, with a really poor quality and cumbersome remote that needs pressing once before it does anything, leading to lots of mis-cues and lots of swearing. For this reason alone, I'm in the same boat as you considering whether or not to get a new TV altogether.
The stick was given to Jeanna and it does the job, but it's so annoying. Luckily, as she works for Waitrose, she gets a staff discount with John Lewis and she knows someone in the right department of the local branch so I'll probably bite the bullet sometime in the new year.
To be honest, I can't wait, if only because it'll mean my current 43" screen becomes the monitor for my desktop PC : I can't wait to play games on that puppy :D
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Thanks Riggs looks like I’ll be getting a new telly in the new year. Nowt wrong with the old one but hopefully a charity somewhere will be grateful for it.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Many years back I bought my first flat screen television which at the time was expensive. I decided to give the old television to charity and I tried a few but the were only accepting flat screen TV’s so ended up driving to the tip where a council worker asked me was it working to which I answered yes I’ll take it home then.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Yep, smart TV is the way to go SW but unless I'm just unlucky don't go thinking the web browser will take over your iPad/laptop/Chromebook etc. From my experience they are really slow but then again that's not the big selling point. I purchased a wireless keyboard and mouse when I got my first smart TV but ended up never using it. As Rigger says check for what apps are pre-installed. My Phillips doesn't have Amazon and it's only 8 months old but I believe Phillips now come with it so check the model. I am still connecting my Chromebook to it for Amazon.

To be honest we now watch Netflix through Sky even though it has the Netflix app which we used at first. (Sky - I know but I'm a pushover and watch a lot of different channels.) So in reality I think we use the Smart capability very rarely. In saying that though if I was changing, won't be though, I'd still go for Smart. :crazy:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I refuse to pay for TV through a supplier like Virgin or Sky - I just think it's too expensive.
Now TV is a good idea but still a bit too expensive IMHO.
Jeanna has Amazon Prime and a sub for Netflix while I subscribe to Disney (scifi, animation and Discovery) so we're pretty covered.
The iPlayer is what I probably use most if I'm honest. I would definitely use 4-OD a lot more if it weren't for the adverts. I love a lot of their output, but I cannot be arsed with five minutes of commercials for every 15 minutes of content, and I won't pay for the premium service on principle. I already pay a TV license so morally I think it's wrong to charge anyone again for what is essentially a freeview archive.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I remember our first TV (1963). Rented. Black and white, BBC1 and ITV. Not a brilliant picture as we lived at the bottom of a very steep hill and the guy said that the signal wasn't good. The signal came from (from memory - Home Moss) which was up on the moors over Lancashire way but our hill was between 'it' and 'us' (and probably a couple of hundred other hills!). 'Smart' wasn't a word I remember being used for TV sales in those days. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

The main reason I have Sky is for the sport especially football & cricket. Yes it’s very expensive & we were thinking of knocking it on the head but given these last 9 months we’ve had nothing to spend our money on it remains.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I'm with those that wont pay for the Premium TV services but we don't normally watch TV that much and would rather put the money towards holidays or going out. So its the mainstream stuff and Freeview when we do or connecting the Laptop to the TV and streaming Sport or films.
But can also appreciate where NW is coming from as this year has been very different and would say have watched more TV than ever through Covid.

Saved a fortune with Holidays and going out cancelled but actually spent much more doing up our home (covid renovations) New windows, new boiler, new kitchen ongoing along with carpets and decorating. Work is ongoing reckon everything should be done by March/April next year.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Right have decided I’m buying one up to around £500 any recommendations please ?